• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    Is that what you call pray and spray. Hit the "1" X ring" at 100 with one shot, Ain't going to happen. Too many factors involved, wind speed, wind direction, bullet drop and Old Mr. Wiggle.

I recently read an article to Zero a .22, 3" high at 25 yards to hit the X at 100 yards. That didn't work for me either. too much wind.

I stay with in the 50 tp 75 yards suggested by the manufacturer and enjoy hitting my target every shot.

I never said you could headshot a gnat at 100 yards, you have to be reasonable in your accuracy goals. For me its about 3-4 inches with my 597 and a 4x scope. Bulk Federal high velocity ammo.

indyk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Alpha site
    Im a 597 fan, Im also a 10/22 fan.
    I had some issues in the beginning with my 597,
    outta the box FTF's, hole in my carrier, POS mags, 10lb trigger pull, mags that wouldn't feed, etc,
    Since ive polished the guide rods, lubricated parts properly, installed a polished volquartsen target hammer, and extractor, harris bi-pod and new mags this thing is one hell of a rifle, at the fraction of the cost of upgraded 10/22 or 1900 series Anshutz.

Im getting amazing groups with mine. I can send the rounds far downrange as well as half inch groups and tighter at 50 -75.
    Ive been slowly turning it into a really nice target rifle, Im ordering the Boyds target stock as well as better optics, It came with a heaver bull barrel so no barrel upgrade is needed.:yesway:

Check out these 50-75 yard shots from last week, Ive now installed the Volquartsen Target hammer and extractor. I can expect even tighter groups.

The area circled is my targets, after I moved the target to the 70 yard mark I adjusted the optic, at target 2,3,4 you can see im sighted in and grouping consistanly with 3 shots per each target. all shots grouping tight and acceptable;)

ooops its sideways:n00b: forgive me
    IMAG0369.jpg

I love my 597, Im going to like it more with the new Boys heavy target stock:ar15:
    159.jpg

here's my 597 I got It on a whim and a deal, I had everything cerami- coated in matt black.
    IMAG0370.jpg

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    10/22 all the way, esp if an older model with alloy trigger housing.
    As for the short standard stock, dunno if mentioned, but there is a "recoil pad" replacement that adds an inch.
    Midway has it listed at 14 bucks.

425407.jpg

Roscoe38

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    I never said you could headshot a gnat at 100 yards, you have to be reasonable in your accuracy goals. For me its about 3-4 inches with my 597 and a 4x scope. Bulk Federal high velocity ammo.

"Nuff sed" Have a good one. It's been fun chatting with you.

1942 K98

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2011
    Shelbytucky
    Have to agree with stack23, the Ruger is a good inexpensive gun that can be upgraded. We started with one and I still use it when i want to plink and dont want to spend a lot or kill my shoulder.

Christian

Patriot3

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 11, 2012
    Kokomo
    Go with the Ruger 10/22, you will not be disappointed in what you get. And the accessories that you can attach to it is endless

Enfieldno4mk1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 27, 2012
    Shelbyville
    My vote is for the Ruger 10/22. The first gun I owned and still like to plink with it any chance I get. It is extremely reliable and I added the 25 round mag.

backfire

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 6, 2011
    I had some issues in the beginning with my 597,
    outta the box FTF's, hole in my carrier, POS mags, 10lb trigger pull, mags that wouldn't feed, etc,
    Since ive polished the guide rods, lubricated parts properly, installed a polished volquartsen target hammer, and extractor, harris bi-pod and new mags this thing is one hell of a rifle, at the fraction of the cost of upgraded 10/22 or 1900 series Anshutz.

Im getting amazing groups with mine. I can send the rounds far downrange as well as half inch groups and tighter at 50 -75.
    Ive been slowly turning it into a really nice target rifle, Im ordering the Boyds target stock as well as better optics, It came with a heaver bull barrel so no barrel upgrade is needed.:yesway:

Check out these 50-75 yard shots from last week, Ive now installed the Volquartsen Target hammer and extractor. I can expect even tighter groups.

The area circled is my targets, after I moved the target to the 70 yard mark I adjusted the optic, at target 2,3,4 you can see im sighted in and grouping consistanly with 3 shots per each target. all shots grouping tight and acceptable;)

ooops its sideways:n00b: forgive me
    IMAG0369.jpg

I love my 597, Im going to like it more with the new Boys heavy target stock:ar15:
    159.jpg

here's my 597 I got It on a whim and a deal, I had everything cerami- coated in matt black.
    IMAG0370.jpg
    Hey, that bi-pod is pretty snazzy! Where'd you get it and what brand? I'd like to get one of those for my gun too. :)

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    I've had my 597 since 2006 with zero malfunctions that I can recall. It just eats bulk box ammo of various makes. I have the scope zeroed at 100yds and it gets some pretty decent groups, sub 2". Like some others have mentioned, this rifle fits me better than the 10/22 I used to own.

Someday I'll splurge and try some target style ammo in it just to see what it will do.

If you are wanting to do all kinds of customization or add all kinds of stuff then the 10/22 would be more to you liking.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Valparaiso
    I have two 10/22s, which I customized and am thinking of getting the new take-down model. These are a lot of fun to shoot and I think I've yet to clean the things. They just keep shooting...

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    I bought my son a Remington 597 for his 13th B-day. I decided on the Remington because I thought it would better fit my son later on in life. For my daughters when they are old enough I plan on getting them the 10-22.

My son loves his 597 and has been shooting it for 4 years now and has never experienced a problem with it, great shooting gun.

Tim Enyeart

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 25, 2011
    Marion
    I'm not familiar with the 597 but love my 10/22. Lot's of accessories available and it shoots most ammo brands flawlessly makes it a good choice.

seth959ci

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2012
    First Post so hello everyone! i love my 10/22. It eats all ammo and is accurate with the additionTech Sights. I have heard the double stack mags for the 597 are problematic, but i have no first hand experience. I'd be willing to bet the 597 is a more accurate out of the box as the ruger isnt quite the tack driver. But the possibilities are endless with the 10/22. Just my 2 cents:)

Top Bottom