• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • drop45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2012
    My empire of dirt
    Was trying to take down my 22/45 mk3 for cleaning and something went wrong. The mainspring housing ? Won't close or open completely rendering this firearm inoperable, any quick solution or is it gunsmith time

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      435.7 KB · Views: 6

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    Don't worry. Someone will be along to tell you how they've never had a problem with Ruger Mkx assembly/disassembly. :rolleyes:

Possibly the info below will help. Good luck.

Troubleshooting Page (Note the tiny camera symbols on the right. Those are pictures and can be helpful)

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Can you remove the MSH?

If you can - take it all the way out. Also remove the bolt. Start over 100%.

I've had my fair share of "issues". For me, starting over 100% has always been how I've gotten myself OUT of trouble. I had to take it to a gun shop once (Thanks, BGF!) several years ago. I tried and tried and tried and tried to get my MSH closed and couldn't do it. Guy there must've been holding his tongue right because it closed right up for him. Awesome.

I've recently purchased a Majestic Arms speed strip kit for mine. Even THAT gave me fits.

drop45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2012
    My empire of dirt
    Thanks peeps. Got it taken care of. Took a deep breath (and held my tongue just right,lol) and managed to undo my mistake. Functions fine now, all clean and purty too.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Don't worry. Someone will be along to tell you how they've never had a problem with Ruger Mkx assembly/disassembly. :rolleyes:
    I'm going to fulfill your prediction.

Yes, the Ruger MK series handguns are a "complex" mechanism to assemble/disassemble, but have you ever disassembled a real handgun? AKA, glock, sig, M&P etc? Better put your big-boy panties on to work on those if you think the Ruger is hard. I think the biggest contention people have with the Ruger is that to field-strip and clean it you have to pull the main-spring housing, which seems to be the most difficult part.

Several solutions to common issue:
    Replace the magazine lock with one of the numerous bushings out there so that you don't have to play the insert mag to pull trigger, remove mag, do xyz, insert mag to pull trigger circus (and yes, that's exactly what it is, a circus).
    Next, follow the directions and try to not only understand what the directions are saying but WHY you are doing that step.
    Pulling the trigger to drop the hammer is to release the spring tension from the mainspring housing, to re-insert the main-spring housing the hammer must be dropped again, except this time you don't have the help of a spring pushing on it so you have to look/visualize where the hammer is and how it has to be positioned. It pays attention to look at each part as you take it apart and note the position it's in.
    To re-insert the MSH it's VERY critical that the end of the "push-rod" that is connected to the hammer seats into the proper place on the MSH. Look at it, visualize how it works and why it has to be in the perfect spot.

If you do this, and take your gun apart occasionally you will soon become a wizard at it. I can do it blind-folded with 1 hand tied behind my back now... because I know exactly what has to be done to get the result I need to continue through the operations.

Has it always been this trouble-free for me? No, I had a few hang-ups when I first got it, mostly related to re-installing MSH and the "insert mag to pull trigger circus". But when I slowed down and understood it all I quit having problems.

Top Bottom