• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Plinkuh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 7, 2010
    West Side of Indy
    What do you guys think about these? They have a nice price point, and the Ruger looks just as stunning as some of the pricier 1911's. Anyone have first hand experience with either of these?

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    I've got a Remmy R1 and it's a blast to shoot, accurate and eats everything. I carry it once in while and it's surprisingly concealable for a full sized piece. The Ruger will be my next pistol.

hootenholler

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 19, 2011
    jefferson co
    im thinking the same thing...i really like the way the ruger comes with all the goodies and it looks great...i have been thinking about the sa range officer also its also a very good gun but a little bit more $ thou..doing some hard thinking here the last few weeks..

Obiward

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Fortville
    I fondled a Remington at a gun store a while back. Really liked it. I'm hoping to find a hell of a deal on a SR1911 at the gun show in a week. :)

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    i believe the ruger's frame is cast, fwiw. that may turn some people off.

i personally think it looks like a nice gun and i like products made in the states. I would definitely be interested in handling one.

bigedp51

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2011
    I have the Remington R1 and it is not as refined as the higher cost 1911s, it has a few rough edges and many of the small parts are Metal Injection Molding (MIM). I work part time at Gander Mountain and wish I had done more research and handled more 1911s before buying the Remington. :( There is a reason it is cheaper and you get what you pay for, there is a difference between forged and milled parts and molded and investment castings.

I put Cylinder and Slide hammer and sear group in mine to get a better trigger pull. If you look in 1911 forums the Philippine made 1911s (Armscor/Rock Island) have the second highest following and are great for a starter customizing project.

Sorry the Remington R1 1911 isn't a bad pistol, its just the grass looks greener on the other side of the fence now that I have had it for a while. I like my Sig and Glocks better ;) And Remington is now owned by a French Holding and Investment Group.

The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

toyotaslave

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 22, 2011
    Princeton
    i believe the ruger's frame is cast, fwiw. that may turn some people off.

i personally think it looks like a nice gun and i like products made in the states. I would definitely be interested in handling one.

I wouldn't let the cast frame deter anyone. Ruger's investment casting subdivision has been casting frames for years for some of the other manufacturers. If the slide were cast, that may be another topic all together. Having said that, Ruger's 1911 is on my hot list if I can get my grubby little hands on one.:patriot:

T-Mann

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 11, 2011
    Michiana Area
    Got a Ruger SR1911 today to go along with my SW1911. Haven't put any rounds down range yet so can't comment on that part. I'll take some more detailed...GOOD photos later and post. This was just a quick BB snap when I got it home (them had to rush back out the door)...

5783507990_ff2d28fc02_b.jpg

danimal

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2011
    Unincorporated Lake County
    I wouldn't let the cast frame deter anyone.

^^^ this, with aluminum framed 1911s and polymer framed .45s, i think it's just ruger's competition trying to scare people up. with today's modern metallurgy and technology, i doubt it makes much difference on a handgun; but i'm no physicist. i would think that the quality and strength of the base steel is what is more important than how it was formed.

thats a nice set of 1911s T-Mann, enjoy!

Plinkuh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 7, 2010
    West Side of Indy
    If you do find one there I doubt if it's at a reasonable price;). Ol Bob at PSS sells them for $599 when he has them, just keep that in mind.

Yeah, I hear ya. But if its the only place to find one, it's convenience factor makes up for the markup...a bit at least. Which model is 599 at PSS? The Ruger or Remmy?

Top Bottom