RSOs view of the world.. Training or the lack of it :)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • INPoolPlayer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2017
    NOBLESVILLE
    This thread is amazing, and scares the crap out of me considering I shoot mostly at an indoor public range. I mean us pool players have similar threads on pool forums about funny stuff bangers/newbs do in poolrooms, but that stuff (searching a non-coin op table for quarter slots is a personal fave) won't get you dead.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Latest from the "far side"(reference some of you won't get). :)
    Watching 2 guys shooting ARs off of a rest @5 yards and congratulating each other on their groups. After a few minutes one said to the other "lets run it on out" finished shooting @ 7 yards, at least 100 rounds. While this comedy was playing guy comes in with a 2" polymer Taurus Judge/ S&W governor, not sure which. He has a blue and white target with different size circles and squares, runs the target to 25 yards and starts firing (missing the paper for the most part). When he retrieved his target he looked at me and said "I hit it about 20% of the time and I think that's good enough. I don't want to kill anyone, that's why I don't shoot at a target shaped like a man." :scratch:That was Thursday.
    I thought it was an anomaly but it happened again today. We use binder clips to hold the target. Guy hands me one today with one of the wires shot off and said "I need another clip, this one won't open" :rofl: Even the most vivid imagination could not come up with what I see.

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member / [/FONT]Basic Pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] / RSO[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]"Under pressure, you don't rise to the occasion, you sink to the level of your training. That's why we train so hard" [/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Unnamed Navy Seal[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]“Ego is the reason many men do not shoot competition. They don't want to suck in public” [/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Aron Bright[/FONT]

Last edited:

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    If you don't want to kill anyone, maybe a gun is not for you.

Then again, I don't want to kill anyone, either.
    But if I have to, I want to make sure I kill the person I'm aiming at, and not the 5 bystanders.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    At 7 yards were they at least clover leafing the target?

Maybe they needed more magnification.

Again this is one of the reasons I like shooting at a small private range. I see some wackos but rarely, and I have plenty of space to hide from them.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I think it's funny when guys with rifles cover the entire target at 25 yards.

Dude! You can throw a rock that far that accurate.

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia

And god forbid suggest that they might want to spend a few bucks on professional instruction. After all they should have a few bucks left over for the money they saved on their 3rd world semi blaster with steel cased Honduras ammo and a Bulgarian scope. Not to worry though I heard it was bore sighted at the gunshow......no need to test that.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County

Funny side note. I have a pond directly behind my present house. Like 20 feet away. Some geese wanted to play there and I was not having it. I usually toss a rock close by and they fly off. Well this time I get a nice little rock and pull back to give it the old heave ho and it lands maybe five foot in front of me.

I swear the geese laughed as they swam around. Since it is illegal to shoot them I got a can of air and scared them off that way.

But five feet? Come on man...

Last edited:

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Funny side note. I have a pond directly behind my present house. Like 20 feet away. Some geese wanted to play there and I was not having it. I usually toss a rock close by and they fly off. Well this time I get a nice little rock and pull back to give it the old heave ho and it lands maybe five foot in front of me.

I swear the geese laughed as the swam around. Since it is illegal to shoot them I got a can of air and scared them off that way.

:D

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

I swear the geese laughed as they swam around. Since it is illegal to shoot them I got a can of air and scared them off that way.

Man I feel you. I hurt my right shoulder multiple times in this life. Now I can not get a snowball out much past 10ft.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    At 7 yards were they at least clover leafing the target?

Maybe they needed more magnification.

Again this is one of the reasons I like shooting at a small private range. I see some wackos but rarely, and I have plenty of space to hide from them.
    I took a pic of their target but I can guarantee that I can shoot better groups with my pistol than they were shooting with the ARs. So sad but amusing at the same time.

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member / [/FONT]Basic Pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] / RSO[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]"Under pressure, you don't rise to the occasion, you sink to the level of your training. That's why we train so hard" [/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]“Ego is the reason many men do not shoot competition. They don't want to suck in public” [/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]

harleymac1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 19, 2013
    Morgan County
    Man I missed updates to this thread. Thanks NHT3. Since it has been so long since your last post does that mean the shooters are getting better? Ah, stupid question right?

