• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kobra

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    Convert to TACTICOOL!!! Congrats, I've had mine for about 25 years. First gun I ever bought. I've never considered getting rid of it.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Just bought a used 10/22 ruger like new! with no extras any ideas or comments?

Does this mean it came with no extras, or any ideas and no comments as well??:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Seriously, a few Butler Creek 25 round Steel Lip mags make a nice addition, along with modifying the bolt release, shown how too in a thread somewhere on this site, an extended mag release and polishing the hammer surfaces or just dropping in a Volquartsen hammer and you are pretty much good to go.

If you want to get a scope, there are many nice inexpensive ones to choose from. Pretty much how much you want to spend and what style (fixed or zoom) that you prefer.

Then get a ton of ammo as you can go through the stuff really quick in a 10/22 with Butler Creek mags.

Saiga223

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Congrats! Now the fun begins. There are so many options out there that it is hard to choose. You can easily get caught up putting hundreds into one of these little guns. Definitely a blast to shoot just stay away from Remington Golden Bullet bulk packs. I use Federal Bulk in the maroon box and CCI in mine.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    They are magazines, Garands use clips, 10/22s and others use magazines :D

And they are Butler Creek.

Sorry, I get carried away sometimes... and sometime wearing that white jacket that the arms are in the back...

Scopes are really personal preference. If you want to do some serious target shooting, or long range hunting, then getting a scope that costs more than the firearm is not unusual. For the 10/22 I would recommend something like a 3-9X40mm, which if you are not familiar is a 3times to 9 times zoom with a 40mm front lens for better light transmission. Some people like fixed lenses, but I prefer the zoom to give you the ability to get a good sight picture at different ranges.

Also I prefer one with an Adjustable Optic (AO) which adjusts for the parallax of the distance you are shooting. Again nice but not required.

I have a couple of 10/22s with scopes ranging from a 3-9X40 AO to a 6-18x40 AO for that reach out and touch something.

If you are new to shooting, and forgive me for not knowing you, there are many ok scopes that cost less than $50.

Two online places that I have purchased scopes from are Natchez and Midway. Found this at Natchez: BSA .22 Special 3-9X40 Riflescope Matte - Natchez Shooters Supplies

In a pinch, Walmart and Meijer carry some scopes, usually Tasco, Simmons, and Bushnell which although are far from the best, they are adequate for something like the 10/22 used as a plinker.

pute62

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Lawrence
    10/22's are great guns,I've had bunches of them. The only drawbacks I've seen are; you hafta either choose iron sights or a scope because you can't really do both and you always get more money wrapped up in one than you can ever get out of it. Rimfire Central is the best place to find out anything on 10/22s

HighStrung

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Pendleton
    I've got a relatively stock 10/22 with some minor mods, Power Custom hammer and sear kit, Shock Stop bolt buffer, mag release and bolt release mod and I love this little thing. Super fun to shoot, mine feeds any brand of ammo, though it doesn't shoot them all well. Above mentioned was the Federal bulk pack ammo, which is great if your 10/22 like it, mine doesn't. I shoot 2" groups with that ammo at 50yds, yet Wolf target/match keeps my groups the size of nickels at 50yds. The only cheap bulk pack stuff mine shoots well is the Winchester Dynapoint. Before you buy a boat load of ammo, shoot a variety of brands to see what your 10/22 likes best. Other than that, have fun, you're gonna love this thing. Also, beware of the addiction, I've seen several people who end up with $800+ in their 10/22 builds (I won't be far from that amount by the end of the summer, lol).

Psode27

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Rochester
    Have fun! Sky's the limit! I'll be putting a heavy barrel/ stock/ maybe even a new receiver on mine soon. I say go with trigger stuff first. It will give you accurate shots before you decide on an optic! Or if you go iron sights, more power to you! :)

jlm262

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2011
    indianapolis
    everys ideas are appreciated, i shot it today and it jammed a couple times i put 500 rounds and i also got a banana clip anyone esle have this problem?

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    The banana clip it the problem. ;) Rugers use magazines, not clips and especially not banana clips! :D :D :D Again :D

Did you clean it before using? Although .22LRs can go a long time between cleaning, they can get dirty causing issues. It is also possible it is the ammo as some rifles will shoot anything, and some are very particular.

I would give it a thorough cleaning, and give it another brick.

Also, some of the cheaper 25 plus round mags can and do have feed problems, so that could factor in as well.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    "Banana clip"

banana_magazine.jpg

Clip:

Garand_clip.jpg

Mag:
    Butler_Creek_Ruger_10-22_smoke.jpg

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Mat250

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I got one last week and have been loving it. I had a few stovepipes with the cci blazer ammo but the cci standard velocity has been great. It's hard to know what is worth upgrading but the bolt release, an extended magazine release and a bolt buffer seems like an easy place to start. I know it's tempting to get those 30 rd mags but they don't seem worth the trouble. I've been using a cheap scope and I still get nice groups. Just upgrade a little here and there, no need to do it all at once. Have fun...I know I have.:yesway:

jlm262

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2011
    indianapolis
    i paid 30 dollars for this mag "butler creek" and i used federal ammo, ive had good luck with federal before. also i cleaned it before we shot it maybe its just the mag! ill have to pay more attention this weekend to see if its the factory or the aftermarket!

Top Bottom