• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    What relevance does your analogy have in regards to my post stating Obama never had a chance to sign gun control legislation?

I was answering a question, what's your motive behind your post?

Do you support Obama?

Some of us don't see Romney or any other "mainstream" Republican as any improvement over Obama. We're weighing the devil we know against the devil we don't.

SemperFiUSMC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    How does Obama shut down access to Title II weapons? Implement a hiring freeze at the ATF and let attrition take you from 12 authorized document examiners to only 7 filled positions to process all NFA transfers. This is today's reality.

How does Obama shut down sales of foreign firearms? Have the State Department deny importation. This is today's reality.

How does Obama shut down sales of all firearms? Let attrition decimate the NICS group. Start delaying 4473s.

I'll take Romney over Obama on this issue. At least Romney understands the commercial part of the firearms industry.

sonny27

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Carmel
    Some of us don't see Romney or any other "mainstream" Republican as any improvement over Obama. We're weighing the devil we know against the devil we don't.

Romney isn't perfect, comparing him to Obama on gun control is a bit of a stretch in my opinion...

Do you consider these presidents "mainstream" Republicans?

Reagan: Banned full auto weapons. He also supported and influenced two reps to vote for the 1994 AWB, it passed 216-214.

Bush 41: Importation ban of assault weapons.

Bush 43: He stated, he would sign the AWB if it reached his desk.

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Romney isn't perfect, comparing him to Obama on gun control is a bit of a stretch in my opinion...

Reagan: Banned full auto weapons. He also supported and influenced two reps to vote for the 1994 AWB, it passed 216-214.

Thus, one could easily conclude that Republican presidents are not friends of gun owners any more than Democrat presidents are. And when the current presumptive nominee is a RINO from one of the most anti-gun states in the nation...

Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012
    FIFY

Reagan: [STRIKE]Banned full auto weapons.[/STRIKE]

Incorrect statement. Signed a moratorium of civilian owned fully automatic weapon, not registered by May 19, 1986. Full auto weapons have not been banned.
    He also supported and influenced two reps to vote for the 1994 AWB, it passed 216-214.

Misleading statement. GHW Bush used executive authority to ban the importation of a number of semi automatic firearms, but not all. Additionally, assault weapons are not what you describe them to be.

Misleading statement. Publicly supported the measure for political appearances. There was some, but not enough support in the Congress to pass another [STRIKE]AWB[/STRIKE] CFPB (Cosmetic Firearm Parts Ban).

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem
    This is not hard - Romney will move with the polls.... GIVEN. I'm not a fan.

Obama will not. While he hasn't signed anti-gun legislation, he HAS gien us Holder, Fast and Furious and Supremes that are a LOT more likely to wipe their arse with the Constitution.

Given these two on gun issues, this should be a no-brainer.
    The devil you know versus the one you don't know???

Fletch - you and I agree on lots of stuff. But this isn't one of them. Gridlock is a good thing, but Obama can damage things FAR too badly - and he doesn't need the help of Congress to do it. Past Executive branch overreaches have seen to that.

CountryBoy1981

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    This is not hard - Romney will move with the polls.... GIVEN. I'm not a fan.

Obama will not. While he hasn't signed anti-gun legislation, he HAS gien us Holder, Fast and Furious and Supremes that are a LOT more likely to wipe their arse with the Constitution.

Given these two on gun issues, this should be a no-brainer.
    The devil you know versus the one you don't know???

Fletch - you and I agree on lots of stuff. But this isn't one of them. Gridlock is a good thing, but Obama can damage things FAR too badly - and he doesn't need the help of Congress to do it. Past Executive branch overreaches have seen to that.

Although I do not believe that Romney is a 2nd Amendment supporter, he is the lesser of the two evils. Plus, Romney will cave to pressure from the NRA whereas Obama will not. At this point in time I will have to vote for the person who will destroy less freedoms and ruin the country the least. Romney was probably my second to last choice out of the GOP candidates, but he is clearly the better choice than Obama.

jgarst

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 10, 2012
    Tipton
    Although I do not believe that Romney is a 2nd Amendment supporter, he is the lesser of the two evils. Plus, Romney will cave to pressure from the NRA whereas Obama will not. At this point in time I will have to vote for the person who will destroy less freedoms and ruin the country the least. Romney was probably my second to last choice out of the GOP candidates, but he is clearly the better choice than Obama.

