• ...and so much more!
  • doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Really listen to their guidance on not bending hip too far. I pop them back in all the time :):

1. WHAT!!! Now that will make me behave myself. :crying:

Had my right hip replaced in July, 2012 at age 66. The surgeon wanted to do both hips then but I opted out of the double. I was told the surgery went well even though it looked like they'd hit me with an axe. Nurse nearly had a seizure when she found out I had gone to the bathroom by myself the day after they removed the catheter. Now there's a treat! I tried to get off the hard pain meds ASAP and was scolded by the surgeon. He said he wanted me on meds strong enough that pain wouldn't prevent me from doing the rehab. Rehab went well, I quickly got to where OTC pain meds did the job, and I was back to 100% within' a year. Despite all the printed warnings about running and jumping, they told me I could do what I felt like doing. 18 months ago, I had more x-rays taken because the left one was causing increased discomfort. They told me I should quit playing softball and to come back when I don't want to deal with the pain any longer. Softball went away and golf increased. There's no running in golf, ya' know! At this point, if it doesn't get worse, I'll never have the left one done.

2. I was supposed to get this done 2 yrs. ago (bone on bone) but I opted to wait b/c it wasn't "convenient."
    3. 2 yrs. later nearly to the hour (:laugh:) I was back in the office scheduling this surgery.
    4. I can't fathom doing both at the same time. :ugh:

I'm doubling-down on hoosierdoc's advice about the bending. I'm sure they'll tell you to not cross your legs, also. That foam block strapped between your legs at night isn't all that bad. We put my recliner up on blocks and got a toilet seat riser to avoid the 90 degree bend. One of our bathrooms was already set up for my mom with grab bars, etc. It's become my bathroom. Do the rehab. Do the rehab. DO THE REHAB!

5. I am sold on the rehab. Just did my am one, and it was soo hard, but I embraced my pain and kept pushing it.
    6. I left at 3x the speed going back to my room that I went in to Rehab.
    7. Can't wait to go back this pm, then DISCHARGE.

Nice that you came through well. Like other's have said, follow the orders! Don't try to be all tough and ignore what the therapists tell you to do. You will recover much better. Pain meds have never done well with me. For me if the pain is really severe that it affects my recovery I would take them, but fortunately for me I have only had to take them for maybe the first day or two max. After that the pain is manageable.
    However, I have not had any parts replaced so I wouldn't know how that would feel.
    Have a quick recovery, rest up, gain strength and get ready for round 2!

8. I do not take pain pills (unless in the hospital).
    9. When I had a cancerous kidney tumor removed 2-3 yrs. ago, to prove I was a man I stopped taking my pain pills, but learned that the pain will come back at you and is worse to get back under control.

Good to hear all went well. Heal quickly...the range is waiting.

10. I told the wife I expected to be back at the range by next week (I can always lean against the wall. :rockwoot:

Heal fast and hopefully your back on track soon. Blessings. Tim

11. Appreciate it!

Just don't do what my step-mother did. Months after getting both done, she jumped from the dock onto a fishing trawler in Trieste, Slovenia, landed wrong and buggered her hip but good.

12. No Jumping for me!

Last edited:

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Best wishes for you, doddg. Once you heal up you will be surprised how good you feel. I had a Birmingham procedure on my right hip, which is easier on the body than the traditional procedure. I did the rehab with great diligence, but the right leg still has not recovered the strength nor the articulation I had previously. I have accepted the fact that replacement parts just are not as good as the original. But since I can still run if I desire, and that was what wore out the cartilage in the first place, I am very happy with the after-market replacement part. It is a delight to be able to walk without that intense bone-on-bone pain.

Heal up! Load up! Then, light up the range!

eric001

Vaguely well-known member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Heal up as best you can--which means doing the PT/rehab faithfully and often. Might be a literal pain in the ass, but it'll be worth it.

The range will be there whenever you're truly up to it, without pushing yourself and causing troubles for the hip. And I'll be happy to share a lane or two with you when you're ready!

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Doddg, sounds like you could be doing some dry fire training. You can borrow my SiRT for a week or two if you like. It's fun to dry fire at the bad guys while watching TV.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Best wishes for you, doddg. Once you heal up you will be surprised how good you feel. I had a Birmingham procedure on my right hip, which is easier on the body than the traditional procedure. I did the rehab with great diligence, but the right leg still has not recovered the strength nor the articulation I had previously. I have accepted the fact that replacement parts just are not as good as the original. But since I can still run if I desire, and that was what wore out the cartilage in the first place, I am very happy with the after-market replacement part. It is a delight to be able to walk without that intense bone-on-bone pain.

1. Looking forward to driving the car w/o groin aching and just walking with the wife.

Heal up! Load up! Then, light up the range!

