• ...and so much more!
  • mima07

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2012
    central Indiana
    Appreciate some advice.
    I have been shopping for a .22 pistol for cheaper target practicing. One gun store I visited had a Ruger 22/45(not a Mark series) used, $300.
    Told the seller I'd think on it, maybe be back tomorrow.
    The gun appeared in good shape but I wonder if the price wasn't too high being used?
    What is the difference between a Ruger 22/45 and Ruger Mark III series?
    I have looked at both the Ruger, Buckmark and Beretta in .22. Hesitant too about taking the Ruger apart for cleaning, after seeing it on YouTube videos, but think I could master it if I liked the gun.
    Thanks for your help.I just wonder what is a reasonable price for a pistol.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    22/45 has a different frame than the Mk series. Same action.

The magazines are not interchangeable.
    The 22/45 has a MkII and MkIII version.

Ruger_MK_II.jpg

Mark II

1_pistols_ruger_mark_ii_2245__46861.jpg

22/45 Mk II

Mk III's have magazine disconnect and loaded chamber indicator, I think that is the only difference.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    .22/45 = plastic
    Mark III = metal

If you decide on the Ruger .22/45 get the cocobolo grip panels. You'll thank me later. It goes for about $300 or a tick more at Plainfield Shooting Supplies. Without the grips runs about $50 less.

BTW I have both and I like my Buckmark Camper better.

hopper68

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Pike County
    Grip angle. The 22/45 grip angle is similar to the 1911 and the Mark is more like the grip angle of a luger. The older 22/45 did not have changeable grip panels.

LP1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Friday Town
    Appreciate some advice.
    I have been shopping for a .22 pistol for cheaper target practicing. One gun store I visited had a Ruger 22/45(not a Mark series) used, $300.
    Told the seller I'd think on it, maybe be back tomorrow.
    The gun appeared in good shape but I wonder if the price wasn't too high being used?
    What is the difference between a Ruger 22/45 and Ruger Mark III series?
    I have looked at both the Ruger, Buckmark and Beretta in .22. Hesitant too about taking the Ruger apart for cleaning, after seeing it on YouTube videos, but think I could master it if I liked the gun.
    Thanks for your help.I just wonder what is a reasonable price for a pistol.

$300 sounds high for a used one, unless it comes with a lot of extra magazines. That's close to what a new one should cost, maybe more. My memory could be faulty, but I think I've seen new 22/45s for around $279 recently. (I have not visited a gun shop in the past week, although I wouldn't expect this to be a panic item.)

Grip angle is different. My personal preference is that if I want the grip angle of a 1911, I'll buy a 1911 in .22. I like the grip angle of the Mark II/III for target shooting.

They're a challenge to break down until you get the hang of it. However, they're worth the effort in exchange for cheap accurate plinking.

Mister.Meow

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2012
    Scottsburg
    Hesitant too about taking the Ruger apart for cleaning, after seeing it on YouTube videos, but think I could master it if I liked the gun.

I have the Mark III Target and it is a great shooting gun. Disassembling for cleaning is a PITA at first but it does get easier. I bought mine new (paid $337 from Bud's) and it was tighter than a drum. After taking it apart several times things worked loose and it's not nearly as difficult. Can't speak for the others but I do love mine!

mainjet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    Lowell
    Both of the Rugers are fantastic guns and you would never second guess your decision to buy either one.

I have both and I love them both. At $279.00 for the 22/45 it would seem to me that it isn't worth messing with buying it used.

The 22/45 grip panels are integrated into the grip. So you can't really do aftermarket grips but that is no big deal.

Here is a bottom view of the two to show the difference in the mag wells.
    IMG_9046.jpg

And here is a side by side or top and bottom. hahaha
    Marks.jpg

get either one and don't look back.

Bounty Hunter

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2010
    There you are.
    I bought one about a year ago. Fun to shoot, scary accurate!! 1911 style wood grips and bull barrel. Bought a leather holster from Ruger for it. You cannot go wrong with it.

Gino66

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2012
    SWIN
    my .02 worth. Buy it, pay the 3 bills, its worth every penny. I have one, in SS and love it shooting, cleaning, even the gunsmith breakdown isn't bad to do. the new Mk3 version has alot more moving parts, and tough to put back together.....someone else mentioned PITA, which is spot-on. This gun will function flawlessly. We have put 2000 rnds thru it in a day, without a cleaning.....just shot in some WD40 after 1500 or so. buy lots of mags, cause you will like feeding it without stopping

Faine

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 2, 2012
    Indy (South Side)
    my 4.50usd

I'm a proud new owner of a Ruger MKIII 22/45. Your fears about the assembly are only justified for about 1-3 hours (coincidentally the 1-3 hours it takes to disassemble and reassemble it the first time). Once you've done it once you're good to go. (my advice, never try to force anything, if you can't get it easily in place something is out of place, the only thing that's really tight is the pin going up through the bolt) Every once in a while you'll forget to put the magazine in or take it out at the right time but it's not a biggie. Don't fear the Ruger .22's!

I think 300 for a used is a bit much as well, particularly for a .22 that could have lord knows how many rounds through it. Maybe it's time to bust out the ole haggling boots and talk them down a bit, it's likely they don't have too much invested in it anyway and will come down quickly. A new 22/45 only costs about 320-340 + 11usd (to get the bushing to remove the magazine disconnect).

jchuff87

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    Some might disagree and I was talking a little about this on another thread but for a 22/45 I would get a Mark II. Had a few Mark IIIs and they were often a headache.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    If you decide on the Ruger .22/45 get the cocobolo grip panels. You'll thank me later. It goes for about $300 or a tick more at Plainfield Shooting Supplies. Without the grips runs about $50 less.

Careful - the early 22/45's didn't have removable grip panels. They were actually molded into the frame.

So then a used Ruger 22/45 with black plastic grips, going for $300 sounds maybe over priced.
    Depends - what barrel? For the 6 7/8" stainless fluted version - that's not too bad. Fiber optic sights with rail?

Some might disagree and I was talking a little about this on another thread but for a 22/45 I would get a Mark II. Had a few Mark IIIs and they were often a headache.

The Mark III can be converted to function the same as the Mk II with a new hammer bushing and a replacement panel for the LCI.

Plus, light gunsmithing on this pistol is fun and relatively easy (and I'd say required to clean up the trigger).

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Careful - the early 22/45's didn't have removable grip panels. They were actually molded into the frame......

There are a couple of DIY videos and threads around about grinding down the molded frame grips and installing bushings to be able to fit standard 1911 grips.....
    There is a company or individual that will do the work for you... mill the frame, install bushings etc.
    I can't recall the name now but I'm sure it would come up if you searched for it.

Nice thing is if you go that route you don't need any FFL back and
    forth shipping as the lower is not the serial number bearing part of the Mk series of guns, the upper is.

I haven't been brave enough to take the dremel to my 22/45.

G.ninO

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2012
    i would go with the bull barrel. i had a slab side and it just didnt feel right, but a good way to save $ at the range.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Careful - the early 22/45's didn't have removable grip panels. They were actually molded into the frame.
    OK maybe that was vague, get the gun that comes with the cocobolo grips, it's not that much more and totally worth it.

Top Bottom