Rock Island 1911 45 acp very low price at RK (any owners here ?)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I have an R.I.A. 1911, but mine is in 10mm, not .45acp.
    Haven't had it that long, nor have I put hundreds of rounds through it, yet, but I've also had no issues with it either.
    It shoots to point of aim so I'm not asking for much more.

I do have a 1911 in .45acp, but it is a Taurus.
    That might be an acceptable alternative to the Rock Island.
    I was actually surprised at how nice the Taurus seems to be, and for more or less the same price point of the Rock Island.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    A pistol is a tool.... much like a hammer.

Learn how to use it and make it work..all the bull**** about "which hammer is best" fades pretty quickly...there is an endless supply of folks focused on fit and finish details...most of which wouldn't matter to the nail.

A good friend has a "high end" 1911... he can shoot 2" groups with it at 50 yards if he stands still and takes his sweet time with it. I do twice as bad with an old Plain Jane free handed in less than a quarter of the time... my friend and I have different views of what the purpose of a handgun is...

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    A pistol is a tool.... much like a hammer.

Learn how to use it and make it work..all the bull**** about "which hammer is best" fades pretty quickly...there is an endless supply of folks focused on fit and finish details...most of which wouldn't matter to the nail.

A good friend has a "high end" 1911... he can shoot 2" groups with it at 50 yards if he stands still and takes his sweet time with it. I do twice as bad with an old Plain Jane free handed in less than a quarter of the time... my friend and I have different views of what the purpose of a handgun is...

There is wisdom here "BUT"......Having a hammer that the handle stays firmly attached to the business end is very important. Trust. Do you trust it. And cheap hammers suck.
    You can own a base model Camaro if that is your budget/desire. Or you can (if affordable) step up to any of the available levels above the base model. The enjoyment in using it in increases with each step north. Same with a 1911.

I would trust an as built 1911 on my night stand but it has to meet certain criteria. I would trust the 1942 Colt my uncle carried in the service that was given to me on his passing and it is no hot rod. But it kept him alive through the conflicts he was involved in.
    My desire for excellent fit/finish is just a personal journey for me. I had the same affliction with my cars/race cars/motor cycles and even a few boats. This has bled over into my gun safes.

To all, if the reason you have the gun is multifaceted as in range toy/SD then pick a winner. Please.

In that even a winner can fail.

Old Bear

Greyman Apprentice
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 19, 2016
    Newton County
    There is wisdom here "BUT"......Having a hammer that the handle stays firmly attached to the business end is very important. Trust. Do you trust it. And cheap hammers suck.
    You can own a base model Camaro if that is your budget/desire. Or you can (if affordable) step up to any of the available levels above the base model. The enjoyment in using it in increases with each step north. Same with a 1911.

I would trust an as built 1911 on my night stand but it has to meet certain criteria. I would trust the 1942 Colt my uncle carried in the service that was given to me on his passing and it is no hot rod. But it kept him alive through the conflicts he was involved in.
    My desire for excellent fit/finish is just a personal journey for me. I had the same affliction with my cars/race cars/motor cycles and even a few boats. This has bled over into my gun safes.

To all, if the reason you have the gun is multifaceted as in range toy/SD then pick a winner. Please.

In that even a winner can fail.

THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!

TheDude

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Southeast Kentuckiana.
    32335-DEFAULT-l.jpg

Somebody say .45 ??

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    Springfield's 1911 Milspec defender series was mentioned early in the thread, and mostly ignored as a viable alternative. The MSRP is $549. Gunbroker has several under $500. I was wondering if the 1911 experts have any opinions on this pistol. Also, my wife's step-dad carried a Remington 1911 while in Vietnam in 1967-68. I recently saw the new Remington 1911 advertised for $399. So is it a budget option equal to or maybe better than the RIA's 1911?

[h=1]1911 MIL-SPEC .45ACP – DEFENDERS SERIES[/h]

For a limited time, as part of the Defenders Series, Springfield Armory offers the best deal ever on our legendary 1911 Mil-Spec, with an MSRP of $549.00.
    The Defenders Series Sales Event is designed to encourage new shooters to invest in their first firearm, and introduce value-driven customers to the Springfield Armory brand. Different firearms will be available for limited periods at incredibly low prices.
    Individuals who purchase the Defenders Series Mil-Spec will receive an invitation to join The Defenders, an online community of enthusiasts who will receive exclusive offers, giveaways and discounts from Springfield Armory.
    The Springfield Armory Mil-Spec, like all Springfield 1911s, features a carbon steel frame and slide that is fully forged, rather than cast, for the utmost durability. The 5-inch Match Grade stainless steel barrel is also forged for lifetimes of use. The slide has slanted serrations and the mainspring housing is the original arched style found on GI issue 1911-A1s. The Mil-Spec 1911 also features fixed 3-dot sights, a lowered and flared ejection port, and a single-sided thumb safety. Each Mil-Spec comes with fully-checkered wood grips, unique to this Defenders Series model. This classic 1911 has a Parkerized finish to combat corrosion, and comes with one 7-round magazine.