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Man I missed updates to this thread. Thanks NHT3. Since it has been so long since your last post does that mean the shooters are getting better? Ah, stupid question right?
    Yes, inane question:laugh:. Funny you should use the word stupid. I was chastised for saying a customer was acting stupid and then following it up with calling him stupid. The stupid comments came about in the process of removing several utes from the range and the premises. They were obviously impaired in some way and my guess would be something green and leafy. I've come up with several replacements for stupid that I doubt folks with a limited vocabulary will understand what I'm saying so they won't get distressed.
    New sights from the range. Second time in a few months that a shooter has handed me a binder clip with one of the wires missing. Didn't realize that one of the wires were shot off but told me it just wouldn't open. I know that doesn't sound possible but my imagination is not vivid enough to make this stuff up.
    Had a guy teaching what appeared to be his mother to shoot a pistol. @ 5 yards she was hitting at least 2 feet low and probably a foot left of where she was aiming and he was complimenting her on her group. Anyone shooting at ANY range should take a little time after you finish shooting. Hang around, watch and listen, you will be shocked at what you hear and see but it's also very amusing at times. :)

[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]

Last edited:

harleymac1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 19, 2013
    Morgan County
    I love it! If you are stupid you should just wear it. I continue to be on my best behavior and very conscious of my every move while you are there so my picture does not get featured on this thread. LOL

USMC Veteran / Lifetime LTCH / Lifetime NRA Member

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Two rental customers having obviously never handled a pistol before. One on the firing line holding a EZ380 in her hand asked the other "where do I hit it, what button do I push to make it go?":ugh: I suggested classes or private lessons. Lady on the firing line agreed but the other lady said we don't need a class, we just want to shoot.

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member / [/FONT]Basic Pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] / RSO[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]"Under pressure, you don't rise to the occasion, you sink to the level of your training. That's why we train so hard" [/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]Unnamed Navy Seal[/FONT]

“Ego is the reason many men do not shoot competition. They don't want to suck in public”

[FONT=&amp]Aron Bright[/FONT]

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Two rental customers having obviously never handled a pistol before. One on the firing line holding a EZ380 in her hand asked the other "where do I hit it, what button do I push to make it go?":ugh: I suggested classes or private lessons. Lady on the firing line agreed but the other lady said we don't need a class, we just want to shoot.

[FONT=&]NRA Life Member / [/FONT]Basic Pistol instructor[FONT=&] / RSO[/FONT]

[FONT=&]"Under pressure, you don't rise to the occasion, you sink to the level of your training. That's why we train so hard" [/FONT]
    [FONT=&]Unnamed Navy Seal[/FONT]

“Ego is the reason many men do not shoot competition. They don't want to suck in public”

[FONT=&]Aron Bright[/FONT]

:faint:

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    I hope that you either get paid a lot for your time, or that you are writing a best seller from what you have seen.
    Neither:rolleyes: I enjoy what I'm doing in the range (most days) and teaching is really rewarding. I told the boss when I started I wasn't there for the money and when I stopped enjoying my time there I would be gone.
    PS.. It would never be a best seller unless you labeled it fiction. I don't share much of what I see because you wouldn't believe it without pictures.

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member / [/FONT]Basic Pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] / RSO[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]"Under pressure, you don't rise to the occasion, you sink to the level of your training. That's why we train so hard" [/FONT]

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Neither:rolleyes: I enjoy what I'm doing in the range (most days) and teaching is really rewarding. I told the boss when I started I wasn't there for the money and when I stopped enjoying my time there I would be gone.
    PS.. It would never be a best seller unless you labeled it fiction. I don't share much of what I see because you wouldn't believe it without pictures.

[FONT=&]NRA Life Member / [/FONT]Basic Pistol instructor[FONT=&] / RSO[/FONT]

[FONT=&]"Under pressure, you don't rise to the occasion, you sink to the level of your training. That's why we train so hard" [/FONT]
    [FONT=&]Unnamed Navy Seal[/FONT]

[FONT=&]Aron Bright[/FONT]

Yes. Yes I would.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Latest amusement. AT&T phone store security guard practicing point shooting from the waist.. Probably 50 rounds in had a "jam" he couldn't clear. After examination I determined there was a bullet stuck in the barrel fortunately shallow enough that he could not chamber another round although he was trying. :dunno: Pretty obvious the only propellant was a primer. Shooting hollow points so I asked him what brand of ammo it was. Pulled out a plastic bag with a sticker on it, gun show reloads. He said "I thought I would save a few dollars on my carry ammo." :ugh:

I have come to the conclusion that 90% of .556 fired is at a target that is 10 yards or less down range and estimate the average number of shots by this group of snipers is at least 100 rounds.

Guy shoots 30-40 rounds and gets to tired he has to change his grip so he can use BOTH index fingers to pull the trigger. I have photographic proof but will not post to avoid embarrassment.

Blind leading blind training again. "Carry your pistol without a round in the chamber and learn to chamber a round during the draw. Safest way to carry and all the the Israeli's do it that way so it must be the most efficient draw stroke in the world.

I see and hear so much more but if I wrote down everything that amused me I wouldn't have time to keep muzzles pointed down range.

PS. I have vid of the "where do I hit it, what button do I push to make it go couple". I won't post but if you see me at the carry match or somewhere else and want to see it I don't mind sharing it and it is hilarious. :)

Last edited:
    Top Bottom