• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MohawkSlim

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2015
    15th Street, Bedford
    I've put together a Ruck March & Bug Out Bag Clinic for Nov. 01 at 2:00 PM in Bedford.

We're going to have a family-friendly hike (4-5 miles) through the woods on the Milwaukee Trail. This will give folks the opportunity to see what it's like to carry all, some, or none of their gear. We'll also have a few extra bags and gear for people to check out and try on, etc. This isn't a competition, there's no real objective other than to "see what it's like" and we're only going to be out there for a few hours. Should be a beautiful hike and a chance to get to meet some like-minded folks in the Bedford area while gaining some insight on different bags and survival/prepping gear like fire starters, water filters, etc.

Working on sponsors right now but it's going to be pretty informal since this is our first official event. (Hoping to get a semi-annual, quarterly, monthly type thing going where we'll work on compass reading, use of terrain, small team tactics, etc.) Basically, just throw on a backpack and walk down an easy trail for an hour or so, stop for hydration, snacks and a Q&A session with military vets, Scouts, etc., and then we'll take it back to the cars and go home.

Check out the event page and RSVP! - https://www.facebook.com/events/163349144011783/

MohawkSlim

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2015
    15th Street, Bedford
    What's the deal with open carry of long guns while rucking?
    Excellent question and I'm not surprised it's the first one asked. My personal feelings are you're an American and you should carry a long gun with you everywhere you go - especially when you're carrying a rucksack full of gear. However, since we live in 2015 and many folks have forgotten what it's like to be an American and guns are scary, we probably won't encourage the open carry of long guns during the event.

At this time I haven't determined exactly where we're going to begin/end the event. The issue with the trail is there are very few places to park motorized vehicles. As we get closer to the event and more people RSVP it's looking like we're going to have to park in the parking lots or public streets near the school and national guard armory. As you can gather, that might be more than just scary; it might be illegal.

I'll keep this thread updated on the details of the event as soon as they're solidified. Right now I'm lining up a couple sponsors and once we can get a good head count, the start/end point will be posted. I appreciate any input you folks have. I'm new to Bedford (and Indiana) so, by all means, if you have a good suggestion I'm all ears.

joe138

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Lawrence County
    There is plenty of parking at the U street entrance to the trail. It is just under 5 miles from U street to Coxton Road so nearly a 10 mile round trip.

MohawkSlim

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2015
    15th Street, Bedford
    There is plenty of parking at the U street entrance to the trail. It is just under 5 miles from U street to Coxton Road so nearly a 10 mile round trip.
    Thanks for the tip. I checked on that one and the majority of the parking there is in private lots or on private drives. Along the trail and on the public roads there's room for maybe 6 vehicles. At present, we're going to have about a dozen vehicles and could have a few more as we get RSVPs.

I scouted out the Wilson Park area tonight and I think that's where we're going to do it. It's a little more challenging to access the trail there too. Hills and stuff! (Well, really small hills, but still... hills!) Plus we'll have a good area to rally up and go over some info, test out different bags, gear and kit. I really want this first one to be very open and friendly to the public. This one has to be waaay more backpacker and way less militia.

Anyone in the area please feel free to join us or recommend this event to your friends!

lester

Sharpshooter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    Greencastle
    The pipe needs some sling mounts...

My opinion is that if you are carrying the weighted bar for PT, while one would be practicing for ruck marches, sling mounts are counter productive. Carry it with your arms. That's the purpose of having it.

I bought one, and I bought it at a weight greater than any of my carbines. It will wear you out.

My oldest son, who thinks he is Chuck Norris, has this idea that he wants to be a machine gunner after he enlists. I thought about buying the 25 lb bar and making that knuckle head drag it around for a while. But I think I'll just let him figure out that machine guns are heavy all by himself, the hard way... ;)

MohawkSlim

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2015
    15th Street, Bedford
    I thought about buying the 25 lb bar and making that knuckle head drag it around for a while. But I think I'll just let him figure out that machine guns are heavy all by himself, the hard way... ;)
    The only problem with that is he probably won't notice until he's 30-something. I remember old sarge yelling at me for clearing buildings with my M-60. "What the #$%& are you doing in here with that thing? Get outside and set up on the corner."

*** UPDATE ***
    Location and route has been set. We'll be meeting at Wilson Park (adjacent to the ball diamond) and then walking behind the Armory and down the trail to the I-37 overpass. We'll take a short rest/reflection break there and then hoof it back to conclude the event. Should be appx. 4 miles and the entire event should be done no later than 5:00 PM.

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    Great program today Slim!

Lots of folks, lots of information presented, good camaraderie and awesome swag donated by A&A Optics and a local print shop (Slim, help me with their name please).

Great way to spend an afternoon and I am really looking forward to the orienteering class!

MohawkSlim

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2015
    15th Street, Bedford
    Upside Prints is the name of the local shop. USMC vet who just opened up a storefront in downtown Bedford.

Thanks to all who came out. We had two dozen walk the trail with loads ranging from nothing at all to big heavy packs. We're hoping to have a few more clinics over the winter and topics include orienteering, fire starting, shelter building, etc. It'll be up to the group to determine the content. Hopefully too we'll find some qualified instructors to host more clinics.

I'll do my best to update here on INGO. We have the facebook group going now too so if anyone is interested in that just click the link above or shoot me a PM.

Top Bottom