• ...and so much more!
  • Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    152   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    Non-competition shooting, I usually do drills only with pistol and fire less than 100, sometimes less than 50 rounds out of any one hand gun. Usually, I’m testing rifle loads, pistol loads, etc. Then comes shootin day and lots of brass hits the ground!

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    My usual weekend range trip is 50 - 100 rounds through my carry gun and 100 or so rounds through a .22 target pistol. If I'm meeting up with someone who wants to shoot several guns, I bring several and run a couple mags through each or so. I always try to put at least a couple mags through my carry gun minimum a week, but everything else depends on if I'm shooting alone or with other shooters.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    Also, I think you made a great choice for only having one gun. If I were to get to that point yours is the one I would probably want to have.

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    Seriously? Almost every ad for a used handgun says 500 or less rounds fired through the gun. Yeah. Right! And I still believe in pixie dust and the tooth fairy. Caveat emptor!!!

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Seriously? Almost every ad for a used handgun says 500 or less rounds fired through the gun. Yeah. Right! And I still believe in pixie dust and the tooth fairy. Caveat emptor!!!

I always put as close to realistic as possible round count.
    There was a time that I had a specific log for each gun. I have lost that enthusiasm at this point in my life but I do have a rally good idea on all of them. Easy to do when you do not gt out that much.

EricG

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 19, 2013
    NWI
    Most people I know have several handguns and several rifles. I'm currently at 4 handguns. Most of my rounds go through my carry gun and it's back up. The other 2 get a little play when I want to break the monotony. They have pretty low round counts.

When I take a class, my carry gun and back up get a bulk of the play. My carry gun is floating around ~6k (since 2014) and the back up ~3600 (since 2017). When I go to the range, I have no set amount I'm shooting. I take a set amount but if I feel I haven't achieved my goals set before hand, I'll buy more and stay until I'm satisfied. Then there are times I don't get through even half of what I brought.

Understand, there are a lot of hobbyists in the gun culture. It's hard to stack tens of thousands of rounds on a dozen guns, at least for most of us. Time and funds would dictate that.

Sent from my VS810PP using Tapatalk

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Most people I know have several handguns and several rifles. I'm currently at 4 handguns. Most of my rounds go through my carry gun and it's back up. The other 2 get a little play when I want to break the monotony. They have pretty low round counts.

When I take a class, my carry gun and back up get a bulk of the play. My carry gun is floating around ~6k (since 2014) and the back up ~3600 (since 2017). When I go to the range, I have no set amount I'm shooting. I take a set amount but if I feel I haven't achieved my goals set before hand, I'll buy more and stay until I'm satisfied. Then there are times I don't get through even half of what I brought.

Understand, there are a lot of hobbyists in the gun culture. It's hard to stack tens of thousands of rounds on a dozen guns, at least for most of us. Time and funds would dictate that.

Sent from my VS810PP using Tapatalk

I have maybe 25 hand guns. 6 I have yet to even shoot. In the last few years there has been a lot of rotation. This year I am pretty well set with th piecs I now have. Yes it is hard to wear anything out.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I always put as close to realistic as possible round count.
    There was a time that I had a specific log for each gun. I have lost that enthusiasm at this point in my life but I do have a rally good idea on all of them. Easy to do when you do not gt out that much.

I am anal enough that I still try to keep a round count and maintenance log on all of them. It’s not perfectly accurate but I can tell to about 98% accuracy for anything that I’ve bought new.

My first CZ got ran up to about 3500 rounds rather quickly in the first year but the round count slowed as I started to buy other CZs. That original CZ is only up to about 4100 rounds now after 8 years of ownership. My first P10C was quickly run up to about 2700 rounds but that has slowed now too as it has an identical twin that needs run.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

oze

Mow Ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 26, 2018
    Fort Wayne
    Thanks for all of the insightful replies, guys. Shooting is so much fun, that running practice drills is a joy.

I have even learned a few things. For example, it became pretty difficult to rack the slide on the PCR with my sweaty, mildly arthritic hand as we were doing a shoot and scoot drill. Like a lightbulb, it occurred to me that I shouldn't just pull the slide back, but also simultaneously push the frame forward with the strong hand. Well, duh. Working on ingraining that habit now!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I have even learned a few things. For example, it became pretty difficult to rack the slide on the PCR with my sweaty, mildly arthritic hand as we were doing a shoot and scoot drill. Like a lightbulb, it occurred to me that I shouldn't just pull the slide back, but also simultaneously push the frame forward with the strong hand. Well, duh.浪 Working on ingraining that habit now!
    That is one of the things that I have problems with too, is getting a grip on that little tiny slide inside of the frame, relative to other pistols that I am used to shooting.

BStarkey 46947

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 14, 2012
    I have more than one firearm that I have not fired for various reasons, some that I have no intention of firing. I have not been out to "shoot" yet this year. At one point in life I was DINK (dual income, no kids) and had much more disposable income and time than is currently the case. I got into guns primarily for hunting purposes in the late 80's. My son and I hunt and we shoot a few times a year, but don't have a ritual of going out to shoot on e.g. the 3rd Saturday of every month. Too many other priorities get in the way. We go shooting a couple 2-3 times to get the hunting rifles/muzzle loader tuned up, practice, and take a long a .22, AR, and handguns to shoot. A good example: we had planned a range day last weekend on Saturday, just to go shoot for fun. The weather turned, the heat index was 103 deg, and we didn't feel like chumming for mosquitoes and ticks so we called off the trip. Needless to say, I don't log round counts. I wipe them down and put them in the safe. Every firearm gets wiped down annually. Guns I have affection for get silicone socks. Black rifles go commando.

jeffsqartan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2012
    It's funny, I bought a 9mm because A, I wanted a smaller 1911, and B, I thought I would shoot it more because 9mm is so much cheaper than 45.
    I actually shot that gun about the same in the last 2.5 years than I have the new 1911 I bought this spring. Of course, I did get into reloading, so that helps. But still.

I've also grown much more into carrying. I carried quite often in the past, but this last year has really been a, "I'm carrying everywhere I go, regardless of where it is."
    That extra range time has been nice to solidify my confidence in my carry gun.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I think on most ads the stated round count is higher than actual.
    I dont have a reason to lie about round count if I'm selling or trading. Only with certain rifles do I actualy record every round I've fired (3 I own). Otherwise a low round count means nothing, it's the condition of the gun that matters to me on a pistol.
    If I'm selling a pistol myself that means I didnt enjoy it for whatever reason or I have duplicates and it's being sacrificed to acquire another gun I'd rather have NOW. If you are selling a glock to me I could truly care less if it has 100 rounds or 3k rounds through it as long as the frame and slide arent beat up. I mean I'll take them like that but I'm not gonna pay you the same price as one that's not beat up. Round count is whatever to me.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    The FAL I have is one of the old DSAs with the LMT receiver. The factory is the only one that has shot it so far. I hope to remedy that soon...

Top Bottom