• cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    Thanks, @DoggyDaddy

We found out last night. Vuky and dad were best friends, and we grew up with Billy III. Sharing Bill and Joyce’s grief of losing their son in a sprint car was one of the toughest periods in my life, superseded only by the loss of my own father and older brother.

Dad went suddenly at 72, Bill’s passing was, although unexpected, seen coming in his declining health. And as hard as it was for us, dad got the easier end of the deal.

Both of these men lived hard lives, and with both feet on the throttle on the track and off in many ways. When asked about my dad, my uncle Merle said “His life was a trophy dash”. Vuky’s was too.

Anyone who survived racing sprint cars and Indy cars in the 1960s and 1970s has the scars to prove it and both these men were no exception.

RIP Vuky. Now go find the old man and have a beer together.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Wow. Bill Sr. and Bill III both died young in tragic crashes. Rest in Peace Bill Jr.

tbhausen

Master
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    Thanks, @DoggyDaddy

We found out last night. Vuky and dad were best friends, and we grew up with Billy III. Sharing Bill and Joyce’s grief of losing their son in a sprint car was one of the toughest periods in my life, superseded only by the loss of my own father and older brother.

Dad went suddenly at 72, Bill’s passing was, although unexpected, seen coming in his declining health. And as hard as it was for us, dad got the easier end of the deal.

Both of these men lived hard lives, and with both feet on the throttle on the track and off in many ways. When asked about my dad, my uncle Merle said “His life was a trophy dash”. Vuky’s was too.

Anyone who survived racing sprint cars and Indy cars in the 1960s and 1970s has the scars to prove it and both these men were no exception.

RIP Vuky. Now go find the old man and have a beer together.
    Excellent words.

tbhausen

Master
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    I’m sure dad and Vuky have resumed their long running argument about who is a better race car driver. They had an agreement that whichever one passed first, the other wouldn’t go to the funeral. Vuky honored it.

Top Bottom