Ruger American Rimfire Barrel shortening, why not?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tactical Bacon

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    West Side
    Just picking up a Ruger American Rimfire and want to use it as a host gun. I am looking for a gunsmith near Indy to shorten to 16 1/2" and thread it along with moving the front sight, is there any reason that I should not do it? Any recomendations on Smithing?

giovani

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2012
    If it is chambered in 22lr , you won't be loosing much if anything in the way of velocity.
    as for other rimfire calibers I couldn't say.

JimH

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    You won't loose speed,but you may loose accuracy.Before you cut the barrel,have your smith slug it and try to cut it off at a tight spot.I would definately do before/after accuracy test.

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    I hate to be the one to say it... but of all of the guns for Ruger to design, why in the hell did they come up with that goofy creation?

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    I know USDS has a guy that threaded a Crickett for them so I would imagine that the Ruger wouldn't be a problem. I saw the new Ruger last night and thought it was a really really neat piece, other than the looong barrel.

[FONT=&quot]NRA Life Member~~ [/FONT][FONT=&quot]GSSF member[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]Gunsite graduate[FONT=&quot] ~~[/FONT]Certified Glock armorer[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]NRA Certified pistol instructor[FONT=&quot] ~~[/FONT]1911 Mechanic[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    No, most of the smoother actions like the cz and savage cock the bolt when the bolt is lifted preventing a duplication of resistance between feeding the next round into the chamber AND cocking.

I can tell when my mag is out of ammo on my cz just by the way the bolt feels when running home w/out loading a round. With a cock on closing bolt not so much. This is just my opinion though and I am sure many disagree with it.

Top Bottom