• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Peter McM

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2012
    Went to Bible study the other night. Came home with a gun.

My group leader, like myself a gun owner, bought this Rossi .357 Mag snubbie at a gun show some time back and is looking to sell it. He let me borrow it to run some rounds through, which I have not had a chance to do yet.

The stainless steel surface is understandably tarnished from years of just sitting in a closet (in its original box). The revolver also exhibits spotty surface corrosion, particularly around the front and rear sights, as well as other brushed surfaces like the back of the cylindar. The inside of the barrel is dirty, but I see no actual degredation.

The single-action--hammer cock, trigger pull--seems nice and smooth, while the double-action pull is kinda stiff--but that may just be the nature of the thing.

I have a Hoppe's No. 9 kit that I use on my Sig, with bore cleaner and oil. Will that help at all with the Rossi rust? Is there something else I should use on that still pretty shiny stainless steel surface?

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    Break Free, CLP... Cleaner Lube Protectant .... I used it in the Military, when they changed from Mil spec lube, in the green bottle ..... and continue to use it today .....

Peter McM

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2012
    So that will remove the rust, and guard against future recurrence?

I assume my LGS supplies it?

EDIT: I Googled and see even WallyWorld has it. Thanks, Grandmaster!

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    Kroil exrust works great but you have to be careful with it follow the directions.

Peter McM

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2012
    Found the Never-Dull at WalMart--surprisingly cheap, less than $5 for the tin. Will work on the Rossi later in the week; should post before/after pics.

Top Bottom