• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    For those of you not already aware, I picked up a 10/22 at the 1500 a few weeks ago:

I took it out to Hamilton County Fish and Game today to give it a bit of a shakedown. On the whole I was pleased with its performance. It's very difficult to miss your target unless you're trying to miss.

The following image is after shooting from an unsupported standing position at around 25-30 yards.

This one is seated at the same distance. Left arm supported on bench.

I am a relative novice with a rifle, but as you can see, even with just iron sights, the rifle is easy to shoot accurately. In the second image, the three black shoot-n-see dots were all hit with each shot (I hadn't shot the fourth yet, and the other stray shots on the paper were from the previous shooter).

The biggest problem I had was feeding issues with the ammo. I was using both 10 and 25 round Butler Steel-Lips magazines, first with Federal and then with Remington (both bulk packs). The Remington, generally, fed better although I still had issues. Both types had numerous stovepipes and feeding jams. I'm hoping that after the rifle shakes out a little it will start to run better.

Per our recent discussion regarding the 10/22 stock trigger: I can definitely see what you mean about the trigger sucking now. I may have to invest in a two-stage trigger after all. After only 100 rounds or so, my finger was already starting to get sore and the lack of draw was starting to get annoying. Also, the magazines are much more difficult to load than, for example, my P22. I may need to invest in a speed loader of some sort as well.

I also picked up a Mueller APV 4x14 40 scope which should be here on Monday. I'm looking forward to trying it out on the 100 and 150 yard lanes at HCF&G.

Last edited:

slacker

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapols, IN
    You do have the extended mag release. the stock one is flush and kind of hard to get to behind the magazine

The extended mag release and auto bolt release were the best 2 upgrades that I put in my 10/22. Looks like you had a great day of shooting.

I was looking around at speed loaders too, let me know what you end up getting and how it works for you. I have the 30 round eagle magazines and they seem to feed pretty well, but nothing can compare to the stock 10 round rotary magazines, I have never had a single problem (other than only having 10 rounds) with the factory magazines.

Congrats on the purchase, and I am still jealous of that red stock :)

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I was looking around at speed loaders too, let me know what you end up getting and how it works for you.

Gander Mountain has a Butler Creek speed loader that looks interesting. One of those "shake it, then dump 'em in the magazine" types, but it's kind of bulky and I'm trying to reduce the amount of stuff I take to the range.

nothing can compare to the stock 10 round rotary magazines, I have never had a single problem (other than only having 10 rounds) with the factory magazines.
    I ran 20 rounds through the stock mag and it was better, but I still had feeding problems.

Congrats on the purchase, and I am still jealous of that red stock :)
    Thanks! I really wanted one with the swirled-wood stain, but I was hesitant to buy the red one. Ultimately, it was a compromise between my wife wanting me to build a pink AR for her and me wanting to shoot something that wouldn't get me laughed at. :): As it turns out, the red color in it is really nice and I'm glad I chose that one over the "shades of brown" one they had.

hawkhavn

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    SE Idaho
    Scutter,

The 10/22 comes standard with a hard to access 'internal' mag release.
    The one on your rifle looks like on of the aftermarket ones (I happen to like that style).
    So either Ruger got smart and changed the mag release like it did with their new 10/22 pistol or someone went ahead and swapped it out for you.

Slacker,
    I agree the bolt hold open, mag release, bolt buffer and a sling are essential to tricking out the 10/22 and can all be done for about thirty bucks! If you want to do a little more look at a scope or Tech Sights.

Hawkhavn

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Slacker,
    I agree the bolt hold open, mag release, bolt buffer and a sling are essential to tricking out the 10/22 and can all be done for about thirty bucks! If you want to do a little more look at a scope or Tech Sights.

Hawkhavn

The bolt hold-open is something I'd like to look at as well. I don't like the fact that it takes three hands to lock or release the bolt. What's this about a bolt buffer?

Oh, and yeah, I'm going to need to get a sling at some point if I'm going to Appleseed.

slacker

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapols, IN

Simon6101

Master
    Rating - 100%
    155   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Sw Indy(Camby)
    Ruger has changed them

All current production 10/22's now come with a plastic extended mag release. The bolt hold open is something you can do yourself with a dremel. Check out Rimfirecentral.com and they tell exactly how to do it.

