• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • showmeapair

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    Noblesville/Brown Co
    I just bought a Roberts .257 rifle from an employee. This gun was built by a local machine shop owner back in the 60's. Gun looks good and is heavy as hell. I am going to take it out and see how it shoots. Because it's "homemade" anybody have an idea of what it's worth?

hammer24

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Action? Stock? Fit and finish? Craftsmanship? Materials? Style? Sights? Condition? All play a large part in what something is worth and you have given none of these, sooooo. Pics would be useful.

You may check into the legality of actually having the gun. I know it is legal to make a firearm,but I believe it is illegal to sell/ transfer said "home manufactured" firearm without a license. Dont know when that law was enacted or if this may be "grandfathered" due to its age, but may be something to look into. The BATF site may have some answers.

hopefully somebody more knowledgable than I will chime in.

Last edited:

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Gotta know who made it, etc... As stated above.

Now, that being said: Me dad and I had two Mausers that were rebarreled in .257 Roberts (awesome cartridge BTW and FTW!!) that were done by a local machinist with too much time (after Toledo, OH's government raised taxes and scared business out of town). Rebarreling milsurps was pretty common back in the 60s-80s.

showmeapair

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    Noblesville/Brown Co
    Sorry buy I don't think posting pictures is an option for me. From what I understand, they bought a barrel, stock etc. and assembled it. The stock looks good, minor blemishes on the metal parts. I think I can take it apart, clean it up and it will look pretty good.
    The scope mount is a Buehler Orinda Cal.
    Scope is a Condor J.Unertl

Took the scope off and found
    Springfield Armory Model 1903
    SN 915058

Last edited:

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Nice sporterized 1903's go for anywhere from from $300 to maybe $600-$800, but usually toward the lower end.

Double heat treatment on 1903 receivers started at serial number 800,000 (approximately), so it looks like you're fine there.

The 1903 action is a very nice one to build on and thousands and thousands of surplus M1903 rifles were sporterized with varying degrees of quality and made into hunting rifles, and the .257 Roberts is a great whitetail cartridge.

M1903 Springfield - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Depending on the condition the scope and mount will run about what the gun does if it is a 1903 sporter. That combo was very popular with the BR crowd in the 1960's

If it is heavy gun and has a hair trigger then I believe it might have been some type of bench rest gun. With that scope mount combo I am sure it was.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    You may check into the legality of actually having the gun. I know it is legal to make a firearm,but I believe it is illegal to sell/ transfer said "home manufactured" firearm without a license.

Perfectly legal.

As long as you are not making and selling multiple firearms, and specifically for the purpose of operating a business (ie making money), there is nothing wrong with it. You do need to mark the weapon with the manufacturers name, city/state, and a serial number.

showmeapair

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    Noblesville/Brown Co
    I found out a little more about it. Supposedly It was built as a varmit gun. I got it cleaned up and everything seems to function properly. Methinks it's time to pop a few caps...see how accurate this thing is.

Top Bottom