• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JollyMon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    Westfield, IN
    So me being impatient and not being able to find the correct allen wrench, attempted to remove the screws to my rmr (which have always been the bane of my existence) with a different type of bit. But of course the tool bit that I was using broke off into the screw flush with the head.

How do you all suggest removing the bit, so that I can replace these stripped screws with replacements (and so I can send my RMR for repair as the battery contact issue that is driving me crazy)?

Almost everything I have tried to jam in there to help wedge it out is either too big, or too flimsy to make a difference..... I think I need to have someone drill it out.

73417DA5-8DC8-421F-BC19-7B5FAC830254_zpsgvxodswr.jpg

JollyMon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    Westfield, IN
    Thats the only thing I could think of but have no easy out that size. Pretty sure when its all said and done, Ill be taking a trip to a gun smith to remove it

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    A left handed drill bit will probably get them both out at the same time (yes...its really a thing)

BTW, the other screw looks pretty boogered up too. Id get the right tool, or get an easyout for that one.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    A left handed drill bit will probably get them both out at the same time (yes...its really a thing)

This would be my thoughts as well.

Depending on what brand of torx bit you used, maybe you can break it into chunks and it would fall out. Sometimes the rockwell on those things are super hard and they're brittle

G3hkray

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2015
    valparaiso
    Drill bits won't work on tool steel. I would find some one with a tig welder. Could have that out in 30 seconds and save the screw if you wanted it

JollyMon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    Westfield, IN
    Thanks everyone for the suggestions! I actually just decided to shoot 150 rounds through the gun and it worked itself out.... now to find the right bit and buy some replacement screws. Guess it was a happy-ish ending.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Thanks everyone for the suggestions! I actually just decided to shoot 150 rounds through the gun and it worked itself out.... now to find the right bit and buy some replacement screws. Guess it was a happy-ish ending.

That's good news. And a creative way to problem solve.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Buy a good set of gunsmithing screw drivers. I have a set from Winchester that have served me well. The driver should fit snugly. Those could be metric or standard. It looks like you used a Torx bit in a Allen head. Look very closely.

There might be some lock tight on those screws. You might hold a soldering iron on the screw head for a few minutes before you try removing the screws again.

ljk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    May 21, 2013
    Buy a good set of gunsmithing screw drivers. I have a set from Winchester that have served me well. The driver should fit snugly. Those could be metric or standard. It looks like you used a Torx bit in a Allen head. Look very closely.

There might be some lock tight on those screws. You might hold a soldering iron on the screw head for a few minutes before you try removing the screws again.

Buy the real Hex keys made by Bondhus or Eklind in the USA. Menards carries these.

link

https://www.menards.com/main/tools-...ation-set-22-piece/p-1444429734259-c-9158.htm

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Dental pick. Stainless hooked kind.

Next time you'll use the right tool, won't you?

Quick hijack: Anyone know of flea markets or other places around indy that sells the dental implements? I know I can get them at the 1500 (at least you used to be able to 10+ years ago) but I dont feel like paying for the privilege of being surrounded by thousands of folks who dont understand basic hygiene skills just to be able to buy a couple $1 tools.

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    Quick hijack: Anyone know of flea markets or other places around indy that sells the dental implements? I know I can get them at the 1500 (at least you used to be able to 10+ years ago) but I dont feel like paying for the privilege of being surrounded by thousands of folks who dont understand basic hygiene skills just to be able to buy a couple $1 tools.

IIRC I got mine at Hazard freight (Harbor freight)

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana

I bought mine on flea-bay some time between 1997 - 2001. They were inexpensive then - I'm sure they still are.

Call your dentist's office and ask what they do with their worn out stuff - IF they wear things out.

Top Bottom