• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • brogers261990

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2016
    Flora
    Hey folks, I'm looking to invest in a Ruger 10/22 in the near future and have a question I am looking for some help on. I've got the choice between the standard 10/22 or the takedown model. While I do like the takedown model, is there any chance that my accuracy could be compromised by having a barrel that is designed to come off / back on readily? I know that to an extent, barrels are designed to be able to be changed out, but I haven't heard much feedback on any differences in performance between models.

EvilElmo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Dearborn Co.
    No comment on the accuracy because I have no experience with the takedown model, but one thing to consider is what kind of customization you want to do to the rifle. I haven't done any research personally but I would think your stock options are far fewer with the takedown model, for example.

Last edited:

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    If you search the forums, you'll find plenty of discussion about this very topic.

In a nutshell, there's no loss of zero or accuracy with a Ruger 10/22 takedown for field shooting and plinking. If you're a bulls-eye shooter ... well ... you won't be satisfied with the results.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Jeffersonville
    I have a takedown, and love it.

EvilElmo has a good point - the stock being unique from the standard 10/22 does alter your options. I have seen people cut many stocks to fit however, and I believe the Hogue overmolded is now offered for the takedown also.

As far as accuracy goes, mine has been a tack driver. I have not performed a scientific comparision between the takedown and a standard or bull barrel 10/22, and I would not be surprised if there were slight differences from a lead sled - but compared to the 10/22 I had as a kid, I "feel" it is no less accurate.

I think if you are going to be shooting it competitively, a bull barrel and custom trigger/stock would likely be the natural choice. For purposes like mine - plinking / backpacking - I think the takedown is the natural choice, with the downside being the higher cost (considering you pay a significant premium for the takedown option).

medcoxo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 20, 2010
    Indy, Westside
    Barrel stock options are fewer on the takedown, but any other options upgrades work on both. Out of the box, they are the same, but once you start adding barrels and stocks, then the standard comes out on top.

Thegeek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Takedown is a novelty unless you actually need to break it down and transport. Other than limiting choices for aftermarket stocks, there's no real drawback. But a 10/22 is lot like an AR. Once you get one, you start customizing.....

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I have had several 10-22's over the years. The best shooting and most accurate was the K10-22T which is their bull target model. It has a better trigger, stock, and barrel. Like others have stated above, the standard is a great choice for hunting and general light target plinking. If you want to get serious and even do some hunting the bull is the ticket. I also wouldn't consider a take down unless I absolutely needed that feature. I think it would rob some accuracy and be a pain to deal with.

Pretty much done with 22LR overall. If I was to get another 10-22 it would be Magnum Research 10-22 magnum although 900 bucks for a rim fire isn't going to happen.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I've got a 22 take down and as far as I can tell it shoots just as well as any other 10/22 out of the box. I may buy a second threaded one and it may not be a take down but only because for the most part I don't need the take down feature unless I'm throwing it in the car to go somewhere.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    10/22 and investement............don't really go together unless you buy an old sporter, international or standard of very low serial #.
    Heard clean fingergrooves are getting 400-500.
    Saw a checkered (factory) fingergroove fetch 1150 recently, no box or papers (was used but not mint).

Last edited:

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Best looking IMHO is the Holy Grail of 10/22s.............'66-'71 sporter, factory checkered (IIRC reportedly a $20 option back then). Some had nicely figured stocks. Heard that Workman's book says 535 made but may not be all inclusive, so experts say maybe around 550 or so.

XxtfuE4.jpg

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I own several 10-22 rifles. One is a takedown. None are smallbore bullseye accurate. Not even the heavy barrel custom stock job that is cool but not up to the standard.

All of my 10-22's are capable of emptying the brain bucket of a squirrel. Including the take down.

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    I have a takedown model, and previously owned a standard. I have not seen any distinguishable difference in accuracy.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I might yet buy an old '75 model found at a shop...........bit might .920 it with a blued fluted and slap it in desert camo stock.
    Really like the Anschtutz silhouette style stocks.
    Could get expen$ive...............like the crap in my safe that doesn't get used needs more company.

ruger1800

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    Indiana
    10/22 can't be beat for what it is, don't use my for small game since their not accurate enough at extended ranges, Cz 452 perfect for head shots to 60 yards.

Top Bottom