• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    Heard the rumor the other day that the reason that the Ruger 1911's are so hard to get ahold of right now is that production has ceased at the moment due to a production flaw (cue the Ruger-haters now).

Can anyone (dealers, etc.) confirm or deny this for certain?

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    I did a little googling around and it seems this was something that happened in July and should be resolved already. Unless this is another issue

MilitaryArms

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    It wouldn't be unheard of if there were production problems. I mean, for Ruger the 1911 is a totally new product. There are always teething problems with new products, no matter how capable the manufacturer is.

It could be any number of things.

As Shooter521 points out, it could be something as simple as a subcontractor issue. They might not be able to meet demand or perhaps they aren't meeting Rugers quality requirements. In this day and age, outsourcing is a reality. It takes a lot of planning, ironclad contracts, capable partners and an experienced staff to coordinate manufacturing under this model. It too is destine to have problems, I see it all the time.

The good news is that this isn't Rugers first dance and whatever the problem is, they'll get it rectified. If there's a problem with the pistols that are already out there, they'll fix that too. If it bothers you that your pistol might need to be recalled, you probably shouldn't buy the first run of any gun, even from Ruger. I wasn't bothered by my having to send in my LCP for a update. I knew that the possibility existed that a problem might arise since it was a totally new product. While my pistol didn't exhibit any of the problems Ruger recalled them for, I sent it in anyway form my free magazine.

schmeed

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 30, 2009
    Noblesville, IN
    I emailed Ruger customer service about this a couple days ago. Below is the response I just received a few minutes ago.

Response:
    We do apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you. These firearms are shipping on a daily basis. We sell to Ruger distributors, who in turn supply the local FFL dealers. We have no way to know what the dealers have on order or how soon they may receive our products. The new SR1911 is in very high demand at this time. We are doing our best to meet this demand. Hopefully your local dealers will be receiving our products quickly and he will be able to accommodate you. We do appreciate your patience. If you should need further assistance please call our Service Department at 928/778-6555 between 8:00 - 4:00, MST Monday thru Friday, at a time convenient for you. A Ruger Representative will be happy to help you.

If you need further information, please visit our website at www.ruger.com or contact us at:

Revolvers, shotguns, rifles, 10/22 Charger Pistol: (603) 865-2442
    Pistols: (928) 778-6555
    Serial Number History Information: (603) 865-2424

Please note: This e-mail is sent from a notification-only address that cannot accept incoming e-mail. Please do not reply to this message.

Sincerely,
    Ruger Firearms

Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Salem
    I heard the subcontractor parts shortage story as well at the local gunshop. (Sometimes it pays to drop eaves) Also, I'd say a lot of it is tat the guns are in high demand. Wasnt it the same when the LCP's came out?

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    I emailed Ruger customer service about this a couple days ago. Below is the response I just received a few minutes ago.

Response:
    We do apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you. These firearms are shipping on a daily basis. We sell to Ruger distributors, who in turn supply the local FFL dealers. We have no way to know what the dealers have on order or how soon they may receive our products. The new SR1911 is in very high demand at this time. We are doing our best to meet this demand. Hopefully your local dealers will be receiving our products quickly and he will be able to accommodate you. We do appreciate your patience. If you should need further assistance please call our Service Department at 928/778-6555 between 8:00 - 4:00, MST Monday thru Friday, at a time convenient for you. A Ruger Representative will be happy to help you.

If you need further information, please visit our website at www.ruger.com or contact us at:

Revolvers, shotguns, rifles, 10/22 Charger Pistol: (603) 865-2442
    Pistols: (928) 778-6555
    Serial Number History Information: (603) 865-2424

Please note: This e-mail is sent from a notification-only address that cannot accept incoming e-mail. Please do not reply to this message.

Sincerely,
    Ruger Firearms

Sounds like a whole lot of words for not much being said. I've worked in various manufacturing plants since I got out of H.S...

Product being shipped does not equate product being currently produced...

Like I said, this was a rumor I heard, but the subcontractor issue is a definite possibility, having worked with Tier 1 and Tier 2 automotive suppliers, sometimes the problems come from way on up (or down, depending on your viewpoint) the food chain...

Elmoh01

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2011
    Evansville In.
    Every shop I've been to cannot keep them on the shelves. Whitakers Gun had Ruger day a few weeks back. They had 20 on the first day that where gone by the second day.

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    I am glad I scored one a coupe weeks back, it was used and it had an issue. I did not know it at the time though.
    I could not tell it had a problem when I dry fired it but when I took it out and shot it I had to actually pull the trigger back out for a reset.

I took care of it myself rather than send it back in. there was a burr on the trigger itself. Once I sanded it down everything was fine.

Top Bottom