• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    That's a good suggestion. I qualify for USAA, but I generally like my current agent. However, it might not hurt to check the rates - it seems there might be a significant savings. I recently had an encounter with USAA customer service. My daughter was recently involved in an accident - her car was hit by another driver. The at fault driver had USAA coverage, and they were very helpful, promptly approved the body shop that I had chosen, and I received payment for the repairs to give to the body shop very quickly. That's a sample size of one experience, but I thought they were quite efficient.

USAA has been great for me. I've had them for 17 years, two home owner claims, three auto claims (including a hit and run of my truck in a parking lot) and they've always been great.

dvd1955

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2013
    Howard County
    I've had great response with the rider on my auto and motorcycle insurance from progressive. I think it is $5 per vehicle per term. Even had to use them twice in two days when my stator went out on the bike.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I have AAA. Take a look and compare the plans

https://www.hoosier.aaa.com/membership/compare-membership-levels

I have had them for many years, and used them a few times. Has been great when I have been tied up but my wife needed assistance for example.
    Many years ago, I had my pickup towed on a flatbed in FL, about 75 miles to where I could work on it. Because I had the Plus plan at the time, no charge for that tow. Wife has had a battery or 2 replaced under the plan (just charge for the battery not for the service call), etc.

It is good piece of mind and you can add others in the family and doesn't just cover your car, but any car you are in as long as you are there and have your card. There is a smartphone app as well (which reminds me, I need to make sure both kids have the app downloaded, etc)

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Reminds me that State Farm includes it as an option for like $10/year. (check your policy)
    In my case it only covers you to the nearest repair facility (good luck on what that means) . The other downside is that it is a reimbursement, not a plan per-se. So you call the tow truck, have it towed the 5-10 miles to the nearest shop, pay the truck, then turn in the receipt to your agent and they cut you a check for it. Not the worst option (unless you are short on funds, dont have a credit card, etc) but not the best either.

Yes they do. And I have used it several times. I have had my car towed from Laporte to South bend. No questions asked. I dropped the tow bill off at my agent and they wrote me a check on the spot. I am thinking I might be paying $15 for it? Not really sure.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    You have to go through state farm to request the tow, should be the number on the back of the card. If you call the tow company directly it's a reimbursement.

I have never called them first. I have always just gave them the bill. Probably done it 5-6 times in the last 20 years. Last time was about 2 years ago when I broke a lower control arm bushing.

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I have never called them first. I have always just gave them the bill. Probably done it 5-6 times in the last 20 years. Last time was about 2 years ago when I broke a lower control arm bushing.
    That was in response to reimbursement vs no out of pocket cost.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I have known the Zore family for years. My son has worked for them in many capacity's for a long time as well. I have known them to respond directly to personal tows when they get the calls. they respond as soon as possible. Not the cheapest but they are a full service outfit.
    24/7/365

Thanks, Mouseman... I'll remember that. I didnt get that far down the list. LOL I stopped at 5 companies.

PaulKersey

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Sep 16, 2012
    Evansville
    I have AAA. Take a look and compare the plans

https://www.hoosier.aaa.com/membership/compare-membership-levels

I have had them for many years, and used them a few times. Has been great when I have been tied up but my wife needed assistance for example.
    Many years ago, I had my pickup towed on a flatbed in FL, about 75 miles to where I could work on it. Because I had the Plus plan at the time, no charge for that tow. Wife has had a battery or 2 replaced under the plan (just charge for the battery not for the service call), etc.

It is good piece of mind and you can add others in the family and doesn't just cover your car, but any car you are in as long as you are there and have your card. There is a smartphone app as well (which reminds me, I need to make sure both kids have the app downloaded, etc)

It sounds like the Plus plan would more than pay for itself if one medium or long distance tow was required. The base plan is tempting due to price, but since the objective is good coverage when a breakdown occurs, I think I will opt for the Plus. Thanks for the real-world input. It is quite helpful.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    It sounds like the Plus plan would more than pay for itself if one medium or long distance tow was required. The base plan is tempting due to price, but since the objective is good coverage when a breakdown occurs, I think I will opt for the Plus. Thanks for the real-world input. It is quite helpful.

