• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dodgetech

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2010
    West Lafayett, IN
    Is the TAURUS quality better than ROSSI I mean I dont know much about them but thought they were both manufactered by the same company. Is there a big difference between the 38 and the 357 or does it not matter much??? I was thinking of a 357 with a 4" barrel but I want to be able to carry so maybe a 2" but dont really like the looks of them I mean im thinking that i am a big boy 285lbs and 6'1 so maybe the 4" wont look rediculus hangin off my hip

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Rossi is Taurus and I have no issues with either's products. Taurus will have a wider variety of revolvers than the Rossi line, but qualitywise you won't be going wrong with either. I have an older model Taurus .357 that I love. If I add another revolver it'll be a Rossi or Taurus, any day. Don't think you'll go wrong with either brand.

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    Is the TAURUS quality better than ROSSI I mean I dont know much about them but thought they were both manufactered by the same company. Is there a big difference between the 38 and the 357 or does it not matter much??? I was thinking of a 357 with a 4" barrel but I want to be able to carry so maybe a 2" but dont really like the looks of them I mean im thinking that i am a big boy 285lbs and 6'1 so maybe the 4" wont look rediculus hangin off my hip

I would go with the 357 MAG, cause you can also shoot 38 SPECIAL, BUT if you buy a 38 SPECIAL you can't shoot the more powerful 357 MAG. I don't know:dunno: if ROSSI has improved, but many years ago, the ROSSI had issues.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    If I had to take the decision between .357 and .38, I'd go with the .357. Since you can always use .38's in it for plinking or even EDC. I like the option of using 2 ammo's in one firearm. Not sure I'd go 2" in .357, but you're a pretty big guy and might not mind it. I don't think the 4" would look bad as EDC, considering it's on a 6 foot guy.

Michiana

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Granger
    Older Rossi's were great

Rossi877-1.jpg
    Okay so what do you guys think of the rossi's im in the market for a new revolver maybe a 38 or 357 any suggestions, comments, ect...

I own two Rossi Model 877 revolvers; bought my first in 96' and carried it for ten years. I probably shot 500 or more rounds thru it without any issues. I had the opportunity to purchase a second one from a customer and jumped on it. I really don't like the new models compared with the older models but thats one persons opinion. Taurus/Rossi both make decent guns for the money.

Last edited:

jffyg

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2011
    Hamilton
    I dont know about the quality difference between taurus and rossi, however I do think Ruger / S&W / Colt are a step above in quality and that is from experience. I also agree get the 357, it should be designed to take more abuse even if you only shoot 38's in it and if you do end up with a 2 inch you probably will want to shoot 38 more than 357. 38 avg about 300ft energy at muzzle and 357 can go up to about 600. That is a serious difference in recoil, whats nice about revolver though is that you can let it go, what in Pistol terms is limp wrist, let the recoil allow your arm to jump. If you do that with a pistol it will jam, one of the reasons I love shooting revolver. I am probably going to cause a stir here but I recommend getting one with a hammer so you can choose single or double action shooting, even for CC. I would recomend a Taurus 85 in steel or ultra light, if cost is big issue. The ultra lights I have seen tend to be a little tighter than the steel models I think because the tooling is newer, or at least the model is newer and the tooling has tighter spec I don't know, just know they seem tighter in ultra light. You should also search the web for the revolvers buyers guide or how to check a revolver. You should look for cylinder lock up, alignment, end shake and if your buying an 85B make sure the damn barrel is on straight. ......Thats a story I will share with everyone soon.
    Good luck!
    (Actually if you can afford it and don't mind the size diff...get and SP101 2 years after selling mine I still sigh in despair when I see one. They are a work of art as far as I am concerned.) But Tori are not as bad as some say.

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Feb 23, 2010
    Converse Indiana
    (Actually if you can afford it and don't mind the size diff...get and SP101 2 years after selling mine I still sigh in despair when I see one. They are a work of art as far as I am concerned.) But Tori are not as bad as some say.[/quote]
    Love my 3" SP101 Cant go wrong with the Rugers. Not responsible for ant despair this photo may cause :D
    rugersp101.jpg

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    Six Shooter Steve, That is a sweet SP-101 you have there. The models marked for 125gr ammo are pretty rare.

Most people don't realize that fixed sight pistols are designed around particular weight ammo. The regular .357 mag SP-101's are designed around the 158gr bullets and will shoot noticeably lower than POA when shooting 125gr ammo.

I always wanted to try one of the 125gr marked models.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I have shot several different Rossi revolovers over the years and have always been happy with them. I own a Taurus m85, bought it used several years ago and I love it. I would not hesitate to buy another Taurus revolver or a Rossi revolver. Good luck with your decision.

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Feb 23, 2010
    Converse Indiana
    Six Shooter Steve, That is a sweet SP-101 you have there. The models marked for 125gr ammo are pretty rare.

Most people don't realize that fixed sight pistols are designed around particular weight ammo. The regular .357 mag SP-101's are designed around the 158gr bullets and will shoot noticeably lower than POA when shooting 125gr ammo.

I always wanted to try one of the 125gr marked models.

Yes they do shoot different with the 158grn ammo. I handload and have found the right combination to make 158grn 38's and 357's tackdrivers. Love the Ruger wheelguns!

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    Had an older style Stainless Rossi 357 mag, 6 shot, 2 1/2 in bbl. It had a gripper type set of grips( like Houges). Great shooter, easily carried. Sold it and think back now I should have kept it. It appeared well made. Maybe I will look at new ones since it is a Taurus Company model. I would buy one again.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Personally...in my opinion, the Ruger SP101 in .357 mag is the better choice! It's built heavier, handles .357 AND .38+P ammo (cheaper to shoot for target), has a pinned in front sight which can be replaced with a tritium front night sight, and has multiple, after market grips to choose from...as it does holsters.

dpzj96

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 2, 2009
    ECI
    (Actually if you can afford it and don't mind the size diff...get and SP101 2 years after selling mine I still sigh in despair when I see one. They are a work of art as far as I am concerned.) But Tori are not as bad as some say.
    Love my 3" SP101 Cant go wrong with the Rugers. Not responsible for ant despair this photo may cause :D
    rugersp101.jpg
    [/QUOTE]

B-E-A-UTIFUL

dpzj96

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 2, 2009
    ECI
    rugersp101.jpg
    [/QUOTE]

B-E-A-UTIFUL

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    The Rossi revolvers seem to be pretty well made. They don't have the smooth trigger action of a higher end gun, but are very functional. I've not been favorably impressed with Taurus' warranty repairs. One drawback is if you decide to sell the gun later, they don't retain as much value as a higher end revolver.

sonofadoublegun

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    NW - near Munster
    Many used, older Smiths can be had for the same money as a new Rossi - you just have to hunt for them... The smith will be a much finer gun, with a smoother action.

Thanks,
    JR

Last edited:
    Top Bottom