I agree 100%. The gridlock only works so much, obama can still do too much. He needs to go.

bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    It's going to be a tough sell. His record tells a different story. He's still better than Barack Hussein on the topic but gun owners won't trip over themselves getting to the polls to vote for Romney.....

Take a look at this:

The NRA leadership is throwing its wholehearted support behind Republican Mitt Romney, who once incurred its ire by supporting stiff gun restrictions as governor of Massachusetts. Despite that history, it sees Romney as a vastly better gamble than President Obama, although Obama has done almost nothing to restrict gun use.
    In part, Romney will be under pressure to calm uneasiness in the gun community dating to his governorship and before, when he supported an assault weapons ban and the federal Brady gun control law.
    Saying he has been disappointed in Obama's inaction on gun control, Gross said, "I would be very hopeful that in a second term, President Obama would be more out front on the gun issue than he's been in his first term, and it's quite clear that Mitt Romney would not be."

Not likely, said Adam Winkler, a UCLA law professor who wrote "Gunfight: The Battle Over the Right to Bear Arms in America."

"Few presidents have shown as little interest in gun control as Barack Obama," he said. "It's as if 'avoid gun control at all costs' has become a plank in the Democratic Party platform." In part because of the NRA's success in targeting politicians who support gun control, Democrats have learned that "there are very limited gains to be had" and "high costs to be paid" by supporting it, he said.

From NRA is restless despite its political clout - latimes.com

I don't see that big of a difference between the two presidential candidates or between the two political parties, but that's for another conversation.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN

That isn't really fair to Reagan. Sure, he signed the FOPA with the Hughes Amendment, but that amendment was added in order to sink the FOPA, by the Democrats and Charlie Rangel in particular. If he didn't sign the FOPA, most gun owners would be screaming about how he didn't sign it and how we don't have safe passage through the various states, and it would all be Reagan's fault for not signing it. He was put between a rock and a hard place - damned if he does, damned if he doesn't. So he signed it to get us the rest of the FOPA.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    so all you guys who are *****ing about Romney are going to vote for Obama?

Im smart enough to realize that neither choice is ideal. Im also smart enough to realize that either (a) not voting, or (b) voting for anyone outside of the 2 main parties is a vote for Obama. Regardless of the fact that you won't compromise on your ideals, your going to screw the country and give Obama the election. Which is more important, your ideals, which I respect, or the direction your country is headed?

I realize that romney comes from an anti-gun state office, but I also realize our chances are way better with him for 4 years than they ever will be with obama for 4 more years.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN

Im smart enough to realize that neither choice is ideal. Im also smart enough to realize that either (a) not voting, or (b) voting for anyone outside of the 2 main parties is a vote for Obama.

I realize that romney comes from an anti-gun state office, but I also realize our chances are way better with him for 4 years than they ever will be with obama for 4 more years.

Have you ever noticed that the fate of the entire free world ALWAYS depends on the outcome of the very next election? It's how they keep you voting for the same two parties. Wake up and recognize how they've brainwashed most of the American public into supporting them. They ALWAYS say a third party vote is a de facto vote for the other guy, thereby scaring you into voting for a POS like Romney.

Do you want to see the Republican Party eventually fielding more conservative candidates? They never will as long as you keep holding your nose and voting for the garbage they put in front of you. They don't need to. The only way, in the long run, that we can get them to field better candidates is by costing them elections, and showing them all the votes they're losing to more conservative candidates via write-in. That's it. That's the only thing that will ever improve this situation legally. If they lose enough elections because they've lost the conservative vote, then eventually they'll start fielding better candidates in an effort to get those votes back and start winning again.

I've been holding my nose and voting for people I don't like for nearly 30 years, and look where it's gotten us. Look where this country is today as a result of those votes. I can't and won't do it anymore. If that means Obama beats Romney, then I guess that's the way it goes. I can no longer vote against my conscience for some scumbag I can't stand just to try to beat some other scumbag I can't stand. I'm going to write in the candidate I believe in.

Last edited:

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008

Im smart enough to realize that neither choice is ideal. Im also smart enough to realize that either (a) not voting, or (b) voting for anyone outside of the 2 main parties is a vote for Obama. Regardless of the fact that you won't compromise on your ideals, your going to screw the country and give Obama the election. Which is more important, your ideals, which I respect, or the direction your country is headed?

Some of us don't see the point in playing a game that cannot be won.

CountryBoy1981

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011

Do you stay silent and lose your head or do you speak up and lose an arm?

Top Bottom