• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JHB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2016
    Columbus
    May be the gas tube or key is out of line. The whole thing comes down to you paid good money for the rifle. Part of the sail price was to pay for returns for there poor quality. The only way they will up there quality is when the returns cost more than they save. Until then we have to play the game there way or chose better suppliers.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    When putting a round in, are you slowly letting the charging handle/bolt go forward or are you pulling the charging handle to the rear and completely letting go of it and allowing it to “slam” back into battery?

Just like when I rack the slide i pull it back and let it go on its own.

A friend brought his ar over today we shot out back little muddy but all good. We pulled the bolt group out of his ar Ruger ran fine

Guess I send it off

scottka

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    SW IN
    Good deal. Just wanted to make sure. I’d say give Ruger a call and let them send you a pre-paid label to ship it back. They’ll take care of you.

charley59

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    In Carroll County
    Are the barrel and chamber free of obstructions? Can you look down the barrel? I have heard in the past a piece of the unloaded chamber indicated was broken off in the bore.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    :popcorn::popcorn:

Whenever I start running a new AR i bring a few mags by different manufacturers, and on the last one, I was glad to have a spare upper and bcg to diagnose issues. I also soak them LIBERALLY with gun oil, until it's seeping out the trigger pin holes and splattering our the dust cover. Once it runs good I don't keep them that wet. With a rifle manufactured completely by one company, if I had any issues whatsoever, I would call them, just like a car, kitchen appliance, etc. Good luck, keep us posted!

This is what I do, also. Literally soak your bolt carrier group, charging handle, and inside the upper. Try to cycle it soaking wet.

pblanc

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2014
    Evansville
    If your barrel passes the "plunk test" i.e, round drops (plunks) freely into the open chamber of the barrel, carefully examine the locking lugs on the barrel extension (the things you see on the muzzle end of the barrel looking into the receiver) and the locking lugs on your bolt for any burrs, defects or deformities and clean them well. Also examine the feed ramps (two little semi-circular cut outs) on the barrel extension extending onto the aluminum of the lower receiver. These should appear smooth, symmetrical, and without deformity. If you have not already done so, disassemble your bolt carrier group (BCG). You need to do this every so often to clean the rifle and there are about a thousand sources on youtube and elsewhere on the 'net to help you if you have not already done so. Basically, you push out the small cotter pin (firing pin retaining pin) that holds the firing pin in, and the firing pin drops out the back of the BCG. You then turn the cam pin so that its rectangular top portion clears the gas key, and you can pull it out. That frees the bolt up so that you can pull it out of the bolt carrier group.

Examine the inside of the BCG chamber where the bolt rides. It should be shiny and uniform. Examine the three little rings (gas rings) on the tail end of the bolt for any damage or deformity. Also make sure that the gas key (thing bolted onto the top of the BCG) is not at all loose. Clean anything that looks like it needs it. I apply some grease to the gas rings and interior of the bolt carrier group, the cam pin, and the locking lugs on the bolt and the barrel extension. Don't apply much lubrication to the firing pin. I apply only a very light film of oil to the pin with my fingers. Reassemble the bolt, cam pin, and firing pin in the BCG and try pulling the bolt out and pushing it in by hand. It should be a little stiff because the gas rings, being new, will be a tight fit. But the bolt should go in and out smoothly.

There are four rail surfaces on the BCG and withing the upper receiver that the BCG rides on. Examine these. Clean as needed and lubricate (I use a film of grease). With the charging handle out, drop the BCG in your upside-down upper with the bolt in the fully forward extended positon. Try running the BCG forward and pulling it back by hand to make sure that the locking lugs on the bolt and barrel extension mate properly, and to make sure that the gas key on the BCG is properly aligned with the gas tube on the upper receiver. Again, there will be a little bit of resistance but everything should fit together smoothly.

Also take a look at your lower receiver and check to be sure that the buffer and recoil spring are not binding in the receiver extension (buffer) tube. That is that thing sticking out the back of the receiver that the butt stock fits on. You can see the front end of the buffer looking into the back of the lower receiver. Take something like the eraser end of a pencil and push the buffer back into the tube and slowly release it a number of times. You will need to overcome the resistance of the recoil spring to do this, but it should feel smooth with no sense of binding.

If everything checks out, I would take it back to the range and fire a couple of hundred rounds through it. If problems persist, send it back to Ruger. If you find any problems during this process, take a digital photo of any visible defects and call Ruger.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom