• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • VulpesForge

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 14, 2020
    Nowhere
    I want something that can handle 10mm nuclear powered loads in a single stack.
    You're probably looking at a dan wesson if you want a 1911 that will handle it. They just aren't meant to handle that sort of thing all the time. Heavier recoil springs will definitely take your further. Iver Johnson is another one I would heavily consider. I found them after searching for ages for my hunting gun and landed on a Tanfo witness hunter. They were a very close second and almost made me rethink the double stack requirement I placed on the gun I was after. They can be had for roughly $725 for the "all the bells and whistles" model provided you don't want gold plating :D. Link here https://iverjohnsonarms.com/store/p20/Eagle_XL-10_Ported.html if you're interested. Supposedly extremely feature loaded for the price point and durable. Ymmv.

VulpesForge

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 14, 2020
    Nowhere
    I don't mean to jack the thread, but I just picked up a later model Colt DE and havn't had a chance to shoot it. The first thing I did was buy a bunch of different rounds to try. Should I work up slowly to the stouter rounds, checking brass along the way? Or is it not a concern. The pistol is like new, and the springs are way tight, stiffer than any pistol I've ever cycled. thanks in advance.

I had one of the newer DE no rail (2015ish?) and I never had any real issues with it. It wasn't the typical tight colt 1911 style you'd expect though. After a stronger recoil spring and some accuracy issues (from a 1911 with an otherwise pretty great trigger) I took it to the local 1911 expert who recommended new barrel and a lapped bushing. (also the rear sight had come loose after about 100 rounds so check that after a box and if it's starting to back out grab the loc-tite) After shelling out a little over 1k for the thing I wasn't super happy about $500 or so more so I sold it. It just didn't preform the way a 1k gun should out of the box and especially not one with "Colt" on the side. Also, these are 80's series and I find those less desirable overall than the 70's series so take my opinion with a grain of salt. All that said, the new DE are supposed to be able to handle full house loads all day. I'd recommend heavy recoil springs. Checking factory ammunition isn't really a concern, but if you're worried about it check the brass and make yourself confident. There's absolutely nothing wrong with knowing and I probably would too. If it's throwing your bass into the next county get a heavier recoil spring and consider a full length guide rod.

Tl;Dr: Mine ate a few full power loads and choked. Then I had accuracy problems. They should be able to handle full house loads all day. Sold it.

DNS

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2013
    Northern IN
    Anyone know what lb. recoil spring the ria gi 10mm comes with? What lb. spring should it be replaced with if using full power loads?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Anyone know what lb. recoil spring the ria gi 10mm comes with? What lb. spring should it be replaced with if using full power loads?

Don't run full power in that gun. At least on a regular basis. It is yours and you can do as you will of course.
    I run 22# springs in my full house 10mm.

2in1evtime

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.4%
    63   1   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    retired-midwest
    I had been looking for a 1911 in 10mm for a while, looked at reviews on rock islands and rugers. then ran across a Les Baer long slide premier hunter, yep i purchased it and couldn't be happier, it was new and the deal was great. Also i did get to try out a ruger and rock island another reason i decided not to go that direction. Was concerned about the frame on the ruger and after shooting the rock island that had at least a thousand rounds thru, we broke it down and found a lot of abnormal wear all i needed to see. The les has about 400 rounds thru it now nothing hi pressure like underwood as i wanted to run about 500 rounds for a break in, i have had no issues, no wear issues all and it shoots like a dream, i consider it a lifetime pistol and yes they are pretty expensive but you pay for what you get. also 9 rond mags run about 60 bucks from Les Baer

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I had been looking for a 1911 in 10mm for a while, looked at reviews on rock islands and rugers. then ran across a Les Baer long slide premier hunter, yep i purchased it and couldn't be happier, it was new and the deal was great. Also i did get to try out a ruger and rock island another reason i decided not to go that direction. Was concerned about the frame on the ruger and after shooting the rock island that had at least a thousand rounds thru, we broke it down and found a lot of abnormal wear all i needed to see. The les has about 400 rounds thru it now nothing hi pressure like underwood as i wanted to run about 500 rounds for a break in, i have had no issues, no wear issues all and it shoots like a dream, i consider it a lifetime pistol and yes they are pretty expensive but you pay for what you get. also 9 rond mags run about 60 bucks from Les Baer

Wilson 9 rd mags are as good or better for less money.

Your doubts about the Ruger and RIA mirror mine.
    All to often folks treat a 1911 like it is an M&P or a G**** which both need little maint. as compared to the 1911.
    The newer offerings (1911's) are built to much tighter tolerances your new L Baer as an example. So yes they will require a bit of clean/lube over the Tupper ware offerings. That is just part of owning one.

Keep them clean and use the proper lubricant's in the right areas. Especially Stainless and the 10mm's.

2in1evtime

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.4%
    63   1   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    retired-midwest
    Yes sir maintenance is very important, I have springfield ro 9mm that will give me fits when getting dirty, not counting the titanium firing pin issue i was also having, after 2 replacements went with a ed brown small diameter and fixed those issues. But yes i maintain all my forearms very good i think!

busted1200

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 24, 2009
    Evansville
    Have put little over 150 rounds thru my RIA 10mm that I got from rual king when they were on sale for $379. No malfunctions and pleasure to shoot. First magazine at around 20-21 feet I could have covered with a quarter. My wife also shot it and like it very much. Was using Rock Islands 10mm ammo. I wanted a plain Jane 1911 GI style 10mm. No upgrades necessary in my opinion. Trigger was very smooth and light. Couldn’t be more happier.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Got this back from Rock Island Armory asking if this pistol can handle Underwood ammunition and full power 10mm rounds.

Good day!

Yes, all our 10mm can handle full power load. Let me know if you need anything else.

Thank you,
    Jennie w/ Armscor
    Armscor Support Team
    m: (775) 537-1444
    w: www.armscor.com e: support@armscor.com

HKUSP

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Danville, IN
    If anyone wants to buy me one of those ans 1000 rounds of Buffalo Bore I would be happy to run the test and hand it over to Churchmouse for a complete dissection.

Top Bottom