• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • L C H

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 8, 2022
    Bedford

I’ve been thinking about this rifle since I saw the release, and went ahead and ordered one today. I started out shooting and hunting with H&R Handi-Rifles, and still have a fondness for single shots.

I intend to put a Leupold 1.5-4x20 on it and see how it does at 50-75 yards with some hot 45 Colt loads. I doubt I ever have a reason to shoot .410 shot shells out of it.

Depending on how I feel about it, I might take it to Oklahoma in February to hunt hogs. Packing this rifle, 3lbs bare, should be a welcome change from lugging 8 lb+ rifles all over the Oklahoma swamplands. Should be around 4.5 lbs with the scope, mount, and a sling.

IMG_0785.jpeg

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I have discovered over the years that a 45/410 is not good for either....the long chamber makes the 45Colt Inaccurate and the 410 generally leaves a donut spead due to the rifling.
    YMMV

My brother had a 45 Colt Taurus Judge "rifle"...Hit a buck in the shoulder with 45 colt....buck kept moving....a neighbor shot it a week later.....the slug just ricocheted off the shoulder blade it seemed...he re[;aced it with a Marlin 1894 in 44 magnum and has killed numerous deer and hogs with it....

I love 45 colt...I love the 45 colt Rossi survival gun....to me it's handy version of the old trapdoor "foraging" .410s back in the 1880s....

imho....probably wrong....

L C H

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 8, 2022
    Bedford
    I’ve read mixed reviews on the circuit judge. Cylinder gap won’t be a problem on this one, but finding an accurate load with the 3” chamber might be tricky. Seems like some are fairly accurate and some are not.

This is probably going to be more of a 50 yard rifle. I have a Winchester in .45 I’ve killed deer with, no concerns about stopping power with heavy loads.

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    Looks like a solid purchase. I own a HR Survival shotgun(12 ga), and like the simple action, and portability. Also have an Altoids tin filled with survival gear stashed in buttstock. It has a small 3 blade pocket knife, 1/2 bandanna, and ferro rod as well. The stock is wrapped in camo burlap, and camo sling attached. Extra ammo in an elastic sleeve on the stock.
    I installed a fiber optic front sight over the bead sight with a drop of silicone to keep tight fit.
    Great camp or truck gun use, and have taken a couple of deer too. (slugs are kinda brutal though). Good luck on the 45 Long Colt round, used that before in a Ruger Single Action revolver.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Looks like a solid purchase. I own a HR Survival shotgun(12 ga), and like the simple action, and portability. Also have an Altoids tin filled with survival gear stashed in buttstock. It has a small 3 blade pocket knife, 1/2 bandanna, and ferro rod as well. The stock is wrapped in camo burlap, and camo sling attached. Extra ammo in an elastic sleeve on the stock.
    I installed a fiber optic front sight over the bead sight with a drop of silicone to keep tight fit.
    Great camp or truck gun use, and have taken a couple of deer too. (slugs are kinda brutal though). Good luck on the 45 Long Colt round, used that before in a Ruger Single Action revolver.

Same lol.... 1703774542343.png

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County

I’ve been thinking about this rifle since I saw the release, and went ahead and ordered one today. I started out shooting and hunting with H&R Handi-Rifles, and still have a fondness for single shots.

I intend to put a Leupold 1.5-4x20 on it and see how it does at 50-75 yards with some hot 45 Colt loads. I doubt I ever have a reason to shoot .410 shot shells out of it.

Depending on how I feel about it, I might take it to Oklahoma in February to hunt hogs. Packing this rifle, 3lbs bare, should be a welcome change from lugging 8 lb+ rifles all over the Oklahoma swamplands. Should be around 4.5 lbs with the scope, mount, and a sling.

View attachment 321297
    How hot do you plan on loading your 45colt?

Max Volume

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    da region Highland
    I had not thought of the accuracy with the long chamber. I love the 45 Colt cartridge though especially through
    my Marlin 1894 Cowboy Limited. It is a rifle I can pick up, not concentrate much and be very accurate with.
    More so than my Marlin 44 mag.

L C H

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 8, 2022
    Bedford
    I picked the gun up today. It is a handy little thing. I cleaned it, then mounted the scope and added a sling.

IMG_0804.jpeg

IMG_0807.jpeg

I tried 3 brands of ammunition, each yielded about 6” groups at 50 yards. Not what I was hoping for, but not exactly surprising after digging into deeper research on similar 45/410 firearms.

IMG_0806.jpeg

The cowboy action rounds are pleasant to shoot. The +P loads kick pretty good in this little lightweight gun.

At this point I’m not sure if I’ll keep it or send it on down the road. It’s not accurate enough that I feel comfortable hunting big game with it. I will probably repurpose the scope to a different rifle, then maybe see how it does at close range with .410.

Attachments

• IMG_0805.jpeg
      IMG_0805.jpeg
      486.3 KB · Views: 4
    Top Bottom