• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Coil springs. Dunno what a Blackdiamond conversion to a CJ5 would feel like. Zero space.....yup, a Wrangler 4 door would be my choice.

But the prices, new or used, are too high.

My last CJ5 i got cheap, as it had been rolled ( somersault ). Steering wheel was touching the seat LOL.

Straightened the firewall and bolted new front on.

Ugly as hell, drove the crap out of it.
    Had some zip after i redid the engine.

6cyl. 3 speed ( liked the 4 speed on my 82 better ). 304 v8 would make one into an amusement park.

Proly only reason Im alive, 6cyl.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    Spent 15 yrs or so behind the wheel of CJ5s.

Have been beaten enough.

Wrangler 4 door or a freakin quad. Nothing in between.

5s are cute but that axle hop is brutal.
    20 yrs and itd be killer now.

Changing lanes on its own when hitting washboard at speed was exciting though.

My Dad warned me of all of this when I bought my TJ, not realizing that they have almost nothing in common with CJs and certainly not the military Jeeps he drove in Vietnam.

TJs are CJ7 length, but on coil springs. My TJ rides dramatically better than our '74 GMC K1500, which is twice as long, but on leaf springs. It rides much better than even a late generation K5 Blazer too, also much longer.

Honestly, the only thing that rides even better is one a lift. Those offroad springs are super mushy and are like riding in a really loud '70s Caddy. :)

I'm sure the JKs and JLs ride even better.

So, 2 door, 4 door, whatever you want, would be much better than what you used to have if you'd like to get back into one.

There's even a factory pink option now! Go get a Barbie to chauffeur.

1630354770375.png

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Ive driven TJs and am aware of the ride diff.

I went to the dark side and bought ZJ.
    4 doors and heaters that work ;)

Alas, 98 the last yr and theyre rotting out now. WJ suck, last of the solid front axle grocery getters. Had one of those turds.

Proly end up w new style GC whatever theyre called, 3 to 5 yrs old.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    Ive driven TJs and am aware of the ride diff.

I went to the dark side and bought ZJ.
    4 doors and heaters that work ;)

Alas, 98 the last yr and theyre rotting out now. WJ suck, last of the solid front axle grocery getters. Had one of those turds.

Proly end up w new style GC whatever theyre called, 3 to 5 yrs old.

The heater in my TJ will run you out of it, even with the soft top. So will the AC (when it's not melting wire harnesses... that's a different thing). :dunno:

We all have our own experiences, but I'm used to hearing most of this stuff about CJs and YJs.

Anyhow, if you really liked your ZJ, go out west and grab a dry one. XJ prices have been going nuts for awhile, but the ZJ community is pretty small by comparison. I would imagine you could buy the nicest one on Earth for under $10k. The critical parts are all still available and cheap.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Yep...keeping an eye on these.

Maybe when the used ones are more plentiful I'll bite. I hate new vehicle depn

My wife likes the looks of the 2 door version. I may end up with one in a year or two, but we'll spec it as we want it and buy new. I doubt these depreciate much at first if the Wrangler is any indication. Plus we keep our stuff for so long the depreciation amortized over the years gets to be pretty negligible.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    The 5.9 ZJs are stupid priced. Nicer interior and some zip.
    Both of mine were 5.2L.
    3.5" and 32's was perfect for 3.73 gears and being a DD.

But with screwed up back a 2" BB and 31's is what I'd do.
    Currently running 255r 16 and no lift. It needs a BB as last deer fetching episode I bonked the underside a fair bit.

I'm too lazy to put it in. Has 217K and is too far gone for me to put money or time into it.
    Just driving it til prices and availability change on something nicer.

Thinking 2016 GC

Reactions: Leo

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I do think CJ5s are sporty, and a stocker on 31's w a 4 speed was a hoot. I romped that thing on and offroad.

But that hump on the side channels cold air onto your azz, and soft top /winter is brutal. The old heaters sucked. The floor would get hot in summer from exhaust and roast your leg/foot.
    Being black I ran a bikini top on it, as black hair and a black jeep meant my brain melted from JUne to Sept.

Milder climate and a young spine, a 2 door Jeep would be fine.

Ive suffered enough over 15 yrs in those things.
    Like I eluded to upstream, even a grocery getter w 3.5" lift and 32's is hard on my back.
    Its the getting in and out, the twisting.

Am too beat up, injury specific location......it sucks getting old.

So a longer wheelbase and 4 coils is mandatory, and minimal lift.
    Wheeling and wrenching are done for me. Can do it, but the cost after isn't worth it.

The ol lady and youngest miss my old CJs, told me to get a TJ and put it on 33's.
    They know it'd beat me up.............and they'd be the ones driving it.

I only look stupid LOL

Reactions: Leo

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Cool info on the Roxor. I had never heard of them

I always thought Jeeps were fun and rode in a lot of them, but never owned one. I even watched the window of a cuddy cabin boat smash into my side of a badly jack knifed CJ5. Big engine, big horsepower, not enough chassis to tow that big boat.
    New Jeeps were not much more money than an entry level car around 1972, about the price of a gremlin. Of course a Top, and a back seat was optional, no automatic, no air. Now they are as much as any top level premium car, I just don't get it. I would think a lot of people would like a 1/2 priced clone.

With new cars costing so much, I am surprised that we do not see more clone cars. The Mrs is going to need a car soon, I would love to be able to buy a base model slant 6, automatic 1972 Dart for her to drive grandkids around in. I am tired of beating up my hands and spending way too much time doing what used to be simple maintenance on modern V6 front wheel drive cars.

Top Bottom