2. That is my intention since I'm on vacation and I can hang out at the range till they through me out!
    3. I used to pay $35/mo. at Point Blank Range in Greenwood ( and in Carmel when I lived up there), but I found a $12.50/mo. range much closer and with better traffic to get to at Indy Gun Bunker at Washington/Post. Only 6 lanes but I go after work and avoid the weekend. Even though there is only 6 lanes since I go on off-hours I can stay as long as I like, which is usually 1.5 - 2 hrs., but while on vacation I would try to stay for 3 hrs. if my hip will let me.

Heal up as best you can--which means doing the PT/rehab faithfully and often. Might be a literal pain in the ass, but it'll be worth it.

4. This is my 3rd day, and I was told it would be the worst, and it is. :crying:
    5. I have been crabby with my dear wife (yes, I've apologized 7 times and counting). :ugh:
    6. I was told rehab is when the real pain will come! :(
    7. We forgot to take the trash container out last night, and so I took it out an inch at a time with my walker, pulling the trash behind me. It would have been funny for a neighbor to see it. :laugh: The garage door must have wakened my wife b/c she came out, and she was not a happy camper, but I told her I was just trying to prove I was a man. :rockwoot: She was not impressed and was not pleased.

The range will be there whenever you're truly up to it, without pushing yourself and causing troubles for the hip. And I'll be happy to share a lane or two with you when you're ready!

8. I so appreciate you saying that! I wrote your name down in my planner so I wouldn't lose track!
    9. I have been told you need to push it as long as you don't do any 90*+ bending , twisting or crossing of the legs/feet, which I haven't crossed my legs/feet in a decade b/c of my arthritis.

Doddg, sounds like you could be doing some dry fire training. You can borrow my SiRT for a week or two if you like. It's fun to dry fire at the bad guys while watching TV.

10. I had to look that up since I didn't know what SIRT was, but it does sound interesting.

Glad to hear all went well. You'll be dancing a jig soon!! I think you should buy a new firearm to celebrate your new hip!

11. I would settle for being able to get out of my chair and to take a **** w/o pain. :wallbash:

target64

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    West Side
    Lol, I made a few nurses jumpy after I tried to go to the toilet unattended. They have alarms on the beds, just for those occasions.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Lol, I made a few nurses jumpy after I tried to go to the toilet unattended. They have alarms on the beds, just for those occasions.

1. I can't imagine having a reason to go to the tiolet unattended: my urinal was my friend :laugh6: (I use one every night b/c of other medical issues).
    2. I didn't have a BM until 3.5 days b/c of surgery, so that wasn't an issue (that would have been motivation). :poop:

I swear you guys want me to have to pop your hips back in :rofl:

3. Not me! I will be good and follow directions: the worst is not breaking the 90* angle. :crying:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Don’t bend over for the bottom shelf in the fridge either, that’s a sneaky rule breaker

1. Fortunately I don't have a big appetite yet, but my weight is 8-10# higher than when I went into the hospital and it really hacks me off.
    2. I keep waiting for it to start going down b/c of the fluids and everything they pump in you; it took me years of talking about it to get my weight to stay down under #230 and I don't appreciate it going up to 233 w/o eating the benefits. :laugh:
    3. I expected to come home with my weight under 220# (achieved only with great denial) since I hadn't been eating much.

Glad to hear all went well. You'll be dancing a jig soon!! I think you should buy a new firearm to celebrate your new hip!

4. I didn't catch your remark about buying a new firearm the first round (I've been blaming the drugs, which I quit taking 24 hours ago, until therapy starts), and I do look every day for the right Buck Mark and/or a Ruger 4 Target pistol (I want heavy with a big barrel).
    5. I actually have a deal going with someone who I have bought off before who says he's in no hurry and can wait on me who has a Ruger 4 Target.
    6. Yes, I think buying (or selling) would assuage my pain. :laugh:

7. I have no idea. :dunno: :ugh:

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    1. Fortunately I don't have a big appetite yet, but my weight is 8-10# higher than when I went into the hospital and it really hacks me off.
    2. I keep waiting for it to start going down b/c of the fluids and everything they pump in you; it took me years of talking about it to get my weight to stay down under #230 and I don't appreciate it going up to 233 w/o eating the benefits. :laugh:
    3. I expected to come home with my weight under 220# (achieved only with great denial) since I hadn't been eating much.

4. I didn't catch your remark about buying a new firearm the first round (I've been blaming the drugs, which I quit taking 24 hours ago, until therapy starts), and I do look every day for the right Buck Mark and/or a Ruger 4 Target pistol (I want heavy with a big barrel).
    5. I actually have a deal going with someone who I have bought off before who says he's in no hurry and can wait on me who has a Ruger 4 Target.
    6. Yes, I think buying (or selling) would assuage my pain. :laugh:

7. I have no idea. :dunno: :ugh:

FIFY = Fixed It For Ya (in reference to the post I was quoting) :stickpoke:

"Glad to hear all went well. You'll be dancing a jig soon!! I think you should buy a new firearm, agonize over it for a couple of weeks, then sell it to celebrate your new hip!"

