RSOs view of the world.. Training or the lack of it :)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • breakingcontact

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 7, 2018
    Southern Indiana
    What would improve the consistent topic of discussion here? (folks not knowing what they are doing with guns)

The average gun owner seems to be very cheap so they won't pay for proper training.

Does the NRA or similar offer any free instruction? (yes, I know folks would have to recognize their need first)

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    What would improve the consistent topic of discussion here? (folks not knowing what they are doing with guns)

The average gun owner seems to be very cheap so they won't pay for proper training.

Does the NRA or similar offer any free instruction? (yes, I know folks would have to recognize their need first)

Free help is as good as what you pay for it. Getting good people to donate the time required is a pipe dream.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Well I'm not big on just ridiculing people so looking for solutions.

Sent from my SM-T280 using Tapatalk

Oh I get it I really do. But in light of the new age gun owners it is hard not to be just a tad judgmental.
    If you have ever attempted to educate/inform/bring to light the need for training and got the responses many of us have it is near impossible not to be a bit, well, cynical.

I and others I have known have offered free range time and basic pistol training to new gun owners. A few have taken me up on the offer but mostly "No" was the response. So many treat a gun as a talisman or end-all to personal protection with no real idea what is actually involved. That is the real purpose of this thread. Not to just ridicule but to bring this into focus.

And yeah we do ridicule some of the idiots.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Oh I get it I really do. But in light of the new age gun owners it is hard not to be just a tad judgmental.
    If you have ever attempted to educate/inform/bring to light the need for training and got the responses many of us have it is near impossible not to be a bit, well, cynical.

I and others I have known have offered free range time and basic pistol training to new gun owners. A few have taken me up on the offer but mostly "No" was the response. So many treat a gun as a talisman or end-all to personal protection with no real idea what is actually involved. That is the real purpose of this thread. Not to just ridicule but to bring this into focus.

And yeah we do ridicule some of the idiots.
    I think it's more of the older shooters that have neglected training. The younger generation has grown up with the training schools availible starting really booming in the 90's. The gun culture has started to revolve around the training schools especialy since around 2000 and deffinately after 9/11. Sure not all know it's there but that's what Ingo and shaming is for :):

epeery

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 14, 2018
    Columbus

I'm not big into basketball and my knowledge of the rules comes from PE classes in other states over the years. My son, a born Hoosier, has never been taught those rules in an Indiana school.

Don't blame Hoosier schools, I had the same tests you described when I was in school. I believe it's been an almost universal decline between the generations, more time based than location.

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    Don't blame Hoosier schools, I had the same tests you described when I was in school. I believe it's been an almost universal decline between the generations, more time based than location.
    Yeah, 20-24 years ago I was quizzed on rules of sports we were learning. Volleyball, basketball, tennis, soccer....they must have just changed the curriculum since then.

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Yeah, 20-24 years ago I was quizzed on rules of sports we were learning. Volleyball, basketball, tennis, soccer....they must have just changed the curriculum since then.

I remember having quizzes on sports through elementary school, so up to 2002 if my memory is right. After that PE became a Pass/Fail class and things like quizzes went away.

It’s one of those things that I was taught in school that I’ve never used, right next to the Pythagorean theorem.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I'm Greenwood. Have no idea what happens at the North store. We do our best to keep a lid on things and have some very good RSOs but it's a constant battle. As I've stated before most people have a unrealistic view of their abilities is the basic problem.
    Update, asked again today if the lines on the floor were marked in feet or yards. I wish I had a really interesting answer for that without sounding arrogant but I'm still struck with how silly the question is. Honestly when the guy ask me today my first thought was someone from INGO pranking me.
    Does anyone here think that is a rational question? Also a really catchy answer for the question would be wonderful. Please INGO help me out with an answer that sounds reasonable but makes the questioner realize how silly the question is.

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member / [/FONT]Basic Pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] / RSO[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]"Under pressure, you don't rise to the occasion, you sink to the level of your training. That's why we train so hard" [/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Unnamed Navy Seal[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]“Ego is the reason many men do not shoot competition. They don't want to suck in public” [/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Aron Bright[/FONT]

At first I laughed at this and thought wow that is bad. But how do the lines look or what are their spacings? I mean I get that a yard is 3 feet, but you won't see a line at 10 feet if it's measured in yards. I suppose they are phrasing the question very poorly in their communication possibly by not asking "at what distance are the lines?" But I've never been on an indoor range with the public before, and the only one I've been in didn't have lines on the floor.

I mean to someone who doesn't know anything if you've got lines at the 3, 7, 10, 15, 20 and 25 yard lines they may wonder if it's 10, 20, 30, 45, 60, and 75 feet or who knows what. While we know firearm distances are in yards the people walking into an indoor public range handing guns the way you describe may not. But again, I haven't seen the lines to even know. Plus the way the question is being asked is not a good way of communicating the confusion, but as I said 3 yards and 10 feet are not the same but may look like so.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    At first I laughed at this and thought wow that is bad. But how do the lines look or what are their spacings? I mean I get that a yard is 3 feet, but you won't see a line at 10 feet if it's measured in yards. I suppose they are phrasing the question very poorly in their communication possibly by not asking "at what distance are the lines?" But I've never been on an indoor range with the public before, and the only one I've been in didn't have lines on the floor.

I mean to someone who doesn't know anything if you've got lines at the 3, 7, 10, 15, 20 and 25 yard lines they may wonder if it's 10, 20, 30, 45, 60, and 75 feet or who knows what. While we know firearm distances are in yards the people walking into an indoor public range handing guns the way you describe may not. But again, I haven't seen the lines to even know. Plus the way the question is being asked is not a good way of communicating the confusion, but as I said 3 yards and 10 feet are not the same but may look like so.

The lines are clearly marked "3, 5, 7, 10, 15, 25." Just like that, with a number but no unit.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    The lines are clearly marked "3, 5, 7, 10, 15, 25." Just like that, with a number but no unit.

Well in that case that is really bad! If you can't tell the difference between 3 feet and 3 yards or 10 feet and 10 yards etc. that is just awful... I was really thinking people had to be smarter than that! I see why OP was making a big deal out of it now hahahahaha

thoroughbred

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Jun 27, 2011
    My houseboat on Lake Michigan
    I cannot believe no one has brought up the location in Merrillville/NWI...I try to avoid indoor ranges, but go on bitter cold days every now and then. This last winter I witnessed some guy try to twirl his lever action like the 1887 Arnold uses in T2...always keep my head on a swivel at ranges especially crowded indoor and will usually get out quick when I see reckless behavior.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Due to the number of, er, untrained individuals, I find that my favorite time to go to Point Blank is the first thing Saturday morning. Usually not as crowded as it gets later. Also mid-day during the week, but I'm not able to do that as often.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Great story from today.. One of the range counter associates told me a guy returned a rental Glock and when it was locked open he noticed that the barrel was angled upwards. Commented "that must be the reason I couldn't hit anything, the barrel is bent". :lmfao:

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member / [/FONT]Basic Pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] / RSO[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]"Under pressure, you don't rise to the occasion, you sink to the level of your training. That's why we train so hard" [/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Unnamed Navy Seal[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]“Ego is the reason many men do not shoot competition. They don't want to suck in public” [/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Aron Bright[/FONT]

Top Bottom