• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JB75

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2011
    fort wayne
    I seen a rossi ranch hand the other day in 357 mag and can't stop thinking that I need it for my bug out bag. $499.00 is a little steep for my buget, but Its the size of a good camping axe and the more I think about it the more it sounds like a good investment. Any thoughts out there.

drgnrobo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    ft. wayne
    Why not ,doesnt require "extra" mags,small & easy to carry .believe that there is a carry holster for it as well. Had a Rossi .357 lever action years ago & was quite reliable & accurate.Havent read any reviews on the Ranch Hand yet so do a little research & see what the critics are saying

nailknocker

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2011
    I guess it all depends on your survuval attitude, do you want to be a cool survivor, or a practical one.

The cool factor on the ranch hand is way high, I have also fondled them, but the reality is that they are a six shot gun that requires two hands to fire with any degree of reliabilty. I also don't think that their length is an advantage.

For pretty much the same money you can have a four inch barrel Taurus model 608, eight rounds of 357 in a revolver. Just my :twocents:

gunbunnies

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    NWI
    I would say in the concept of survival this firearm may actually have a pratical use. It's not my first pick for a survival situation but if you look at the design it does have 6 rounds, no external magazines to loose, and 12 inch's of barrel. Taking the 357 magnum and adding 6 to 8 inch's to the barrel length depending on the powder being used can add up to 50 fps to your velocity per inch added. Couple this with the closed chamber of the lever design and even more performance can be had out of the round. Add a suppressor and use some 38 spcl rounds and you go the other side of the envelope. As a compact design that is when looking at the full size rifle you can pack it easily and use it in tight locations. Just a few thoughts on it for the Op's stated use...

chrstian_indy

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2011
    I would prob carry this in my car. Since technically its a handgun and not a rifle

zombieland-woody-harrelson-blowing-gun.jpg

Zombie land rossi ranch

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    What is the advantage of this over just a long barred handgun? They are cool as heck but for the practicality of a BOB, my thoughts is that there are better options out there.

Don't keep my opinion from your buying one for it's cool factor alone though.

JB75

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2011
    fort wayne
    I wish I could try one out to see if at different distances I have any better accuracy say at 25 or 50 yards as compared with say a revolver with a 6 inch or longer barrel.

gunbunnies

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    NWI
    Well I may be getting one in for one of my Gunbunnies photo shoots this coming spring, I'll let you know if it does end up on my shelf. I don't buy anything and not use it atleast once... So, maybe I'll have one of the young ladies do a youtube vid about it and take it through it's paces....

gunbunnies

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    NWI
    Let me know if I'm wrong, but I'm guessing the Op is looking for a SBR compact enough to carry in his bugout bag without prying eye's noticing while possibly on foot and probably capitalizing on a caliber that he already feels comfortable about relying on in such a SHTF event. Except he doesn't want to go through the cost and legalities of buying a SBR.... but I could be wrong...

JB75

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2011
    fort wayne
    Exactly, something small but useful at a little distance. I already have a 357 revolver and a 38 snubby and I reload both. I was thinking maybe the ranch hand might take a little more abuse than a pistol such as banging it around a little or having to go awhile with out a cleaning due to whatever the situation is.

gunbunnies

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    NWI
    The lever is a sound design, been around for quite a long time... The 357 magnum isn't that devastating of a round but I would gander that the lever action would hold up to it more so than a J or K frame would... Probably mute when you enter the L or N frame but... As a shoulder-able pistol design I could see where your going with this. The only thing you would have to watch would be how far the bolt comes back in the action to determine it's ability to be stabilized by your body in a quick action situation. The pistol calibers are much easier to use and reload in the field than a rifle cartridge and the lever action and the revolver can easily be used with black powder rounds if need be in a pinch....

Exodus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 29, 2011
    SWI
    The review I read about it said the stock is too short to be used and the rifle grip is very hard to shoot like a pistol.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I held one of those in a store and I tried to put the grip up against my shoulder and at least for me, there's just no way on earth that's ever going to work out. I think the guns are awesome looking and the cool factor is through the roof, but from a practical standpoint I think it'd really be a pain in the arse.

I'm a huge fan of the Rossi/Puma 92's. I've bought several in different configurations and never had a problem with any of them. The quality and durability is outstanding and I'd take my Puma 92 44mag as a bug out gun without a second thought if I didn't have something else I prefer a little more.

My advice would be to look at the Puma 92 with the 16" trapper barrel. That rifle package is so compact that it really almost feels like a toy. That's as small as you're going to get and still have the gun be useful.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    My advice would be to look at the Puma 92 with the 16" trapper barrel. That rifle package is so compact that it really almost feels like a toy. That's as small as you're going to get and still have the gun be useful.
    aA

This. A lever action carbine such as a 16" trapper model or the Marlin 1894c would be a better choice. A shoulder fired weapon is larger but much more practical. Pair that with a good revolver and you have a nice setup.

JB75

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2011
    fort wayne
    I don't know maybe a ak folder would be better, I have a browning lever action light weight take down that when taken apart will fit in my bug out bag but its a 300 win mag. My thought was the rossi ranch hand in 357 mag., a 357 mag revolver and a 38 all in the same bag gave me options with only 1 or 2 calibers.

gunbunnies

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    NWI
    Well not saying anything against a AK but it will wieght out at 13 lbs or abouts versus the ranchhand at 4 lbs... Although I would agree a short lever with a full stock would be a good choice. The 762 by 39 is a overall good caliber, but you got to make sure your taking the ammo with you. It's not 223, 308, 9mm, 45acp, 40, 357, or 12 guage which are more standardized military and police calibers and in a SHTF situation more so available to the scavenger... The pistol calibers are under powered generally than rifle calibers but your not going to war, your trying to safeguard yourself, family, and maybe pickup some food along the way... the 38spcl/357 magnum caliber fullfills that need very well. Anyways just my .02 cents worth, as I've thought about the best case arm to take with me in a SHTF situation also...

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    JB75, here's a link to a review of the Ranchhand.

NRA Mobile

It's from The American Rifleman in October 2011. While positive it points out sme issues with the firearm. A rare thing in shooting magazine reviews!!

The reviewer hit on some points that I thought would be an issue with this "handgun" around shootability. Just seems like it would be pretty awkward to use to me. I would think you'd be better served with either a lever action carbine - such as a Trapper-style '94, or a good 4"-6" barreled revolver. JMHO, YMMV.

rmoore911

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 24, 2011
    SE Indy
    Though I like the ranch hand and am looking at acquiring one, I'd go for a carbine instead too. Just for practicallity of being able to bring it into my shoulder for a more accurate and comfortable hold while shooting.

Top Bottom