• ...and so much more!
  • Corbon

Plinker
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 5, 2011
    Columbus
    Hmmmm I wonder if I can swing these as training days with the department.....

This course qualifies for 18 hours of in-service training with ILEA. Just bring your individual ID number and there will be a sign in sheet for both days.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I emailed Bret and would love to take this. Work is being a ***** though & I might be traveling. If I can make it then it would be a last minute sign up. I'm guessing there's still some seats left in this class?

Corbon

Plinker
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 5, 2011
    Columbus
    I emailed Bret and would love to take this. Work is being a ***** though & I might be traveling. If I can make it then it would be a last minute sign up. I'm guessing there's still some seats left in this class?

Hello Hop. This is Brett. We still have five seats available for the course. I sure hope you get the time off at work as I know this is going to some great training. While I have never trained with Vogel we have two Chicago SWAT Operators coming to the class. They have attended three of Bob's course including instruction at Vogel's private range in Ohio and are still wanting more. Also we have a guy coming from Reno Nevada and another from Miami Florida. It's going to be GREAT!

Mog

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Indianapolis
    This class was just flat out awesome! Just watching Bob Vogel shoot the demonstrations is worth the price of admission (even on a chilly holiday weekend!) but he goes way beyond that. He has a lot of insights into "what worked for me" that are actually useful and applicable for those of us down here looking up at Olympus thinking we might just want to scale that imposing height. A lot of good drills and practice. Brett, THANK YOU for making this opportunity available.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    This class was just flat out awesome! Just watching Bob Vogel shoot the demonstrations is worth the price of admission (even on a chilly holiday weekend!) but he goes way beyond that. He has a lot of insights into "what worked for me" that are actually useful and applicable for those of us down here looking up at Olympus thinking we might just want to scale that imposing height. A lot of good drills and practice. Brett, THANK YOU for making this opportunity available.
    I'll agree 100%. His skill set is amazing as is his hand strength. Good Lord he about crushed my hand with the handshake on Sunday! LOL

I learned a lot about my guns (I tried 3 during the class) and my gear. I'll post up more when I get to a real computer.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

[back @ a PC for an edit]

Gear! The right gear will make this class easier. The wrong gear will make it harder. You will never know what works until you push your gear to the limits!
    I wasn't real sure what we were going to do & wore a CC style holster and dual mag carrier on day #1. Tight to the body fitting kydex made Robert's "competition style" drills more difficult. It was well worth trying the CC kit because you'd be trying to draw and fire just as quickly in a defensive situation. Day #2 I switched to my DA velcro competition belt, then after lunch into my HSGI battle belt. Much easier!

Steyr M9-A1 = 1 light strike (Wolf ammo), 1 not fully seated primer (also Wolf ammo) locked the action closed. I unlocked the slide and gave it a real hard & fast rack to clear the malf. This gun shoots as accurate as anything I had until shot speed goes up. You lose precision trying to get the tip of that little triangle perfectly aligned vertically. ~5 lb 10 oz trigger.

H&K VP9 = 1 case half-ejected, easy to clear (Wolf ammo again). I had my support hand on top of the slide during shoot from retention drill causing a FTE. Other than that, this gun ran great and was easier to shoot quickly than the Steyr. ~5 lb trigger.

Canik SFx w/ Trijicon RMR = I accidentally hit the mag release twice. I'll need to swap in the shorter button. I made my best shots all weekend with this gun but it did have a red dot sight. iirc, was the only student gun Robert shot & got a "sweet gun!" comment. ~4 lb 8 oz trigger.

Drills! Very unique. Stuff I've never tried with a pistol before. A few we did:
    Slow fire "A" zone vs timed "A" zone accuracy drills out to 25 yards.
    Body/Head, Head/Body controlled pairs drills.
    The dice drill was great! I'll have to find a video.
    Only "A" zones count swinger drills.
    Only "A" zones count swinger drills WHILE moving drills then hitting 1/3 scale steel @ 40 yards.
    All types of shooting when moving drills.

Technique! This is where it gets hard to explain. You'll need to attend to get a better idea. Unique grip, hand strength, stage analysis, attacking the target strategies, when to grab the gun from the holster, economy of motion type stuff, etc...

This class gave me a great deal of things to try on my own... if I can find a place to get away with it. No range i'm a member of will allow this type of training.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom