• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dieselrealtor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    179   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Morgan County
    I am looking at getting one of these, I have wanted one with the stainless barrel for a long time.

I want to get an heirloom quality gun that I can pass to one of my kids at time goes on.

Are there any similar or better quality choices in this price point or less?

Thanks.

Aggar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    Kirklin
    From what I've read they're pretty hard to beat and there are a lot of parts out there. I just picked up my 10/22 today so I can't comment on how it shoots yet.

SemperFiUSMC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Spend the little extra and get the target version. They are balls on accurate. You won't be disappointed.

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 7, 2008
    Greenfield
    Every enthusiast should own a 10/22, hands down. It was one of the first rifles I ever shot, has been used for the past 20 some odd years, was passed on to me from my father, and is still running strong.

It is fun, cheap ammo to plink with, accurate, and has endless possibilities in terms of parts and upgrades. :spend:

My 10/22's get more time out of the safe than any other rifle I own.

The carbine version is MUCH lighter than than bull barrel version, but both have their benefits. Although, they do have a new "tactical" bull barrel which isn't the "target" bull barrel, and it isn't near as heavy, and comes with a hogue stock I believe.

Great addition to any collection, you won't be dissapointed. :twocents:

remymartin

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 28, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    If you're not planning to jack it all out and keep it stock just buy something more economical. I wanted a bolt and chose the Mossturd 802. Docked it at 16 inches and threaded it, it is my favorite gun to shoot. If you must have semi-auto peep the Marlin 60. 10/22's are awesome as a platform to customize. Out of the box they are decent to good. I prefer a bolt in a .22 myself, it gives me that time to take a better follow up shot and does not whore me on itself to mag dump and waste ammo. :twocents::ingo:

dieselrealtor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    179   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Morgan County
    I think I am going to teach them to shoot with a single shot bolt action. Cheap to shoot & make them mindful of every pull of the trigger. Later let them move up to a repeater, then maybe a semi-auto.
    The semi-auto purchase is for me, for now.
    I learned to hunt with a single shot .410, made me learn to make the shot count.

Last edited:

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    If you want a semi auto then the 10/22 is the way to go without a doubt. One of the best things about the 10/22 is the ability to add just a few items over time to make it uniquely yours. Even touches like having a family crest or motto laser engraved on the stock is pretty inexpensive.

philagothon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    On the 7th step
    The 10/22 is only a decent rifle out of the box. It's greatest strength is the strong aftermarket support. None of them really count as heirloom quality, at least in my opinion. The cheapest heirloom quality 22 would probably be a CZ452.

Fwiw, my 9 yr old cousin that I am teaching to shoot is getting a Savage MkII GLY for Christmas. I will start him with loading 1 round at a time and eventually let him move on to loading the magazine. The great thing on this rifle is that as he grows he can just change to a full size stock. His first rifle will be one that will last a lifetime.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    If you have any plans to upgrade then the 10/22 is the way to go. If you want to keep it stock, then the Marlin model 60 or Remington 597 are also great choices. As for a bolt action, Marlin makes a great rifle for the money. If you want something a little nicer. I would suggest a Savage.

Trading_Fool

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I disagree about the heirloom quality. My Mom bought my Dad a 10/22 carbine with the stainless barrel and grayish cammo stock(not sure what you call it), and it is the only gun in my collection that I would never sell. As far as looks, fun, and tin can accuracy, it is perfect.

Avi8tor

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 21, 2010
    Deep South
    Have loved my 10/22 since I bought it. Still shoots like it did on day 1. With the stainless barrel model, just slap a scope on it and you have a kick butt gun worth handing down to the kids.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    If you have any plans to upgrade then the 10/22 is the way to go. If you want to keep it stock, then the Marlin model 60 or Remington 597 are also great choices. As for a bolt action, Marlin makes a great rifle for the money. If you want something a little nicer. I would suggest a Savage.

^^^This.^^^

I'm only medium impressed with my 10/22 in stock form. From the box, the Marlin Model 60 is more accurate, has a better trigger, and better sights. My heavy barrelled Savage MKII was more reliable than the Marlin, much more accurate than both, the Accu-trigger was far better than either the Marlin or the Ruger, but it requires a telescope.