I added the bold red part to his original post. ;)

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    OK, after receiving Glenda's admonition (sister of long-time best friend, I received a scolding from
    Larry Mitchell that only a dearly loved friend of a century can give you,
    and after fighting him about it on the phone while I was out getting some sun in a chair,
    on the way back into the house,
    in my weakened condition of my resolve to live with the pain
    I made up my mind I'd had enough and came it and took 1 (hospital gave me 2 every 4 hrs., which would explain my sunny disposition),
    and I think it was the first time I'd seen Carol smile (just kidding) since I got off my meds.
    This was my first pain med in 26 hrs. so perhaps I did cut it off too early being only 24 hrs. getting home from the hospital when I did that, ha!
    I told Carol I would take one before she got up tomorrow so I wouldn't be raising my voice to her when she tries helping me put on my orthopedic surgical appliance (don't want to say "hose,") b/c of an ongoing medical issue with the other leg.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    We actually used to have a discharge instruction sheet that detailed safe sexual positions after hip replacement surgery. I looked the other day and it was removed from the list :(

90 degree bends eliminates several pages of the Kama sutra :):

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    We actually used to have a discharge instruction sheet that detailed safe sexual positions after hip replacement surgery. I looked the other day and it was removed from the list :(
    90 degree bends eliminates several pages of the Kama sutra :):

1. That's soo funny!
    2. When I was in a room doing pre-op training I was the youngling of the 10 people getting the surgery the next week, and I raised my hand when they asked if there was any questions and asked how soon could you start having sex again: made the nurses day and I'm sure the story will be told. :laugh:
    3. She told me there were some instructions available.
    4. When I mentioned it to my surgeon, he said he'd put the info in my discharge papers, and as I went through them at home I had to laugh b/c it had diagrams.
    5. I told my wife I was all talk and she had nothing to worry about from me for awhile since I can't even hardly get out of my chair and get to the bathroom.
    6. I did tell her which of the positions shown seemed to be the most viable. :rofl:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Last night from 10pm till 5:30 am I had a medical issue going on that kept me "bottled up" and to add insult to injury I could not even urinate for 8-10 hrs. which was more painful than the hip. :wallbash:
    I walked and walked :fogey: and took different items to assist to no avail until about 4 am.
    I was apprehensive I was going to have to go the emergency room in the am for them to do whatever they do in such circumstances.

The swelling in my right surgery leg has gotten worse over the last 2 days: strange.
    I keep waiting for the fluids to go down, but the Home Healthcare Nurse tomorrow can deal with it.

My weight has been 8#s higher when I got home from the hospital and keeps going up to to 11#s higher: strange again.
    Fluid retention, but I thought I'd start to go back in the right direction instead of continuing gaining.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    This is getting old; I'm impatient to be further down the road with this pain thing.
    After getting off pain pills for 1 day after being home for only 2 days: I learned my lesson and started taking 2/day.
    Today I took 3, but just got out of bed to take another b/c I couldn't sleep, so I took a pain pill about every 4 hrs. and haven't taken one before bed before.
    I'm becoming a girly-man before my eyes. :laugh:

The usual to-be-expected slight depression, especially in the am when I get up around 6ish, which is totally counter to my usual natural disposition is present, and my zeal for the next tomorrow when going to bed has waned since I can't have my freedom.

I told the wife once the PT person approves my getting into a car, she's going to have to take me here and there: a Sams Club outing sounds like a vacation at this point.
    I was told I couldn't drive for 6 weeks, but I hope to do that in 2, but the wife will probably hide the car keys.
    I know I can't drive the low roadster with a clutch (Honda S2000), but the Corolla should be doable.

I really can't wait to be able to use a cane to go to the range for a distraction, even if I could only last 30 minutes or even less.

Been reading a really good book and started watching "Madame Secretary" Season One that my son got my for Father's Day (tradition of gifts of DVD series).
    I don't last long, my concentration is limited.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    How is the swelling in that leg?

1. Very observant. :coffee:
    2. Thanks for asking: I was very concerned about it a couple of days ago.
    3. After the swelling getting worse I started measuring it so I would have something more definitive to tell the nurse rather than: it's more swollen.
    4. In the middle of the 2nd night where it had become more pronounced all of a sudden in additional swelling, my volume of "liquid discharge" became 1/2 gallon instead of the usual pint - quart. (I charge loss of liquids at night due to "normal" left leg (non-surgical) swelling due to lymphatic issues.
    5. And, the scales were 2#s lighter the next am so I was relieved that my body was shedding excess fluid.
    6. My overall weight is still up 7#s from before surgery, but that is better than 10#s.

Top Bottom