Ruger American (Ranch/Compact) trigger replacement? Tuning?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    Has anyone found a replacement trigger or reliable way to lighten the trigger on one of these rifles? I've looked at Rifle Basix and Timney, neither seem to carry anything. Factory settings are 3-5 lbs, I'd like to get it down to a pound. Thanks in advance!

edwea

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jan 25, 2015
    New Dolan
    Here are the steps I took to fix my last crappy trigger from ruger A) I found a local gun show. B) I sold the rifle C) I bought an Anschutz
    Have you looked on rimfire central?
    Each has their place. I'd put the Ruger through things I wouldn't put an anschutz through. They're just too nice. Ruger American Ranch is a decent knock-around, not heart broken if it gets dents/dings/scratches type of gun. And I don't think the ranch is offered in a rimfire.

Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    So here's the full story...I attended Shot show as delegate for Handgun silhouette association. Chatting with Ruger marketing guy, asked if they ever considered making bolt action centerfire handgun. He concedes it's easier to do than most folks think, we spitball a bit, then gives me his personal cell number and says call me.

Hunting...not a problem. Factory trigger is 3-5 lbs.
    Competition...gotta have a trigger 2-8 ounces.

So while we're on it... would you buy an affordable bolt pistol in 300 blk, 223? Guessing under $700?

edwea

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jan 25, 2015
    New Dolan
    Most definitely. Q, savage , and b&t make bolt action pistols in 300 blackout. I would buy one in a heartbeat but it would quickly grow a stock.

Squirt239

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    North of Brownsburg
    Has anyone found a replacement trigger or reliable way to lighten the trigger on one of these rifles? I've looked at Rifle Basix and Timney, neither seem to carry anything. Factory settings are 3-5 lbs, I'd like to get it down to a pound. Thanks in advance!
    I know a guy that can tune that trigger...

Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    Also, I wish cz would make a pistol version of their 600 trail chambered in blackout. That would be sweet.
    I asked CZ about that. It was a hard no. They're pretty happy with the popularity of their rifle lines, both .22 and centerfire, and see no need to enter a niche market.
    Can I ask why you'd want such a light trigger on a Ruger American?
    Not necessarily on the rifle, but if they built a bolt pistol, competition guys want a light trigger. Same action, same factory trigger

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Not necessarily on the rifle, but if they built a bolt pistol, competition guys want a light trigger. Same action, same factory trigger
    I can understand target folks wanting super light triggers...

It just seems very very odd to me to put such a light trigger on what is mean to be a utilitarian / beat around / cheap hunting rifle. It's not even aimed at being an entry level target rifle.

Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    To clarify a bit, the purpose is to get a limited run of a budget friendly, rear grip bolt action handgun that would appeal to those who would like the challenge of shooting paper, critters, deer, etc, chambered in a 223 or 300 Blk, and/or serve as a basis for a custom gun.
    Case in point is the Ruger Charger, a cut down 10/22 with a rear grip stock, aftermarket trigger and/or barrels/optics available, etc...
    Such a gun would likely be tinkered with and a good target trigger for punching paper or prairie dogs is vital for that. Already existing are plenty of high dollar actions to build a $2500 handgun around, this is not that purpose.
    My Ruger Ranch in 300 BLK readily shoots 2 moa with a factory trigger from bags, it's pretty easy to cut the barrel to 15" and put it in a Boyds stock like the Ruger Charger. But a target trigger is needed if you want to shoot small targets. A drop in trigger at 8 ounces would go a long way toward that purpose.

edwea

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jan 25, 2015
    New Dolan
    To clarify a bit, the purpose is to get a limited run of a budget friendly, rear grip bolt action handgun that would appeal to those who would like the challenge of shooting paper, critters, deer, etc, chambered in a 223 or 300 Blk, and/or serve as a basis for a custom gun.
    Case in point is the Ruger Charger, a cut down 10/22 with a rear grip stock, aftermarket trigger and/or barrels/optics available, etc...
    Such a gun would likely be tinkered with and a good target trigger for punching paper or prairie dogs is vital for that. Already existing are plenty of high dollar actions to build a $2500 handgun around, this is not that purpose.
    My Ruger Ranch in 300 BLK readily shoots 2 moa with a factory trigger from bags, it's pretty easy to cut the barrel to 15" and put it in a Boyds stock like the Ruger Charger. But a target trigger is needed if you want to shoot small targets. A drop in trigger at 8 ounces would go a long way toward that purpose.
    If there was a budget friendly option as you describe, I suspect it would be very popular.

Top Bottom