• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • guns_up

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    Danville
    I am looking to build an AR, using an RRA Lower. I'll be putting a 6 position stock and a 18 in. bull upper. I don't want to use crap parts, but what can I save money on and not worry about stoppages and jams? Thanks for input. :ar15:

loony1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 17, 2010
    Southside Indy
    Need more info. on your build op.
    -Are you building the whole rifle or just lower?
    -What is your budget?
    -What do you plan on using it for?

Parts I would not buy cheap would be:
    -BCG (bolt carrier group)
    -Barrel
    -receiver extension, buffer spring, and buffer
    -optics and BUIS (back up irons)

guns_up

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    Danville
    Basically I want to put an RRA 18 in. bull barrel upper on it. The reason I want to do this is that I want a shorter barrel for short range tactical versatility, while at the same time I like RRA bull barrel for their claimed sub MOA accuracy, in case I want to reach out and touch... I haven't decided on optics yet.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    I just put a RRA lower together with RRA lower parts kit and magpul furniture + buffer kit. I have around $340 in it right now. Plus $500 for a RRA complete upper so it'll be under $900 with a rear sight. Quality parts and it looks real nice.

GARANDGUY

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2010
    SOUTHERN INDIANA
    A bull barrel is heavy and carrying it around all day will get to you. For a tactical and accuracy aspect and an 18 inch barrel I would go with a midlength system Utilizing a 1:8 twist barrel.Most NM rifles have a 1:8 twist.Flute the barrel and it can cut down on the weight a lil bit. As far as LPKs take your pic some are better than others. The RRA 2 stage trigger is good. I run a few different triggers on my guns. I have a Wilson Combat TTU that I really like! Giselle makes a great drop in as does Timney! I have a Timney in my SBR.Have not tried out the Giselle on my rifle but my brother has one in his and its good to go. I perfer my TTU over them all with the Timney a close second and then my RRA 2stage that is on my match gun. DPMS triggers are gritty,Delton is ok and has gotten better with time,Colt was good out of the box and way better after polishing,the Daniel Defense one in my SBR build is nice too. As far as others I cannot comment.
    As far as stocks go try this one TI7STOCK.COM. I have two of them and they are great!!!!! Withstood the recoil of my 50 Beowulf no problem and they are priced very well for what it is! They make some excellent rail covers too!

Last edited:

kevinj110

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 5, 2009
    home
    RRA Lower you have
    Daniel Defense LPK $79
    Daniel Defense Lower Reciever Parts Kit
    Magpul Miad $35
    Magpul MIAD AR15/M16 Grip Kit
    Palmetto State Armory Milspec Magpul CTR kit $99
    Palmetto State Armory CTR Stock Kit

Lower is done for $213

Upper
    BCM SS410 16" Mid Length Upper Receiver Group w/ LaRue Tactical 12" Handguard 1/8
    BCM SS410™ 16" Mid Length Upper Receiver Group w/ LaRue Tactical 12" Handguard 1/8 Twist
    Twist $875
    Troy BUIS $199
    Troy BattleSight Set Micro DOA (Now Available!) | Troy Industries
    Upper total $1074

That is a great quality and more accurate than I am rifle built from good milspec parts for only $1287 plus your upper that leaves you almost 250 to put towards an optic also you can save even more if you cut out the magpul MIAD grip and the BUIS if you are just wanting to have a optic. That would make the whole gun cost only $1053 leaving almost $450 for an optic. Just my 2cents no need for a 18in bull barrel.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom