• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    The question is, how do you capitalize without being assimilated? How do you leverage the power of energized activists without having the party automatically take you for granted next cycle, as they are so anxious to do and have said as much?

Not saying I disagree with you. Just having a hard time seeing a way around the problem.

I am not being flippant when I say this, but that's how the cookie crumbles. Paul supporters seem to want to have all the benefits of major party status in terms of control and influence while simultaneously eschewing the dirty side of politics that are required to acquire and maintain that control and influence. And I don't mean corruptive and deceitful. I just mean positional.

They need to decide which bitter pill they're going to swallow. The one where they actually have to play politics or the one where they remain relegated to side show status and back page filler material.

It's a delusion of ridiculous magnitude to think that elections can be divorced from politics. I would like to see Paul supporters realize that and make their decisions accordingly. Nationally, this means tempering the rhetoric, reframing the arguments, and (for Paul specifically) avoiding sounding like he's a few cards short of a full deck. (Granted, this is likely the last go-round for Paul himself. But anybody who succeeds him as the unofficial spokesperson for libertarianism in American politics would benefit from the same advice.) My list of disagreements with Paul's positions is short enough I can count on one hand. But the number of times I roll my eyes at his responses to questions posed by the media surpasses all of my fingers and toes. Even when I agree with him! I just think he has a horrible delivery if his goal is to have people relate to him and his positions.

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    But the number of times I roll my eyes at his responses to questions posed by the media surpasses all of my fingers and toes. Even when I agree with him! I just think he has a horrible delivery if his goal is to have people relate to him and his positions.

Absolute agreement here... he sounds like Elmer Fudd in front of a microphone. He's definitely never going to out-sexy a Barack Obama or Mitt Romney. Economically, I think Friedman was far more approachable. But that's the reason, generally, why eggheads don't get elected.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Why do you keep asking me these stupid questions? I'm not the one running Paul's campaign.

You made the statement twice so I thought you were going somewhere with it. What are these great opportunities for libertarianism? You don't need to be a campaign manager to answer. Maybe you think libertarianism would gain legitimacy if Paulers endorsed Romney?

Whatevs.

I guess he's not the Great Uniter after all.
    I recognize I'm being strawmanned, but whatevs. I never said that.

The only time he'd be uniting the neocon wing of the GOP is in the GENERAL after winning the nomination. Then the lever-pullers will be there to support the Red Team regardless of its platform. Independents would be in Paul's hand.

The PRIMARY is where the real decision is made and where the fiercest struggle happens.

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 3, 2010
    In a cornfield
    All the bellyaching and whining for months (years?) about how unfair the system is because it's controlled by party players and what do we hear when the control is finally wrested from those players? Some half-assed attempt to insult me because you don't understand the context of the comment.

You caught me. The entire reason why I posted the video was so I could make a half-assed attempt at insulting you.

Sorry for not catching your "joke" as you've more than once posted complaining about paul supporters. It very much appears that your first post in this thread was more of the same.

I can't speak for everyone as I only know what I will do in terms of the liberty movement. I personally see the neocons and the democrats sitting on the same side of the fence. I'd like to see more Goldwater types than George W types in the party. I'm going bang my head on the wall until it happens or I lose interest. Being that more George W types in the party so far means more infringement on my personal liberties, I probably won't be losing interest anytime soon.

As for what the rest of the pro-liberty folks will do with their successes... I don't know.

Nevada proves that the RNC and at least one state are willing to destroy the party at the state level to punish the people who organized enough to get legitimately voted in. Alaska hacks used a similar scorched earth tactic without the assistance of the RNC. Newly elected pro-Paul chairmen in other states have received lawyer letters from the RNC and the Hanging Chad himself has been to visit Maine.

On the bright side though, the Oklahoma republican party got lawyer letters today for violating multiple of their own rules.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    553368_334377556630730_178303555571465_779639_1170067124_n.jpg

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2011
    Uniting independents and non-partisans would be where Ron Paul excels, and therefore the reason that Paul holds the best chance to defeat Obama. Otherwise Republicans have to plead for independents to come hold their noses with them in support of Goldman Sachs (R). How inviting.

You forgot to mention that even republicans typically dont like Mitty .... and the ONLY reason most would vote for Mitt is because he's not Obama (at least not in name).

I will still be voting third party or writing in Ron Paul, and every 4 years from now we can listen to the same people complaining about how crappy their candididate is, but yet they will continue to vote for that R next to their name because hes supposedly "not as bad" as that D

Top Bottom