• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Wdr45

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    How does the Rock River arms rifles compare to the quality and reliabilty of others( ie colt,armelite,bushmaster,etc)?

GARANDGUY

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2010
    SOUTHERN INDIANA
    Theyre great rifles! I had a small problem with a FSP and called BJ there at RRA and the next day UPS was here to pick it up and fix it! I had it back within a week and they even touched up the scratches on it! Came back looking like a new rifle! You could do ALOT worse than RRA!

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    The rock river two stage match triggers in a way are the standard all other aftermarket triggers are judged by when comparing cost to value. RRA makes a fine rifle, so does colt, so does bushmaster, so does stag, double star, dpms,and so do many others. Just know what you want the gun to have on it and then start looking at whoever is making it. You'll find fanboys, elitists and haters for every brand, so make sure you're happy with what you buy before you get it in your hands.

sporter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southern, Indiana
    Quality is ok. However this past weekend at the range a guy had a new RRA carbine and it took almost an act of god to get the front pivot pin back in.

It ran and worked fine though.

I'll stick with Colt.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    One big peeve of mine about RRA is they don't parkerize the barrel under the front sight. ARs are such tinker toys that if you plan on changing from say a regular A2 to a low profile railed gas block you might end up with exposed metal on the barrel. (edit - Oh, they use straight pins on the front sights too and not the better fitting taper pins like Colt.)

I don't think they proof test / MPI their bolts either. Colt does. Non of the others you mentioned do more than batch testing on critical parts. But hey, it really comes down to what are you going to do with the gun. Stuff like check the gas key stakes, latch plate stakes, etc. are all things that you can easily correct yourself.

mikeplan14

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I love my Rock River. I've also had a Colt in the past, and its fit and finish didn't come close to my Rock River.... And Rock Rivers do have really nice triggers! When I buy another AR, it will likely be a second Rock River.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I don't think they proof test / MPI their bolts either. Colt does. Non of the others you mentioned do more than batch testing on critical parts. But hey, it really comes down to what are you going to do with the gun. Stuff like check the gas key stakes, latch plate stakes, etc. are all things that you can easily correct yourself.

It's easy to get caught up in all the specs, and there is merit to it. The whole point of all that testing is so if you're out crawling in the mud you'll have more confidence that the gun won't break on you.

My arguement to that way of thinking is to take the gun out and do a session with about 500rds just dumping mags as fast as you can. That'll heat the gun up and beat on the parts enough to know if something was going to break it likely would have. If not, it just got broken in and could use a good cleaning as a treat for being such a good gun.

Don't get me wrong on this. My go to gun is a Colt, but I've also owned bushmasters and DPMS rifles that could shoot with my colt any day of the week. If you're think as a SHTF gun, at least spend another $30 and buy a parts kit just in case.

Destro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 10, 2011
    The Khyber Pass
    One big peeve of mine about RRA is they don't parkerize the barrel under the front sight. ARs are such tinker toys that if you plan on changing from say a regular A2 to a low profile railed gas block you might end up with exposed metal on the barrel. (edit - Oh, they use straight pins on the front sights too and not the better fitting taper pins like Colt.)

They also use 1/9 twist barrels on almost all of their rifles which I have never understood

GARANDGUY

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2010
    SOUTHERN INDIANA
    They also use 1/9 twist barrels on almost all of their rifles which I have never understood
    Both of mine are 1:7 chrome lined. It was extra but they do offer it. My older one was a 1:9.

To the posted who said they didnt MPI test their bolts ,yes they do and mine are finished under the FSB also and properly staked w/grade 8 hardwear too.

Cozy439

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    Milan Center
    As stated above, there are fans for EVERY brand - BUT I love every one of mine. Reasonable price, great support, and the wait time is back to reasonable

koenig clone

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    fairmount
    my midlength has ran flawless through 2500 rounds so far. my 11 year old son was hitting a 12 inch target more times than not at nearly 300 yards with it.

Top Bottom