• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GPD177

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Greenwood
    Murder and traffic regulations are only different in degree, they are both behavior codes that are limited/defined by law, by the elected reps of we the people as a whole.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    My instinct tells me to disagree with you, but I find nothing here to disagree with.

Hate when that happens! :D

Damn, that's unfortunate.:):

Murder and traffic regulations are only different in degree, they are both behavior codes that are limited/defined by law, by the elected reps of we the people as a whole.

I think they are fundamentally quite different.

While they are quite different on the surface, disobeying certain traffic regulations can lead to similar results.

I couldn't care less if they have reflective triangles on their buggies during the day, but once darkness hits, they need to have them or be off of the roads. I don't even want to imagine how bad I would feel if I killed a family, regardless if it was their fault. I also wouldn't feel too great if I swerved off of the road and wrapped my vehicle around a tree because I didn't see them until the last moment.

strahd71

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    wanatah
    why dont we deal with the truth! it's not about the reflectors or their beliefs!

its about the open milk container they found in the buggy!

jake

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    They reject our society, don't pay our taxes, and break our laws. They ride around in gangs, dressed alike, in their 2-horsepower anarchy wagons. Finally they will get the chance to learn about American values from their experience being arrested and thrown in cages with other criminals.

OK let me see if I understand this.

They use public roads at night, without lights or reflective tape. Carriages have been involved in several fairly high profile disasters where whole families have died because they've been hit by cars/trucks on the roadway.

We are supposed to feel sorry for them because they are tossed in jail :rolleyes:

I have to raise the BS flag on this one. Seriously who is feeling sorry for the poor drivers who run into these careless idiots on our roads? You run over carriage and kill a whole family and I'd bet you are screwed up for the rest of your life but we don't hear about the drivers who have killed fools like these folks.

I'm actually very much in awe of the lifestyles of these folks but if they go out on the public roads they damn well better have reflective tape, SMV signs and at night they need some flashing lights. I get they have a religion that we should show respect for (just like all other religions) but that does not mean we should allow them to endanger us with their actions.​

Garb

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2009
    Richmond
    I have to agree with the idea that the Amish should have reflectors on their buggies. It is totally within the realm of the local or state government, both constitutionally, and for the sake of safety, to make them have reflectors on their buggies while on public roads.

NYFelon

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    DPRNY
    Genuine question. Naturally I have done some travelling, even into PA where the East Coast Amish are known to roam. However, having lived the whole of my life in NY, and having been born into a Catholic family, I have little to no knowledge of such sects. Earlier on, someone mentioned a difference between Mennonites and Amish, I admit I had always thought they were the same. Can someone give me a sort of quick quide as to the differences?

Sorry for the thread jack, and thanks in advance.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    :laugh:

is that for real?

Close with exceptions. There are horse & buggy Mennonites in some areas. We have some in Western Elkhart County. Some of the Amish will get exceptions from their Bishop to drive a car due to health or something.

Jerry

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 23, 2008
    S. Indy
    Why does this remind me of central booking at Santa's workshop?

amish-620x396.jpg

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    The orange triangles are for their safety really, not others'.

BULLCRAP

The orange triangle on my tractors is so others don't run into my tractor and kill THEMSELVES (or me).

Those a SMV triangles and they go on all farm vehicles that cannot maintain the speed limits including hay wagons. If a SMV triangle is there to protect the vehicle occupant then who is it protecting when a school bus runs into a hay wagon? It is there to alert drivers for the purpose of protecting the other driver as well as anyone who occupies the SMV placarded vehicle.

Top Bottom