• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cosmos556

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 17, 2017
    Greenwood
    Seems like a good deal, but my past experience is there is a reason that a Pelican costs what it does. Having handled both in the Army (pelican and pelican spec) the pelican spec cases “looked” very similar but had MUCH thinner plastic and less sturdy hinges.

Hopefully these cases are better made. Seems the Chinese knockoffs of the last year or so are getting better.

cosmos556

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 17, 2017
    Greenwood
    Oh, to clarify, by Pelican spec I mean used under the same NSN to backfill damaged Pelican cases. They did something right to get the same NSN, but it was not the same quality product.

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Aug 4, 2017
    Fishers
    Seems like a good deal, but my past experience is there is a reason that a Pelican costs what it does. Having handled both in the Army (pelican and pelican spec) the pelican spec cases “looked” very similar but had MUCH thinner plastic and less sturdy hinges.

Hopefully these cases are better made. Seems the Chinese knockoffs of the last year or so are getting better.

I actually think the plastic is thicker and I've got my two top men on the hinge and latch durability testing. If teenagers can't break it, it's pretty much unbreakable right? My wife is a Pelican snob because that's all they use for her work and she even commented on the quality of these. If nothing else, they'll be good range totes.

cosmos556

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 17, 2017
    Greenwood
    I actually think the plastic is thicker and I've got my two top men on the hinge and latch durability testing. If teenagers can't break it, it's pretty much unbreakable right? My wife is a Pelican snob because that's all they use for her work and she even commented on the quality of these. If nothing else, they'll be good range totes.

Thumbs up for putting them through the paces. Offhand I remember failures with breaks on the thin parts of latches, pins walking out, and the plastic twisting of pressure was accidentally applied while open or loading.

Slightly related, but IIRC, Pelican used to highlight their warranty stood against everything except shark bites, bear attacks, and children under 5. I could see how the latter would really put them through the paces- probably more so than the animals, so I bet teenagers are just a step behind!

Top Bottom