• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    One other thing that makes roundabouts great, when you have a sportcar and the traffic is light or none, you can really have a blast zigging through them!!!!!!!

NickJ

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    Indianapolis
    My town has had roundabouts for nearly 10 years. They are far more efficient than stop signs. Traffic around here has gotten WAY better. It does seem that the older folks generally have trouble navigating around them, but when you see one for the first time...they are quite pequliar. Honestly though, why do people sometimes think that they have to stop at every break off point???

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    My town has had roundabouts for nearly 10 years. They are far more efficient than stop signs. Traffic around here has gotten WAY better. It does seem that the older folks generally have trouble navigating around them, but when you see one for the first time...they are quite pequliar. Honestly though, why do people sometimes think that they have to stop at every break off point???

I watched one person go around the roundabout at least two times before figuring which road to turn on. Guessing people can actually get lost going around in the circle!

NickJ

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I watched one person go around the roundabout at least two times before figuring which road to turn on. Guessing people can actually get lost going around in the circle!

hahahaha!! Ive seen that too. I just sold my motorcycle, but before I did, I would go around them like 4 times to see how low I could get. People thought I was nuts...which I am.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    One disadvantage is that long trucks will get hamstrung if they try to drive around one of them. And if they approach one accidentally, now they have to back up and find a detour.

Another interesting fact is that these round curbs cost around $1.5 Million dollars to install.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    One disadvantage is that long trucks will get hamstrung if they try to drive around one of them. And if they approach one accidentally, now they have to back up and find a detour.

Another interesting fact is that these round curbs cost around $1.5 Million dollars to install.

Got a friend that drives a fire truck. He told me that there are several roundabouts they can't drive around so they just straighten them out a bit. :D

Armed Eastsider

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2010

This. Anybody who says they love roundabouts has never driven a semi through them. You either have to catch every curb, or take up both lanes of the roundabout, or both. I HATE ROUNDABOUTS.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I heard the Carmel mayor on the radio a few weeks ago talking about the roundabouts and he said there has been a pretty drastic increase in injury collisions in those intersections that now have roundabouts.

Also, he said that they build them with something relatively tall in the middle of the roundabout that the driver can't see over. This forces the driver to actually look to their left instead of trying to look across the roundabout and pulling out in front of someone.

It was actually pretty interesting.

I think you meant decrease

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    I find traffic moves alot faster and smoother then it did before we had them up here.

Yep, the traffic would back up for dozens of cars at those 4-way stop intersections east and west of 31 before them. Now it might back up, but not nearly as much and not to the stand-still.

But I can't admit I like them. My husband would go bonkers. He hates them.

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    I'll take a roundabout over a stop sign any day of the week. Only stop if you need to. Much smarter way to do it, in my non-traffic engineer opinion.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Roundabouts are great drunk catchers. I'v only seen one fatality involving a roundabout. It was right after they had finished the one at 96th/Westfield. About 3am, two drunk hispanic guys hit the HUGE center blocks at about 80mph. No bueno, blocks win everytime. I'd rather those two idiots "by the farm," rather than them smoking a innocent by running a red light.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    Roundabouts are great drunk catchers. I'v only seen one fatality involving a roundabout. It was right after they had finished the one at 96th/Westfield. About 3am, two drunk hispanic guys hit the HUGE center blocks at about 80mph. No bueno, blocks win everytime. I'd rather those two idiots "by the farm," rather than them smoking a innocent by running a red light.

Holy crap!! The .5 seconds between realizing the road ended and death must have been really terrifying.

Dogman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Hamilton County
    If you want to have some fun, drive the roundabouts in some of the eastern states. Some are four lanes. The ones in Indiana are quick and easy, it's the drivers that are the problem.

Top Bottom