• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    So, since it's going to take a while to get a suppressor for my Ruger 22/45 Lite,
    I had to have something to screw on the end of my barrel. So I
    ordered a compensator from MADDMACS PRECISON TACTICAL. I've read
    all sorts of back and forth on other forums regarding the point of a
    compensator on a .22 pistol, but you've got to admit, it makes the gun
    more interesting. And it looks longer (hmm compensating for something with my compensator??)

picture.php

sorry about the poor quality pic

Yes of course, there's no significant recoil with this pistol. (I've put some 500 rounds through it by now), but it does have a little muzzle flip.
    Nothing you can't get used to and we're talking fractions of an inch and it's good practice regaining the sight picture and all.
    But it'll be interesting to see if it changes the feel.

I'd recommend a look at MADDMACS PRECISON TACTICAL.
    The craftsmanship is excellent and you'll get personal responses from emails from Jason.

Last edited:

NullSyndrome

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Gilbert, AZ
    I had been looking at one of those for my 22/45:

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/handguns/227758-new_22_today.html

Did you dispense with the magazine safety for drop free magazines and ability to dry fire without a magazine?

I used this part:

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Mark-Hammer-Bushing-Magazine-Disconnect/dp/B008GSOBTY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1344996814&sr=8-1&keywords=mark+iii+bushing]Amazon.com: Mark III (22/45) Hammer Bushing for Magazine Disconnect: Sports & Outdoors[/ame]

because it has the step in the bushing to fill the notch in the Mark III hammer, rather than the Mark II bushing which can leave some slop with the Mark III hammer. It worked gret.

The the otherr option being the use of a Mark II hammer and bushing.

Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    I had been looking at one of those for my 22/45:

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/handguns/227758-new_22_today.html

Did you dispense with the magazine safety for drop free magazines and ability to dry fire without a magazine?

I used this part:

Amazon.com: Mark III (22/45) Hammer Bushing for Magazine Disconnect: Sports & Outdoors

because it has the step in the bushing to fill the notch in the Mark III hammer, rather than the Mark II bushing which can leave some slop with the Mark III hammer. It worked gret.

The the otherr option being the use of a Mark II hammer and bushing.

Thanks for the info. Nope, haven't messed with the magazine situation but something to look into for sure. This evening I fitted my gun with a TruGlo reflex red dot sight. I'm really interested to see how these do on the .22.

NullSyndrome

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Gilbert, AZ
    Is this a complicated conversion?

Not at all. It only takes a few minutes once you field strip the gun. It results in a drop free magazine, and it seats easier too. Plus, you can dry fire without a mag in the gun.

The magazine disconnect safety is basically an afterthought for the Mark series, it was not designed with one from the get-go. It wasn't well implemented in my opinion, but was added probably for states like California. Essentially all you are doing is reverting to the Mark II design.

There are youtube videos on how to do it, but there is no need to pound out the hammer pin like the guys in the videos seem to like to do. There is a little retention spring holding the pin in place, if you just move that, the pin pushes right over. You push it over just far enough to get the parts off, put the new bushing on, and push the pin back into place. Then you're done!

Unless you are going to change out the hammer with a Mark II hammer, though, I would recommend getting the stepped bushing like the one linked above rather than the Mark II bushing. You can also get it at http://www.tandemkross.com/cubecart/

Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    Thanks, I've ordered it. At first I was a little apprehensive about it messing with it, especially after seeing a guy pound on that pin in a youtube video. I guess I'll wait till I get the part, but I'm wondering if that retention spring is removed during the disassembly or not, or if it's in a position to fly off somewhere.

In any event, I'm really looking forward to my mags dropping out. Fumbling around trying to get them out at the range definitely would not impress the girls!

NullSyndrome

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Gilbert, AZ
    Thanks, I've ordered it. At first I was a little apprehensive about it messing with it, especially after seeing a guy pound on that pin in a youtube video. I guess I'll wait till I get the part, but I'm wondering if that retention spring is removed during the disassembly or not, or if it's in a position to fly off somewhere.

In any event, I'm really looking forward to my mags dropping out. Fumbling around trying to get them out at the range definitely would not impress the girls!

The part comes with an instruction sheet, although it tells you to take the pin out from left to right. It is better to do it the opposite way so you don't need to take it completey out, just far enough to replace the part. You just move the little retention spring out of the groove on the pin with a little eyeglass screwdriver, or maybe even a toothpick. The little retention spring won't come out, at least if you don't take the pin out all the way. If you lived closer to me, I would just do it for you if you wanted.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    The real trick to changing the bushing is reassembly of the sear and sear spring. A small set of picks (like at the dentist) helps. Check out RimfireCentral.com for detailed pictures.

