• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    Okay so in 7 days I'm scheduled to have rotator cup surgery, I'm kind of nervous about it but not scared. Anyone here have said surgery before, and could give me any clue as what to expect. I'm 43, and never had surgery before unless you count getting my tonsils out back in 76...

I'm amazed that no one has corrected you on the terminology. Many people refer to this as rotator "cup" surgery (there is no such thing, the closest thing is the glenoid labrum that extends the size of the glenoid fossa (or socket where the head/ball of the humerous rests). The cuff is a group of muscles that surrounds the ball essentially acting on the humerous to rotate the shoulder inward and outward and place a crucial roll in the ability of the deltoid to elevate the shoulder above 90 degrees (parallel to the floor in standing). It also plays a role in the deceleration of the arm during activities like throwing a baseball.
    You've gotten good advice.
    Follow Directions. The worse thing you can do is try to lift, push and pull things too soon (you can ruin the repair). Light ROM (range of motion) within the prescribed limits will speed recovery (and ironically, even though sometimes painful, will help resolve pain more quickly).
    (I've rehabed probably a hundred of these over the years ... if you follow directions ... you'll do fine.)

Ralphie Parker

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 23, 2013
    Waterloo
    I had this surgery several years ago. Do just like everyone says and FOLLOW DIRECTIONS. I got kinda bored being limited on activity the first few weeks. When I went to therapy, there was a special needs guy that was a few weeks ahead of me in therapy. One week he decided to take a break from his exercises because he thought he had been working hard at it and deserved a break. Man was I glad I wasn't him the next time the therapist worked him over. She said she wasn't able to get him back to where he was the week before. Learn lessons from other peoples mistakes.

jd42k

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    I've had it twice on the same shoulder.

You may have a good experience and feel really good in a short time after your surgery. Please listen to your doctor and do not do things you are not supposed to using your shoulder as the tendons in your shoulder take more time to heal and properly re-attach to the bone.

You may have to sleep sitting in a chair for a while but it's only temporary.

I don't like taking pills but for this surgery I recommend to take the pain pills as directed to manage post surgery pain for a few days afterwards.

At the end of the day you'll be glad you did it.

If needed I'd do it again for the 3rd time.

Top Bottom