• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dobber

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 7, 2012
    Granger (South Bend)
    I got my 22 out today to inspect and clean as I periodically do. I encountered a few problems:

1. The weapon was stored chamber open with a mag inserted, as I store most of my rifles. As I pulled the rifle out of the safe the bolt mechanism released and loaded the gun. I see potential risk here if for some reason I forget all the safety rules I follow with every gun...always.

2. The round that got chambered got shaved. See below. Is this normal? I can't remember the last time I shot this .22 or if I've ever ejected a live round after chambering it.

-Dobber

4ffe792ae5bc388f21853e3e87ce978b_zpsf433e337.jpg

e5e64ed4924154ac4204eec75726db64_zpsfdbea9f2.jpg

cyprant

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 13, 2011
    North Georgia
    In had a browning buckmark that did this. Cabellas returned my $ on the spot even after I took it home...

Yes it is a problem if you want your bullets to fly straight... call Ruger, they should take care of it.
    My guess is your gun was dry fired quite a few times..

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    Not good... I'll give you a hundred bucks for it and turn it in the next time there is a gun buy back.... I promise

Dobber

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 7, 2012
    Granger (South Bend)
    its your magazine. the spring in it is weak because of the numbskull owner storing the mag loaded.

If it's weak it's due to the thousands of rounds it saw at the hands of boyscouts...not because it's stored loaded. Read an engineering manual.

Thanks Cyprant for the advice. Ill likely pick up a few new BX-25 mags and run some rounds through it before calling ruger.

-Dobber

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    NOT Too SAFE.....

its your magazine. the spring in it is weak because of the numbskull owner storing the mag loaded.

^^^+1....

Each to His Own--I store my firearms EXACTLY the OPPOSITE...No Mag.-Bolt closed-Fireing pin down on a Snap-Cap.

To ME your storage habits are a accident waiting to happen???....Bill..

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Springs don't loose tension from constant compression. They loose tension from compressing and uncompressing many times over. It heats the spring making it lose temper.

Slawburger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Almost Southern IN
    Mags should be fine stored loaded. Lots of cycles or dirt could be a problem over time though.
    Try a fresh mag and see how the cartridge lines up when loaded for comparison. If it is a 10/22 you might be able to disassemble the old mag and give it an extra half-turn or get a replacement spring.

I store rifles without a mag and with the action open to allow air to circulate.
    I used to store them with the action closed to keep dust out but someone convinced me that rust was a greater threat than dust.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    The projectile that was shaved may or may not show a problem to exist.
    If the gun was stored for a while then gummed oils might have caused a slow bolt drop.
    Or maybe there was a position issue with the round in the magazine (or a problem with the round itself).

Clean it up and take it to the range to test.

My guess is that it's just fine.

Chance

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    Berne
    If you can tell that the chamber mouth is not round at the area where the extractor slot is, a chamber iron will fix that. I use one on .22 rifles that actually have been damaged by dry firing. Simple process if you have the tool. I would also consider polishing the mouth f the chamber with a felt bob and some Semichrome polish. No metal removal, just polishing.

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    If it's weak it's due to the thousands of rounds it saw at the hands of boyscouts...not because it's stored loaded. Read an engineering manual.

Thanks Cyprant for the advice. Ill likely pick up a few new BX-25 mags and run some rounds through it before calling ruger.

-Dobber

You go ahead and run with that...my 10/22 works just fine and always has...Im not the one with a rifle thats reshaping projectiles before they even get out of the barrel. All my 10/22 mags work fine too. ;)

wildddw

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 6, 2013
    Huntington
    wow.... I hate it when this happens. This fine gentleman was seeking advice from fellow gun enthusiasts and it turns into a peeing match. Good lord. It's not like he was asking if open carry is a good idea! but hey you know what they say, "haters gonna hate....."

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    wow.... I hate it when this happens. This fine gentleman was seeking advice from fellow gun enthusiasts and it turns into a peeing match. Good lord. It's not like he was asking if open carry is a good idea! but hey you know what they say, "haters gonna hate....."

Yeah, It's pretty sad. it doesn't help him solve the issue. I am curious what ammo he is using. I have had issues with Remington Thunderbolts bullets tilting a little sideways while chambering. I am not far from him. I would be glad to let him try one of my mags and to look the gun over. I know the 10-22 pretty well. PM me if interested.

wildddw

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 6, 2013
    Huntington
    Yeah, It's pretty sad. it doesn't help him solve the issue. I am curious what ammo he is using. I have had issues with Remington Thunderbolts bullets tilting a little sideways while chambering. I am not far from him. I would be glad to let him try one of my mags and to look the gun over. I know the 10-22 pretty well. PM me if interested.

But, But, well aren't you going to insult him for having a different opinion?

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone

I told the OP what was wrong with this rifle so I did solve the issue...he just refuses to listen. Instead in post #5 he wrote "Read an engineering manual". You can lead a horse to water but you cant make them drink. I refuse to try further help someone that refuses to listen. If he knew so much about his rifle then why is he posting here asking what the problem is. Instead he told me (me being the one that has a perfectly operating Ruger 10/22) to "Read an engineering manual". Maybe he should try the basics first....like reading the owners manual.
    I have no problems not saving a person from themself.

wildddw

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 6, 2013
    Huntington
    I told the OP what was wrong with this rifle so I did solve the issue...he just refuses to listen. Instead in post #5 he wrote "Read an engineering manual". You can lead a horse to water but you cant make them drink. I refuse to try further help someone that refuses to listen. If he knew so much about his rifle then why is he posting here asking what the problem is. Instead he told me (me being the one that has a perfectly operating Ruger 10/22) to "Read an engineering manual". Maybe he should try the basics first....like reading the owners manual.
    I have no problems not saving a person from themself.

Right, but was calling him a numbskull really the appropriate path? And he was listening to you, he just disagreed. Your attitude is what's wrong with good ole "merica". And in addition, having a fully operational firearm isn't credentials for master advice. Especially with the venerable 10/22 which is preetty much the "ak-47" of the .22 rifle world.

Top Bottom