JcJ

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Thanks a lot guys, because of this thread I'm now I'm forced to go look for another 10-22.. I gave mine to my mother about 10 years ago to use as a farm gun because she had nothing but a single shot 20ga..

Anybody got a spare they wanna sell?:D

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    My 10/22 initially had some stovepipe issues. It eventually cleared up, and I think the only thing we did to it was lube the heck out of it and shoot it a bunch. I put 2 1/2 bulk packs through it in three days. It was cleaned and lubed twice during the break in process. Now I would say 1 in 100 may be a stovepipe. Still not perfect but a heck of a lot better. I also switched ammo brands, but now I can't remember which one seemed to give me the most trouble. I still have Remington and Winchester bulk packs around, so I guess those weren't the troublesome loads.

YMMV.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana

I had some similar problems with mine the first night I got it (I went straight from Plainfield Shooting Supply to the Friday Night Steel at MCF&G) this spring.

Since then, I've had my first failure to feed today. What seemed to make the difference was lubing it. I think it was dry or gooey inside when I first got it, so the bolt was a little sluggish. Spraying from FP-10 in there made a huge difference. I've not cleaned it (naturally), and I have not lubed it since that first time. I suspect the failure to feed today was due to needing a little more lube, although it functioned perfectly for the rest of the match (the malfunction was on stage one of four).

It shouldn't be that picky about ammo unless there is something wrong with it, I think. Try cleaning the chamber and lubing the action, and things should improve (as soundslikejosh suggested).

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    It shouldn't be that picky about ammo unless there is something wrong with it, I think. Try cleaning the chamber and lubing the action, and things should improve (as soundslikejosh suggested).

I agree that lubing was probably a major factor. I didn't lube it prior to taking it out. I'm still trying to locate a good dry lube. I can't seem to find any local stores that stock it. I can confirm that the Federal ammo was sticking a bit in the Butler magazines though.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    A first class competitor has told me to load the mag, then put a drop of FP-10 on the nose of the top projectile. He also advocates having the action sloppy wet. The wetter the better. His recommendation was not just for 10/22s, but rifles in general. Further, he is not discussing this in terms of storage or anything like that, but when he brings a rifle out for practice or a match, he gets her sloppy. While I don't necessarily agree, he is one of those anal retentive, super focused types, and he has enough trophies that I will respect his opinion.

So as far as a dry lube, who knows, maybe wetter is better. I cannot say.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I agree that lubing was probably a major factor. I didn't lube it prior to taking it out. I'm still trying to locate a good dry lube. I can't seem to find any local stores that stock it. I can confirm that the Federal ammo was sticking a bit in the Butler magazines though.

Why do you want a dry lube, unless maybe you're planning to shoot at McMurdo Station during the winter?

As Josh mentioned, wetter is better for most self-loading rifles (and pretty much mandatory for ARs that aren't babied). I'm not sure what you'd gain from any of the dry lubes, and I doubt if any will provide the same level of lubricity.

I use FP-10 or WeaponShield (the latest generation of what used to be FP-10, both created by George Fennell, the tribologist/engineer) on my rifles. Both will work fine in cold weather (I've used FP-10 down to -8 deg F) or hot. Both are "CLP"-type lubes, but with significantly better lubricative properties than most other CLPs (like BreakFree or Royco).

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Why do you want a dry lube, unless maybe you're planning to shoot at McMurdo Station during the winter?

I use FP-10 or WeaponShield

I primarily want the dry lube for my P22.

And do you have a local source for these wonder chemicals of yours?

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I don't know if anyone has WeaponShield on the shelves. I'm still using the samples I got from George!

You should be able to find FP-10 at most places that sell guns. I think I bought it last at Gander Mountain (or maybe it was Sportsman's Warehous in Lafayette?).

Slip2000 lube will work well too.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    FP-10 comes in a black bottle about the size of a medium bottle of contact solution. Not the small 2 oz size containers, its probably around 6 oz or so. It has a flip up lid like contact solution and comes out in drops. Should be able to buy it at a gun shop.

Top Bottom