If you want to mod your gun, the 10/22 is serviceable from the box accuracy wise, extremely reliable, and unequalled in mods you can do to it. If you don't want to putz with your gun, the Marlin is a better choice in the around $200 price range. If you don't mind spending more, I like the Savage better than either. I've never played with the CZs, so can't give any input on them.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I grew up on a marlin 60. Great gun, but if you want to shoot all day the tube feed becomes a pain in the butt.

I had a Rem 597 and it was ok, but it had a lot of feeding issues and the accuracy just wasn't there.

I had a GSG-5 for a while, and that was a great fun little rifle, but it's hard to justify such an expensive

I've never really cared for the feel or fit of the 10-22 and I really don't like the flip up rear sight, but it's the most time proven semi auto design around and the aftermarket support is second to none. My only real gripe is that it's hard to find a reliable high capacity mag for the gun, but this can be offset by the ease of using a magazine speed loader that'll save your thumb and give you more time shooting and less time loading.

If it's for kids you may think about a S&W 15-22. The adjustable stock would work well as they grow and it may look cooler to them and get them more interested in shooting. Can always load the mags one at a time.

funkeecowboy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    Marion County
    If cost is at all an issue pick up a marlin mod 60. The 2 I've owned have out shot both the 10/22's I had. There is something to say about being able to customize the Ruger though. Have fun with your search!

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I grew up on a marlin 60. Great gun, but if you want to shoot all day the tube feed becomes a pain in the butt.

I had a Rem 597 and it was ok, but it had a lot of feeding issues and the accuracy just wasn't there.

I had a GSG-5 for a while, and that was a great fun little rifle, but it's hard to justify such an expensive

I've never really cared for the feel or fit of the 10-22 and I really don't like the flip up rear sight, but it's the most time proven semi auto design around and the aftermarket support is second to none. My only real gripe is that it's hard to find a reliable high capacity mag for the gun, but this can be offset by the ease of using a magazine speed loader that'll save your thumb and give you more time shooting and less time loading.

If it's for kids you may think about a S&W 15-22. The adjustable stock would work well as they grow and it may look cooler to them and get them more interested in shooting. Can always load the mags one at a time.

Really, the 597 I did own was the most relaible .22 semi-auto rifle I have owned. It fed every make and model of ammo I ran through it. Plus it was accurate to boot.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I also own a 10/22 that has been modified. It has a build date of 2005. I thought at first the trigger was stock. The more I shoot it though I think it has been upgraded. It feels a lot smoother than other 10/22's I have shot. The only problem I ran into is this. It has an aftermarket Butler Creek stock. There is a gap in between the stock and the trigger group. My first trip out, after 50 rounds the trigger would no reset. What I found was the trigger swivel pin was backing out. I fixed the problem and it's flawless now. I have found it prefers the hyper velocity ammo. I get an occasional stove pipe with high velocity ammo. That's the only negative thing I have to say about it. The 597 I had would function anything from sub-sonics to hyper velocity. Hoping the used one I picked up performs the same. My Dad's model 60 has functioned everything as well. He typically sticks with mini-mags.

I own two bolt action Marlin's. A model 925R .22LR and a model 925M .22MWR. The 925R is a package and came with a 3x9x30 scope. It is an accurate rifle. I have never shot groups with it. I can however, shoot the cap off of a 20 ounce water bottle at 50 yards with it. I have had 0 issues with it. My 925M has also been a great gun. The only problem I have had is with Winchester gray box ammo. I have had a couple of cases split and get stuck in the chamber. Plus they are inaccurate rounds to boot. My love and joy is my Savage MKIIFV with heavy barrel and accu-trigger. I have it set on the lowest setting, which if I'm not mistaken is 3 lbs. It is as smooth as butter. The best groups I have shot is a quarter sized 5 shot group at 50 yards. I know it's far more capable then I'm.

Also if you want a semi-auto. Avoid the Kel-Tec SU-22. It is the worse .22 rifle I have ever shot. I could not get it to function worth a damn. I have read similar issues from other owners as well.

Top Bottom