• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hillnc01

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 13, 2012
    FT. Wayne
    If there is already a thread out there similar to this I apologize in advance, but I was curious to see how many rounds you guys have through your guns. What kind of guns are you guys putting these rounds through?

vette3667

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 10, 2009
    I keep a rough count in my head but nothing exact. Most I have on a single gun is approaching 3k through my XD9. No issues at all so far.

Remington1100

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2009
    Franklin
    I dont have a definate answer, but I have a Marlin model 60 with probably 20k rounds throught it and its still accurate as all get out. Best .22 I have ever owned or shot.

PriestEG

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 4, 2011
    Indianapolis
    the only firearm that i have any accurate count is my Smith & Wesson 500 mag. its so expensive to shoot and i treat every piece of brass like a valuable gem, i have every one of them for when i start to reload for myself.
    S&W 500 172rds

then on things like my ruger 10/22, i would say in the 15-18thousand range, but thats just an estimate. my H&R 929 22lr that is close to 50 years old and has been passed down thru three generations in my family may even more than the 10/22 but who knows.

i honestly dont keep a running log of my round counts as i dont feel it matters, long as the gun is taken care of properly.

bccorvette

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2012
    Reddington
    I am the same way as others posted already, no count at all on my guns. I just shoot them till i run out of ammo. I fan tell you my Kimberley took about 300 rounds to break in. I stopped counting after that.

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    The only firearm that I've bothered to keep track of that with is my RRA NM AR15 because after 3500-4000 rnds the barrel throat erodes and it starts to shoot "minute of fist". Just not even close to competitive. My pistols and .22's just don't seem to eat up the barrel like that. I had a Springfield .45 that after a dozen years, maybe 100K rnds, and a Dwyer "group gripper" would still shoot 1 1/2" @20yds!

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I shoot highpower at several ranges all over the mid-west. Each of my match rifles has a "gun book". I keep track of number of rounds fired and where they are fired at. If there is a difference in zero at a particular range, I make note of that for the next time I shoot at that range.

There are some other things I keep track of, but they are like reminders of things. If I make a change in the load, I note that and the new zero and continue on from there. Sometimes if I had a poor performance, I will make a note of why and what happened.

Lots of guys keep far more detailed records than I. The Military rifle teams teach their members to keep detailed records of conditions, shot call, and shot score.

Right now, I am keeping a book for a .223 Service Rifle, a .223 match rifle, a 6mm AR match rifle, and a .308 Palma bolt gun.

I have found that I get about 5,000 rounds through my .223 guns before I get unexplained elevation deviations at 600 yards and it is time for a new barrel. I would not want to go to Camp Perry with a barrel getting close to that mark. Without a book, I would have no idea.

Here is the US Army Marksmanship Unit's take on the riflemans Data Book......http://www.odcmp.org/0706/default.asp?page=USAMU_DATABOOKS

For my pistols and shotguns, it doesn't matter. I don't think it is possible to shoot out a short range pistol. I have a 1911 with at least 50,000 rounds through it. Slick pistol and accurate too.

Last edited:

duffman0286

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Wayne Co
    well right now im spending more time building them than shooting them sad i know but iv really enjoy building them.... still have few that are unfired like my yugo m76 and one mosin 91/30, my sten build as maybe 50 through it (but its not completely finished yet) still needs sights, but others like my sks over 1k some ak's over 1k, but my ar15 gets neglected i just sighted it in and parked it so maybe 75 at most but it still is a fairly new rifle build

NinnJinn

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 10, 2011
    Loogootee (Lo Go Tee
    When I got my first gun, I had every intention of keeping track of round count..

However, with folks at the range and my uncle giving me 4-5 factory rounds here and there to try out, I quickly lost count. Due to bulk ammo, I know she has at least 1100rds down the pipe...

jason765

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Henry County
    If there is already a thread out there similar to this I apologize in advance, but I was curious to see how many rounds you guys have through your guns. What kind of guns are you guys putting these rounds through?
    "how many pots have you smoken? How many times have you gone to the bathroom in your life?":D :dunno:prob somewhere between 5,000 and 10,000 double that if we count BB's. Pistols, rifles, shotguns, and muzzle loaders but that one fateful day a was boating on Lake Monroe and my boat sank with all my guns, now I dont have any:( BTW asking people to specify on what weapons they have usually does not pan out on this forum, I guess its just a massive coincidence that most of the people here dont own any guns. Welcome to :ingo:

vette3667

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 10, 2009
    I shoot highpower at several ranges all over the mid-west. Each of my match rifles has a "gun book". I keep track of number of rounds fired and where they are fired at. If there is a difference in zero at a particular range, I make note of that for the next time I shoot at that range.

There are some other things I keep track of, but they are like reminders of things. If I make a change in the load, I note that and the new zero and continue on from there. Sometimes if I had a poor performance, I will make a note of why and what happened.

Lots of guys keep far more detailed records than I. The Military rifle teams teach their members to keep detailed records of conditions, shot call, and shot score.

Right now, I am keeping a book for a .223 Service Rifle, a .223 match rifle, a 6mm AR match rifle, and a .308 Palma bolt gun.

I have found that I get about 5,000 rounds through my .223 guns before I get unexplained elevation deviations at 600 yards and it is time for a new barrel. I would not want to go to Camp Perry with a barrel getting close to that mark. Without a book, I would have no idea.

Here is the US Army Marksmanship Unit's take on the riflemans Data Book......CMP - First Shot Online!

For my pistols and shotguns, it doesn't matter. I don't think it is possible to shoot out a short range pistol. I have a 1911 with at least 50,000 rounds through it. Slick pistol and accurate too.

Good information, I don't shoot those kind of ranges and didn't realize it made a difference. I imagine it can get expensive changing barrels every 5k rounds?

Top Bottom