While you've got it apart, consider removing the spring and ball for the bolt hold open release.

NullSyndrome

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Gilbert, AZ
    The real trick to changing the bushing is reassembly of the sear and sear spring. A small set of picks (like at the dentist) helps. Check out RimfireCentral.com for detailed pictures.

While you've got it apart, consider removing the spring and ball for the bolt hold open release.

I'm not sure I'm getting you.. AFAIK there is no need to mess with the sear or sear spring.

This guy demonstrates the process, except that he pounds out the hammer pin instead of just moving the retention spring and pushing it out.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-aXmLyXwpMA[/ame]

Notice that you just pull the hammer pin out enough to get the old parts and the hammer out. Then you stick the bushing on the hammer, stick it back in gun, line up the parts, and push the pin back in. You will here a tiny click and can see that the retention spring has clipped back into the hammer pin. Took me 5 minutes tops once I got the gun field stripped.

The only tools I used was an eyeglass screwdriver to move the retention spring in order to push the pin out, and a small allen wrench to push the pin part way out.

Last edited:

Steve B

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    KEWANNA
    I ordered one as well. I stripped and cleaned the wife's yesterday. I've never done one before. While it was a bit fiddly, it wasn't that big of a deal to tear apart and reassemble. I was a little concerned at first after the way so many talk about the process.

What's the purpose of removing the spring & ball for the bolt hold open release?

Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    The part comes with an instruction sheet, although it tells you to take the pin out from left to right. It is better to do it the opposite way so you don't need to take it completey out, just far enough to replace the part. You just move the little retention spring out of the groove on the pin with a little eyeglass screwdriver, or maybe even a toothpick. The little retention spring won't come out, at least if you don't take the pin out all the way. If you lived closer to me, I would just do it for you if you wanted.

Had my Ruger apart for cleaning after a range session today in Henryville. My bushing is in the mail but I took a look at the retention spring. Those videos with the guys pounding the pin out are almost funny now. I just pushed the end of that spring down just slightly while gentle pushing the pin from right to left - smooth and easy. Pushing it back from left to right it snaps right back into the grove in the pin. Thanks again for the info ... really looking forward to defeating that magazine safety.

But back to compensators for the 22/45 lite.
    Well....
    They look cool. But I actually found shooting with the compensator uncomfortable. The gases caused a very noticable shock wave that's just not there without it. After using the compensator, shooting with just the thread protector in place actually felt like a cool drink of water on a hot summer day. Bottom line - the compensator is all show and no go.
    Now, just for the heck of it, I did buy a thread protector from the guy who makes those compensators (for about 15 bucks). The color actually matches the gun better (it's more of a flat black instead of the gloss look of the original). Also, it is not knerled, but smooth. Looks better. But again, all looks and no real purpose.

It pains me to have to say this> I thought for sure I'd be singing the praises of the compensator. Just can't do it.

Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    Well, just completed the removal of the mazagine disconnect safety of my Ruger 22/45 LITE and replacement with a Tandemkross hammer bushing.
    Piece of cake!
    Love the way the magazine jets out of the well now.
    This is going to make plinking mo easier, mo fun and mo betta.
    Thanks to those who have been following this process and helping me along.

Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    ZR Tactical Solutions also offers a 22/45 compensator ZRTS Ruger 22/45 Compensator. They are an advertiser here on INGO under the username Menzzer37. They are located in Indiana and also offer this upgrade to 22/45's 22/45 Charging Handle. I have some of their GSG 1911-22 products and very pleased with them.

Hey, thanks for the links. The Charging handle looks interesting, but honestly, I typically insert the next mag into the pistol as the bolt is already back from the last empty, then push the bolt release.

As for the comensators? Done there Been that :n00b:
    There's no way I'll blow more money on that stuff for the 22/45, I just don't believe it's any added benefit .. but thanks all the same!

ggglobert9

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 6, 2009
    Ft Wayne
    That $100 could buy a lot more stuff! heck if you are in the right place you can get your silencer for that. SniperCo had silencers for a hundred bucks a while back I think! You can thread an A2 birdcage or an AK flash hider for a lot cheaper and the cool factor and be cheap also. Hundred bucks for ammo would give you a couple of thousand.

Top Bottom