• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dosproduction

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Porter County
    So i keep a pretty good round count on all my items. Used items i keep marked used then how many i put through. One thing i find that gets my numbers off though is when i have people over and we are all shooting different weapons with the same magazines. At this point i just try to remember best what was shot and such. Do you keep a accurate count and any good methods to keep it accurate?

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    Pistols and shotguns will go for a long time. No need to keep track, I keep them clean and lubed. I'll maintain them as necessary. The .556 has a CHF chrome lined barrel, so it basically falls into that category as well. My .308 bolt gun will eventually shoot the barrel out, but when it does, I'll know it. I'll guesstimate I've got 500-700 through it, so it won't need a barrel for a long time. So, no, I don't really care what my round count is, other than I wish it were more.

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    Greenwood
    I'm with Jagee. I don't even try anymore, but if someone seriously wants to know I could give a number + or - 5000. I see no benefit other than personal satisfaction.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Every gun I buy, I decide that I'm going to keep an accurate round count. After the first time I shoot it, and I realize that I forgot to count ammo, I decide I'll do it on the next gun.

AmmoManAaron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 20, 2015
    I-get-around
    I've never been the least bit concerned with it, just inspected them for issues/excessive wear when I bought them. I think about 80% of them are older than I am, and only one was bought new (unless you count a couple that were unissued military surplus).

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I don't even try. I usually have a good idea how many primers I've gone through though. Just kind of divide that number between the guns of that caliber.

Last edited:

Redtbird

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Apr 18, 2012
    Monroe County
    I have 'range boxes' for each gun I have, and inside each box is a 3x5 note pad used for keeping track of rounds fired through that particular gun. To me, it's the same as keeping mileage records for a vehicle.

Mike Elzinga

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    NWI
    I tear the end of every 1000 box of primers and save those, and write the caliber that I loaded them into. Im not a guy that keeps a ton of loaded ammo on hand, so my ammo count will always be fairly close (+/- 1k) to the rounds fired. Ive got several guns in the calibers I load the most, but usually 1 gun gets shot much more than the others. The only real reason I keep any track at all is because I like to honestly say the high round counts on several of my guns. I always laugh at people who think they "wore a gun out" or those who think a round count under 10K matters when buying a used gun. Ive got 3 guns with over 100K through each, I still shoot them and Ill never sell them.

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    lol i would have thought more people on here would keep a accurate count. I must say that my counts are within 20 shots of actual count excluding the used items.

I don't keep even a vague count. I am kind of fascinated by the prospect of people keeping an intentional, accurate, count. I shoot my edc more than I would care to keep track of. I have an AR 50 that I have not shot and intend to "book" every round shot, so if I keep to my intentions, that will be my first.

Do you mind sharing how many rounds some of your guns have logged? What is the highest round count gun you have logged?

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Glock has 2 G-17s in the museum in Austria that have documented 750,000 rounds through each with nothing but spring changes.. I didn't try to keep track before I knew that, now I have even less reason to try to track round count.. Also I picked up a G-34 last year on GB that I'm sure, from looking at the external wear on the barrel, has been shot more than any pistol I've ever owned (educated guess would be a minimum of 30-40,000 rounds). I dropped in off with AllenM for a cosmetic makeover (evidenced below) and it's as good a shooter as I can drag out of the safe.
    The "round count" question has become one of those things that grate on my nerves a little when someone asks me round count on something I'm selling. To each his own but my personal feeling is "round count, we don't need no stinking round count".

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member[/FONT][FONT=&amp]-- [/FONT][FONT=&amp]GSSF member[/FONT]
    Ruger MK III, M&P & 1911mechanic
    NRA Basic pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] –[/FONT]Certified Glock armorer

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    I know I could keep track of the total number of rounds in each caliber, I might take more than one gun in a given caliber to the range and who remembers how many shots I took with each gun.

I should say that I wish I was that diligent, and it would be a good thing to do, I'm just not that diligent.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I kept an exact round count on my .308 for several years before deciding that ball park numbers were just fine. Once I got past 3000 rounds it isn't like a gunsmith is going to really care how many rounds it has seen, either the barrel will be shot out or it won't. The only reason I even keep a ball park is to have an idea of when it'll need to be cleaned. Around 450 -500 rounds and she starts to open up a bit.

wolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    S Side Indy
    I keep track on my carry guns until the 1K mark for reliability reasons only, and if there are no failures at that point I stop counting.

Top Bottom