PBD9108L-WEB.png

[h=2]SPECS[/h]
    CALIBER.45ACP

RECOIL SYSTEMGI Style

SIGHTSCombat, 3 - Dot

WEIGHT39 ozs.

HEIGHT5.5"

SLIDEForged Steel, Parkerized

BARREL5" Stainless Steel Match Grade

LENGTH8.6"

GRIP TYPEFully Checkered Wood Grips

FRAMEForged Steel, Parkerized

MAGAZINES1 - 7 Round, Stainless Steel

MSRP$549.00

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    r44 this one never crossed my mind but I think the Ruger offerings were mentioned.
    I have no direct experience with the Defender model. But it is a Springfield. If someone has/gets one sound off about it.

deerslayer512

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Dec 23, 2014
    Indianapolis
    Its a rock island, you get what you pay for. There are much better 1911s out there for not much more. Look in the pre-owned market as well. With how popular 1911s are, you can almost always find a good deal on one.

tcause17

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2019
    Sellersburg
    I bought one a couple years ago and it's quickly turned into my one of my favorite handguns. It's incredibly consistent and accurate. If you can find a good price you should go for it.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Springfield's 1911 Milspec defender series was mentioned early in the thread, and mostly ignored as a viable alternative. The MSRP is $549. Gunbroker has several under $500. I was wondering if the 1911 experts have any opinions on this pistol. Also, my wife's step-dad carried a Remington 1911 while in Vietnam in 1967-68. I recently saw the new Remington 1911 advertised for $399. So is it a budget option equal to or maybe better than the RIA's 1911?

[h=1]1911 MIL-SPEC .45ACP – DEFENDERS SERIES[/h]

For a limited time, as part of the Defenders Series, Springfield Armory offers the best deal ever on our legendary 1911 Mil-Spec, with an MSRP of $549.00.
    The Defenders Series Sales Event is designed to encourage new shooters to invest in their first firearm, and introduce value-driven customers to the Springfield Armory brand. Different firearms will be available for limited periods at incredibly low prices.
    Individuals who purchase the Defenders Series Mil-Spec will receive an invitation to join The Defenders, an online community of enthusiasts who will receive exclusive offers, giveaways and discounts from Springfield Armory.
    The Springfield Armory Mil-Spec, like all Springfield 1911s, features a carbon steel frame and slide that is fully forged, rather than cast, for the utmost durability. The 5-inch Match Grade stainless steel barrel is also forged for lifetimes of use. The slide has slanted serrations and the mainspring housing is the original arched style found on GI issue 1911-A1s. The Mil-Spec 1911 also features fixed 3-dot sights, a lowered and flared ejection port, and a single-sided thumb safety. Each Mil-Spec comes with fully-checkered wood grips, unique to this Defenders Series model. This classic 1911 has a Parkerized finish to combat corrosion, and comes with one 7-round magazine.

PBD9108L-WEB.png

[h=2]SPECS[/h]
    CALIBER.45ACP

RECOIL SYSTEMGI Style

SIGHTSCombat, 3 - Dot

WEIGHT39 ozs.

HEIGHT5.5"

SLIDEForged Steel, Parkerized

BARREL5" Stainless Steel Match Grade

LENGTH8.6"

GRIP TYPEFully Checkered Wood Grips

FRAMEForged Steel, Parkerized

MAGAZINES1 - 7 Round, Stainless Steel

MSRP$549.00

A friend just stopped by for me to look at his new 1911. It is one of these^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I like it. For the price point it is very well fit up. Trigger was what I expected and came in just north of 5lbs with the usual MIM grit. This usually smooths out with round count. But for the money I would go this route. He will be upgrading it soon.....:):

Tapout4892

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 21, 2016
    New Albany
    I have a rock island. Have had it for over seven years and have more than 1,000 rounds through it. It takes anything I can throw at it. Very reliable very accurate. Can’t go wrong for the money.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I am seriously considering this Rock Island GI model 1911

My last 1911 was a very well worn in Springfield armory and that was in the 1980's so...

Call it nostalgia or the need for a 45 acp in the nightstand LOL

I made the mistake of buying two. the 1st was a 3.5" 1911 45acp. Total junk sent it in to them three times they could not get it to fire without failures to feed or eject. Sold it to a guy that wan ted it for $200 knowing it was garbage.
    The 2nd one was a standard GI 45acp, same problem as the compact. Traded it for a Ruger LCRx 38 special.
    I'm done with RIA.

Top Bottom