• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Not to be a thread-downer, but these are well-known in rimfire steel challenge circles to become unreliable feeders pretty quickly. I found this out the hard way, when I went to my first couple competitions and wondered why all the good shooters were using 10-round mags with the nice anodized aftermarket baseplates, when such super neat-o 25-rounders were available for a cheap price? I soon found out why.

They are OK for plinking, if you want to teach your kid how to clear jams properly. Just switch back to the 10-rounders before they lose interest. Word to the wise.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    Not to be a thread-downer, but these are well-known in rimfire steel challenge circles to become unreliable feeders pretty quickly. I found this out the hard way, when I went to my first couple competitions and wondered why all the good shooters were using 10-round mags with the nice anodized aftermarket baseplates, when such super neat-o 25-rounders were available for a cheap price? I soon found out why.

They are OK for plinking, if you want to teach your kid how to clear jams properly. Just switch back to the 10-rounders before they lose interest. Word to the wise.

Honestly, they seem to be kinda like AK mags except with way better support from Ruger. If you have a problem you can always send them back and Ruger will replace them. If your gun just doesn't like BX-25s, then you can tweak on 'em and improve reliability. There are lots of people at both ends of the spectrum so it can't all be the mags.

I think I have 8 or 10 BX-25s and I'm not sad about it. The point you raise is that I should also have a dozen or so BX-1s, and that is a good point.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    What do the baseplates do for the 10 rounders? And where do you get them?

I am going to ask around about the brand/source. But the baseplates are only a luxury for easier insertion / removal. The key to reliability is staying away from high cap. In addition to the Ruger BX-25s eventually sitting at a funny angle in the gun due to the extra weight (which can be "tweaked"), the very large capacity leads to the rounds "nose-diving" and not being delivered repeatably at the correct angle (which cannot).

At plinking volumes, it can take a while to notice. My very first match, they ran like a charm. But at competition volumes it will eventually burn you. Next time out, I got lucky most of the day because my "crap run" on each stage didn't count (your worst run per stage is discarded). Next to last stage, I finally got a second "blown run" that went on the score pad for keeps. When you're modestly shooting for 100 seconds total time over 31 scored strings, and add 20 seconds on a single run because your last loaded mag won't feed the round...yah. Not good :dunno:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I was looking at this thread hoping the big long bannana Ruger mags were quite a thing. I have a few to sell, including some of those two in one jobs.

Mine work fine and were really cool when I bought them. They just don't fit my style of shooting. In recent years, my focus has been on accuracy over volume.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    ...the very large capacity leads to the rounds "nose-diving" and not being delivered repeatably at the correct angle (which cannot).

Without knowing exactly your failure mode, there are tons of follower mods guys do to BX-25s to tweak feeding issues. Apparently you can shim them around and influence different feeding behaviors.

I've never had a reason to do any of that, but I do know some people do.

KMaC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 4, 2016
    Indianapolis
    I have a BX-15 and a BX-25 mag and haven't had any trouble through 6,000 rounds. But I'm using the bolt action Ruger Precision Rimfire.
    Attached video shows what bad things can happen with semi-auto rimfire using a BX-25. To keep perspective, the failure (ok, explosion) happened after multiple rapid fire mags.

[video=youtube_share;_1fZtUUkcGg]http://youtu.be/_1fZtUUkcGg[/video]

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    So far my 10/22 has never had any problems with them. The children like to shoot them fast my rifle seems to like them. Of course it isn't a competition rifle nor has it ever been in a match so for me they are just fine. I carry one coon hunting in case we get super lucky and tree 10 coon in one night lol.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Seyboldbryan
    Top Bottom