• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LegatoRedrivers

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2011
    I was cutting some firewood out back today, when I suddenly heard a high-pitched screech. I look over and see my dog nosing at something on the ground. I walked over, and she'd caught herself some kind of rodent. I thought it was a little field mouse. The little bugger was screeching it's lungs out, but not moving.

I decided to put the little thing out of it's misery, so I grabbed the BB gun I keep nearby for when the pup bags a bunny or squirrel. Once I was sure it was dead, I took a closer look (if there are field mice getting to close to the house, I might think about looking for preventative measures to make sure they stay out.)

It looked like a little house mouse, the color was right anyway, but the nose and mouth didn't look like they were shaped quite right. The tail is short and stubby. The eyes also made me thing twice, because most mice I've seen have huge black eyes - the eyes on this little guy were tiny white dots. Am I over thinking this?

I took some pics. I'll link them instead of putting the pictures in the thread in case anyone doesn't want to see tiny rodent snuff pics.

http://oi46.tinypic.com/2na2zco.jpg

http://oi45.tinypic.com/22ffjr.jpg

http://oi46.tinypic.com/2n82yx5.jpg

Sorry the second image is fuzzy, not sure why that happened.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    The problem with keeping them around is that mice like to utilize their burrows / nests / holes / etc after they're chased off.

Get rid of the grubs means you won't have moles, shrews, and/or mice (or at least not nearly as many if more plentiful food was available)

-J-

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    The problem with keeping them around is that mice like to utilize their burrows / nests / holes / etc after they're chased off.

Get rid of the grubs means you won't have moles, shrews, and/or mice (or at least not nearly as many if more plentiful food was available)

-J-

mice don't move in until the shrew is gone, they will eat mice also..

canamscott

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2011
    LaGrange County
    This is some interesting shrew talk, but it is not a shrew. It is a vole which is closely related moles. They occupy roughly the same niche as mice and are fodder for coyotes, foxes and owls.

Top Bottom