• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rob Pincus

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Esrice,

Seriously.... Are you trying to spread good info or sowing seeds of discontent with the traditionalists?? ;-)

How long before someone references my "Bad Habits" article from 2007... It included my disdain for press checks and has proven to have been pretty prescient in regard to the evolution of defensive training.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    No press-check Hondo?

How dare you defame the GREATEST BAD MOVIE OF ALL FRICKIN' TIME!

"No roll, Hondo?" Go tactically write that on the blackboard 100 times.

Are you trying to spread good info or sowing seeds of discontent with the traditionalists??

Hi, mossback traditionalist here, wearing my Orange Gunsite tie.

My position is . . . yeah, whatever, if you don't press check on admin, that's your gear to carry, not mine. I don't care.

The only thing that I was uncomfortable with is that was no mention of sand barrels or taped together phone books.:D

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Just watched this on Facebook while watching Tom Givens Dvd on tv. That sort of multi tasking doesn't work well.:D Anyway, it seems to make sense, not quite ready to jump on board just yet. Do you explain somewhere Rob why you disdain the press check, I mean it is pretty cool and all.:):

Rob Pincus

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Cedar,

It's just wasted movement that is incongruent with the proper operation of the gun. Why bother? Run the gun right and use techniques that are consistent with the things you might need to do when you are using the gun for defense.

-Rob

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Hold on, so a press check is wasted movement but dropping the magazine and doing a round count is efficient?

I'm at a loss as to why you'd need to do either on an administrative load, to be honest, but if you did it seems like the press check is quicker, simpler, and if somehow it were to be hardwired into your brain would be better than dropping a mag under stress.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Hold on, so a press check is wasted movement but dropping the magazine and doing a round count is efficient?

It looks like Rob was saying that it's wasted movement in that it's movement outside of those techniques that are used under stress. Dropping a magazine is something one would do in a fight, press-checking is not.

For me, I'll press-check a pistol any time I'm putting it on and it's been out of my control. Dropping the magazine wouldn't help in this case because the magazine would be full, so I'd still need to verify the condition of the chamber.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    It looks like Rob was saying that it's wasted movement in that it's movement outside of those techniques that are used under stress. Dropping a magazine is something one would do in a fight, press-checking is not.

Understood, but dropping a magazine right after loading and releasing the slide isn't something you'd do in a fight any more than press checking after an empty gun reload is. If you had to have one bad habit (which you don't, of course, but for the sake of argument) I'd say the press check is less dangerous to have onboard than dropping a mag right after you release the slide.

Maybe I'm being dense here, but I still don't see what problem this is supposed to address. To me its like saying "don't shine a flashlight down the barrel to verify you can see a round in the chamber, do this instead." Seems like an invented problem to solve. Who's press checking under stress? Who's confusing admin loads with stress empty gun reloads?

Steve MI

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2008
    Why this is even being discussed in this context is crazy, it is a pre whatever action, its free it takes no time to do.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I'm new to this sort of thing but I don't understand the whole administrative reload. Why would you load one round in a magazine, chamber it and then drop a mag to check?

theblackknight

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    Why this is even being discussed in this context is crazy, it is a pre whatever action, its free it takes no time to do.

From what I've gathered and talking to Rob, his program isnt exactly geared toward someone who would even be posting in the training section of a gun forum. Not a credit to forum jockies, but that prob means one is a "gun guy" and shooting/training is at least moderate hobby for them.

The target audience needs absolutely every little brain cell they can muster to be reflashed in the most unified way, because they admittantly have other things that are more important then to do a little dryfire a couple times a week before they go to the gym. While both could really help, but Rob realizes silly things like that arnt going to happen and he designed a pretty good program for getting these people at least somewhere.

theblackknight

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    How about this police Capt, who broke contact with the suspect to make sure he had one in the chamber before shooting him.

Man Kidnaps Child In Walmart - Shot Dead By Police

Why would there even be question as to the status of his firearm? While he did the deed and saved the day, a press check is something you do right after you put your pants on, in your dam house, not in the middle of a dam hostage shoot situation.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Top Bottom