• ...and so much more!
  • marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.
    I bet you like it when stop lights are timed to stop traffic doing the speed limit too don’t ya.

A looong time ago I was told that if you are doing the speed limit that you would be stopped by every other light. Don't know if this is still part of the traffic engineers playbook.

tmcindy

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2014
    Avon, IN
    Well, they definitely are different. The one I have to use up North, when I go to my Niece's, has 2 lanes all the way around, so, if you want to stay on the road you're on & take second exit, stay in right lane. Now, the roundabout I have to use on 10th street on my way to IU West, the right lane ends, so, unless you are going to take the first exit, you better stay in left lane (made this mistake my first time). I think I prefer this style, once you learn how it works.

marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.
    This is by design to make one slow down. Also, most do not just go straight into the circle, they have curves designed to force the vehicle to slow down…

Poor design then. I have been through some roundabouts that you can not see oncoming traffic until you are just abut nosed into the roundabout.

It certainly doesn't work. The aggressive drivers just drive right into the roundabout without looking because, "I didn't see anything coming." and anyone sensible is going to slow down to nothing because they can't see.

There are well planned and laid out roundabouts, but there are also some very awful ones.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    A looong time ago I was told that if you are doing the speed limit that you would be stopped by every other light. Don't know if this is still part of the traffic engineers playbook.
    It is way more complicated than that. Today they time the lights (those that can be timed) so that morning rush hour flows in and the evening rush hour out. If one is going the opposite way you will get them all…

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Yes, they put the bridge abutments right up against the roads entering the round-abouts and the round-abouts right up next to the bridge. A little bit of setback on either one would have greatly improved visibility and safety.
    I drive both of the roundabouts at the 39 exchange every Sunday.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    I drive both of the roundabouts at the 39 exchange every Sunday.
    I don't go that way often but I think those 2 are a little more open with somewhat better visibility. The two for the 252 and 44 exchange are the ones I use the most and they are terrible. I'm surprised they don't have regular accidents.

rooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Indianapolis
    It is way more complicated than that. Today they time the lights (those that can be timed) so that morning rush hour flows in and the evening rush hour out. If one is going the opposite way you will get them all…
    I do not for one second believe that anyone is timing lights in order to effectively move traffic.

Plainfield’s Quaker BLVD that connects US 40 and hwy 70 for instance, you will hit every light if you go the speed limit, hell you catch every light going under and over the speed limit. It’s so poorly timed that they have pushed traffic to take the 2 lane road that goes past Hummel park instead of it.

Stafford rd from Quaker to Ronald Reagan. You will hit every single light regardless of speed.

Liberals wanna talk about saving the environment? I know one thing we can do to save thousands of hours in car idle time.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    If I hit the first light right, I can make it all the way down College ave through downtown all green. Must be 8-10 intersections.

I'd say Bloomington has them synced pretty well. Same on my return trip at the end of the day. Once I get the first green, I sail through.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I do not for one second believe that anyone is timing lights in order to effectively move traffic.
    I have personally worked with the staff in counties to time the lights better, so they certainly do work to time them where they can and have lights that can be timed. Ever leave downtown going north in the afternoon, they are timed so you do not have to stop more than once if you drive the limit. 146th street between 37 and 69 are timed for morning and then for evening rush hours. You do not have to believe it but they do work on it and my calls have always been dealt with professionally as they want to flow traffic.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Plainfield’s Quaker BLVD that connects US 40 and hwy 70 for instance, you will hit every light if you go the speed limit, hell you catch every light going under and over the speed limit. It’s so poorly timed that they have pushed traffic to take the 2 lane road that goes past Hummel park instead of it.

Stafford rd from Quaker to Ronald Reagan. You will hit every single light regardless of speed.
    Ever called to discuss this with the person in charge of signalized intersections?

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    If I hit the first light right, I can make it all the way down College ave through downtown all green. Must be 8-10 intersections.

I'd say Bloomington has them synced pretty well. Same on my return trip at the end of the day. Once I get the first green, I sail through.
    THIS!

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I have personally worked with the staff in counties to time the lights better, so they certainly do work to time them where they can and have lights that can be timed. Ever leave downtown going north in the afternoon, they are timed so you do not have to stop more than once if you drive the limit. 146th street between 37 and 69 are timed for morning and then for evening rush hours. You do not have to believe it but they do work on it and my calls have always been dealt with professionally as they want to flow traffic.
    Indianapolis seems to do it the opposite. I've had to come through downtown heading south out of town on West Street in the afternoon/evening rush hour and the timing was horrendous. I'd have to stop at every light. I was so relieved to get south of South Street and be out of there.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Indianapolis seems to do it the opposite. I've had to come through downtown heading south out of town on West Street in the afternoon/evening rush hour and the timing was horrendous. I'd have to stop at every light. I was so relieved to get south of South Street and be out of there.
    Could that be a jam up caused by Lilly trying to get to the interstate?

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Could that be a jam up caused by Lilly trying to get to the interstate?
    I don't think so. We'd take off as soon as a light turned green and you could literally see the next one turning red as soon as you got through the intersection. I guess if you could drive about 80 or 90 mph through there, they might have been timed right. :):

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I don't think so. We'd take off as soon as a light turned green and you could literally see the next one turning red as soon as you got through the intersection. I guess if you could drive about 80 or 90 mph through there, they might have been timed right. :):
    My best guess is they were only timed one way and did not have variable timing like I described on 146th, or were timed to move the other streets you were crossing. They may not be not be able to be timed at all also…

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    My best guess is they were only timed one way and did not have variable timing like I described on 146th, or were timed to move the other streets you were crossing. They may not be not be able to be timed at all also…
    For whatever reason (which makes no sense to me when I think about it), the timing seemed better heading toward downtown than heading out from downtown.

Another thing that bugs me is that so much deference is given to north/south streets near me. I live on an east/west street and just to go about a mile, it would sometimes take me a good 10 minutes because so much deference was given to the north/south lights. They'd stay green for nearly 3 minutes, while the east/west light might only be green for 30 seconds or less. I'm like, "Not everybody wants to go north or south thank you very much!"

Top Bottom