• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Do you agree with Ron Paul's policies?

• Total voters

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    My disagreement with him on foreign policy is somewhat nuanced, UNLESS he plans on becoming more nuanced if he's elected (which often happens).

The US should be in the business of spreading democracy. If that means covert help to democratic groups in countries that are nominal allies, then so be it. It gets real complicated real quick, but there you go.

He is too isolationist for my tastes. Even though I'm super-interested in foreign policy, that isn't necessarily a deal stopper for me, though, when it comes to voting for him.

Paco Bedejo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    The US should be in the business of spreading democracy. If that means covert help to democratic groups in countries that are nominal allies, then so be it. It gets real complicated real quick, but there you go.

That appears to have panned out splendidly in Iran... :n00b:

Can I ask which parts of our constitution permit using force to change the leadership of other nations?

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008

Do you think think we should spread democracy through our troops at gun point, or do you think we should spread demacracy by being a beacon of prosperty through peacful business relationships. Nevermind, you already answered that.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011

heh heh

I know that's purply, but if you recall, we originally supported a despot who refused to allow democracy to take hold. ;) We got bit by the dog we trained.

Can I ask which parts of our constitution permit using force to change the leadership of other nations?
    Here's where Ron Paul and I come together, mostly. For non-covert stuff, which would include the stuff like Iraq and Afghanistan IMHO, you need congressional approval.

For the covert stuff, well... that's where it gets complicated. ;) But, ultimately, it is a matter of foreign policy, which is almost purely an executive branch task. (Ratification of treaties, and funding of the State Department/DOD notwithstanding.)

SemperFiUSMC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009

The part that says Congress may declare war and that the President is the Commander in Chief authorized to direct the Army and Navy.

Do you think think we should spread democracy through our troops at gun point, or do you think we should spread demacracy by being a beacon of prosperty through peacful business relationships. Nevermind, you already answered that.

The military is a tool of diplomacy. While being a shining beacon is preferable, we need to stand ready to protect American interests with force if necessary.

Paco Bedejo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I know that's purply, but if you recall, we originally supported a despot who refused to allow democracy to take hold. ;) We got bit by the dog we trained

D'oh! Thanks for the correction...I got that all backwards & twisted upside down in my work-addled brain. C'mon weekend... :):

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    The military is a tool of diplomacy. While being a shining beacon is preferable, we need to stand ready to protect American interests with force if necessary.

The military is the only tool left over when diplomacy has failed. I know you're a vet and I so I am. How many guys do you know who should have lived to be old men with grandchildren and instead they died in wars that did nothing for our country other than run up debt. I know a few, and I'd guess you do to. I took the presidents word in good faith that we were doing the right thing for the security of our country in Iraq. We were not, and some of the best men I've ever had the privlidge to have known and served with were later deployed to A-Stan and didn't make it home from a war that lasted longer than WWII. The simple fact is that our military men and women deserve to be treated better and not used up like pawns in the game of international chess. I think you'd agree wtih me that it's a dispicable sight to see our nations finest being depleted by these wars while the leftovers and benchwarmers who stayed home get to live and prosper. When we deplete our own country of our best men in wars we end up as a country when the only men left over are like the french. I want better for the country that I leave to my kids than that.

chizzle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Indianapolis
    The military is the only tool left over when diplomacy has failed. I know you're a vet and I so I am. How many guys do you know who should have lived to be old men with grandchildren and instead they died in wars that did nothing for our country other than run up debt. I know a few, and I'd guess you do to. I took the presidents word in good faith that we were doing the right thing for the security of our country in Iraq. We were not, and some of the best men I've ever had the privlidge to have known and served with were later deployed to A-Stan and didn't make it home from a war that lasted longer than WWII. The simple fact is that our military men and women deserve to be treated better and not used up like pawns in the game of international chess. I think you'd agree wtih me that it's a dispicable sight to see our nations finest being depleted by these wars while the leftovers and benchwarmers who stayed home get to live and prosper. When we deplete our own country of our best men in wars we end up as a country when the only men left over are like the french. I want better for the country that I leave to my kids than that.

I appreciate your insight, and that you took the time to post your thoughts. That was said in the way only a veteran could say it.

bigg cheese

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Crawfordsville
    he US should be in the business of spreading democracy.

Why spread what we ourselves don't have?

He is too isolationist for my tastes. Even though I'm super-interested in foreign policy, that isn't necessarily a deal stopper for me, though, when it comes to voting for him.

I'm all for the Glenn Beck method. Bring our troops home from everywhere and establish a real border with people guarding it. Finally, issue an ultimatum. "**** us off -- we kill you."

Perhaps too simplistic, but I like simple :)

SemperFiUSMC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009

We will have to disagree about the military's use within the diplomacy domain. I don't think it's the last tool - just a necessary one. While I don't think we lead with military options, sometimes we must. Afganistan was one of those times. There could be nothing but retribution and punishment.

It's easy to sit back now and second guess the value of going into Iraq. It's unfair to suggest that we went there in 1991 to steal oil (still waiting to see what the government collected in royalty fees) - there is simply no evidence other than the chants of barking moon bats that this was ever a consideration. Was oil a primary driver? Hell yes. Allowing the destabilization of the world's oil supply would have been contrary to America's national security interests. 2003 was a continuation of the original policy. Again, in hindsight the justification was not exactly correct. I attribute it to more to Saddam's hiding (shipping off to Syria) of WMDs than to W lying about WMDs as a predicate to war.

I too have friends who didn't come home. It saddens me at many levels. What saddens me most is, as you said, good men leave the better part of themselves on the field while the leftovers and the benchwarmers not only never suit up for the game, but they cheer for the other team to win.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville

Use of the military IS diplomacy. And if you doubt that, just try and see how successful you'll be negotiating anything without one.

chizzle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I found this quote and thought it was appropriate:

"It is well that war is so terrible, or we should grow too fond of it." Robert E. Lee

While I understand the need for a strong military (read: not on the offense), what prevents us from having the same non-interventionist military policy that has served Switzerland for years, even through WWII with Germany next door.

SemperFiUSMC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    I found this quote and thought it was appropriate:

"It is well that war is so terrible, or we should grow too fond of it." Robert E. Lee

While I understand the need for a strong military (read: not on the offense), what prevents us from having the same non-interventionist military policy that has served Switzerland for years, even through WWII with Germany next door.

We are not Switzerland. Switzerland is in the middle of the Alps. Easier to bypass than invade. Defensable from all approaches. National sport is shooting stuff. No natural resources to speak of. Strategic value - little to none. Tactical value - none.

US is 1/3 of a continent. World leader. Finance capital. Innovation capital. Lots of natural resources, including rare earths, oil, precious metals, radioactive material. Vulnerable from all approaches. Melting pot, so foreign fighters can infiltrate and blend in.

chizzle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Indianapolis
    We are not Switzerland. Switzerland is in the middle of the Alps. Easier to bypass than invade. Defensable from all approaches. National sport is shooting stuff. No natural resources to speak of. Strategic value - little to none. Tactical value - none.

US is 1/3 of a continent. World leader. Finance capital. Innovation capital. Lots of natural resources, including rare earths, oil, precious metals, radioactive material. Vulnerable from all approaches. Melting pot, so foreign fighters can infiltrate and blend in.

Wouldn't the US' wealth of innovation and raw materials also give us a disproportionate advantage in defending ourselves?

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    scottrodgers87
    Top Bottom