• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2012
    Most who know me at all, know that I'm a traditionalist when it comes to most guns. However, I'm thinking I should own one AR. With that in mind, I started shopping Rock River Arms, figured I would get something 5.56, but came across the 6.8 and it got me thinking. I've done a search, so I apologize if this has been brought up extensively, but for some reason I came up with nothing. What are your opinions on the RRA and on the 6.8 round? I want to know more before I take the leap.
    Thanks,
    Jim

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2012
    Interesting, but not exactly what I'm looking for. What I'm asking is things like, What you think of the 6.8, it's potential longevity on the market? Opinions on RRA guns? I'm absolutely unfamiliar with black guns.............

RGriff69

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 24, 2010
    I like the 6.8. I'm currently building a pistol to use for deer hunting this summer. I built and used a 6.8 rifle a couple years back for a hog hunt. The 120 grain Hornady SST made short work of a 200 lbs boar.

RRA uses a 1-10 twist barrel where most people prefer a 1-11. There are a lot of reviews of the Rock River 6.8 on the 68forum.

There are quite a few ammo manufacturers of 6.8. Federal just released their 90 grain Gold Dot and Federal 115 grain MSR is available at Wal Mart. PSA is a good place to order ammo from if you can wait.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2012
    Ok, I looked around over there, found no RRA reviews. I'll check again. I've been looking around for ammo, and still not cheap. I'm wondering whether it may go there though.

youngda9

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    It would be much more cost effective if you are a reloader. Otherwise you wouldn't shoot it much due to ammo cost. I think it's way better than the 223 varmint caliber...unless you want it as a varmint gun, which an AR-16 is not quite accurate enough at distance, IMO.

RGriff69

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 24, 2010

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    The round has some positive attributes. There are also many drawbacks. A lot depends on what you expect from that round. If a .223 bullet will do the job you want, why have the added expense, difficulty of finding ammo, and lesser round count. If you are a reloader, the 6.8 is no more difficult to load for, but there are far fewer bullet choices and almost nothing available in bulk packs, adding to the price of reloading.

No one says it has to be one or the other, buy two or more uppers and have more than one caliber to shoot.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Most who know me at all, know that I'm a traditionalist when it comes to most guns. However, I'm thinking I should own one AR. With that in mind, I started shopping Rock River Arms, figured I would get something 5.56, but came across the 6.8 and it got me thinking. I've done a search, so I apologize if this has been brought up extensively, but for some reason I came up with nothing. What are your opinions on the RRA and on the 6.8 round? I want to know more before I take the leap.
    Thanks,
    Jim

What does the 5.56 not do well enough for your needs?

Since you can't hunt deer in indiana with the 6.8, I don't see where it would have any practical use beyond just getting it because.

5.56 is better suited to home defense and varmints you can hunt with a rifle in indiana.

SILVERBACK

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    MONROVIA
    What does the 5.56 not do well enough for your needs?

Since you can't hunt deer in indiana with the 6.8, I don't see where it would have any practical use beyond just getting it because.

5.56 is better suited to home defense and varmints you can hunt with a rifle in indiana.

You sure can out of a pistol, Larger than .243

Top Bottom