Thinking outside the box; You can also employ the "Be Your Own Banker." model. (a good book and financial strategy if you can pull it off) Basically start socking away the same cash you would pay AAA for that assistance to finance it yourself. For ease of maths, lets assume $15/mo and you have no interest in the other perks like rental car discounts, etc.

Scenario 1: 5 years goes by. Nothing happened. You now have $900 in the bank. :rockwoot:

Scenario 2, 5 years goes by. You had to call for a tow truck twice and the bills totalled $500. You still have $400 in the bank. :rockwoot:

Scenario 3: you subscribed to the service and had two tows. in 5 years. EACH tow cost you $450 bucks, even if the tows were a simple "up the street" $150-200 tow. :faint:

Scenario 4: You had no issues. in 5 years you paid $900 and have nothing to show for it. :(

Just thinkin outside the box...

daventos

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 23, 2017
    Bedford
    This will sound dumb but if you go with AAA you may want to wait until you actually need to use it. I was stuck in a ditch a few months ago and called my girlfriend to ask her if our AAA was still current. She said it was not but thought we could use it immediately if we renewed. I thought she was crazy. She called AAA and told the rep she wanted to renew coverage. Before getting off the phone the rep asked her if there was anything else she could do for her. My girlfriend asked the lady if she could call a tow truck and gave her my location. The rep said no problem and sent a tow truck to my location and it was covered.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    This will sound dumb but if you go with AAA you may want to wait until you actually need to use it. I was stuck in a ditch a few months ago and called my girlfriend to ask her if our AAA was still current. She said it was not but thought we could use it immediately if we renewed. I thought she was crazy. She called AAA and told the rep she wanted to renew coverage. Before getting off the phone the rep asked her if there was anything else she could do for her. My girlfriend asked the lady if she could call a tow truck and gave her my location. The rep said no problem and sent a tow truck to my location and it was covered.

Interesting, I think there is like a 48 hour or so clause in their membership contract about that type of thing. Could be 24 could be 72, can't remember, but they definitely talk about it.

Also, I seem to remember there being some kind of thing where depending on how "expired" you are, they renew the coverage on the same date it was previously due. That said, I let it lapse one time for like 3 months and then renewed and they wanted to back date me. I said no way in that situation as I had been without coverage for more than 3 months and would not renew if that was the case. They backed down on that one and gave me my new membership date but not sure how much time the contract specifies for the renewal piece. I was not in immediate need of service at the time of that renewal, and would have definitely looked elsewhere had they not backed down.

I have renewed regularly for several years now with no lapses as I have a wife and 2 kids (son is now away at college) who are drivers besides me. I don't need any of them stranded if I am tied up.

Edit: Looks like the time limit (72 hours) is for Plus, Premium, etc services per the handbook:
    https://www.wssfiles.com/023/web/docs/member-handbook-9-2017.pdf

When is Plus, Plus RV and Premier Effective?
    If Plus, Plus RV and Plus Premier service is added to a membership or purchased with a new membership, there will be a 72 hour waiting period before PLUS services are
    provided (Basic service is still available immediately).

Also some info on the lapsing of coverage here:

Membership Lapse: Members who let their membership lapse more than 30 days will be charged a $40 administration fee to reinstate with AAA Hoosier Motor Club if they need immediate Emergency Road Service. Only Basic road service will be provided during the first 72 hours.

Last edited:

Jeepster48439

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Marion County
    Maybe time to shop insurers are well, then. If you are a vet, USAA is generally lower cost than most of the market, has great service, and their road side assist is about $1/mo.

And it is true roadside assistance. I have had to use it twice this year. Once my Jeep was dead in Avon and they towed it to my shop at 96 and Michigan without charge. Their call center follows up every 30 minutes until you tell them that the tow truck has arrived. Had AAA for years. Even had both for a long time. Once I went to a smartphone and no longer needed the travel services, I got rid of AAA.

Top Bottom