• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bosbar

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 10, 2008
    Just outside Indy
    I was shooting a Mark IV 22/45 that belonged to my daughter. It kept stovepiping. I thought maybe my daughter didn't clean it very well so, I took it home and recleaned it and oiled it.

Back to the range, still stovepiping.

Called Ruger, they sent me a return label and away it went.

Here's where it gets interesting.
    I had installed a Volquartsen trigger for my daughter. Ruger calls me and says, they have to return the pistol to it's original condition or they can't work on it. They will send the Volquartsen parts in a bag.

I call this BS. Now when I get it back I have to re-install the trigger.

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    Honestly, i feel they hooked it up... I can't really think of any instance where warranties cover modified products. Then again, to my knowledge, ruger doesn't offer a written warranty. Let alone a warranty on consumer modified or customized forearms. Just my initial thoughts.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I have sent a heavily worn Ruger mark II back and they did a great restore at no cost. I was willing to pay because it was not a defect, it was worn out. (Imagine GM rebuilding and refinishing my old Chevy because I wore out the first one!)

I have since returned two other firearms for factory repair. Each time I took the after market parts off and returned it to stock condition before sending. With the extreme litigious condition of our society, I can understand where no manufacturer would want to appear to approve of after market modifications.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I was shooting a Mark IV 22/45 that belonged to my daughter. It kept stovepiping. I thought maybe my daughter didn't clean it very well so, I took it home and recleaned it and oiled it.

I had installed a Volquartsen trigger for my daughter. Ruger calls me and says, they have to return the pistol to it's original condition or they can't work on it. They will send the Volquartsen parts in a bag.

They have to eliminate of the 3rd party product is the issue or not. I don't believe this is uncommon at all in firearms OEM repair.

jwamplerusa

High drag, low speed...
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2018
    Boone County
    My experiences have been outstanding.

I had a troublesome LC9s which went back 3 times. Ruger went so far as to buy the exact ammo I was having problem with so they could duplicate the problem.

Each time I spoke to a customer service rep they mentioned that the firearm could not be returned with a non Roger part.

Gunmetalgray

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 14, 2021
    not lost, wandering...
    Sucks to have to send it off & reinstall trigger but I'd probably be tearing it down upon return anyway just out of curiosity to see what they did. What ammo btw?

Side note; Volquartsen trigger on a Mark IV 22/45 is a winning combination for sure. Add a dot and that thing is a tack driver at 50 yards, more like a pin nailer! Wish Ruger would have upped the capacity from 10 to 20 tho.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County

Sounds like normal procedure to me. I always send mine in with the original parts.
    On my RIA Ultra FS 10mm I'll just take it to my gunsmith unless the slide or frame cracks then it will be sent to RIA. Not that it has or will happen I'm just pointing out how extreme it will be before I send it in.
    I've used Ruger customer service a few times and they have always been good.

marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.
    Smith & Wesson will also return a gun9 to stock when you send it in for work.

I sent my Shield EZ 9mm back for the recall on the hammer. They replaced my Dawson fibre optic front sight with the stock sight. I called and they sent me a S&W fibre optic sight at no charge.

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    The thing is, the trigger has nothing to do with the stovepipeing so, why do the have to return it to stock?
    As mentioned liability but here’s a little more. My retirement job is I work part time instructing at a range and seeing range theatrics. This is by no means ment to you however this is what a LOT of folks do. They YouTube gunsmith their gun, it isn’t reliable so they blame everything but themselves.

So any company that does warranty work usually void the warranty if they discover aftermarket parts or work. (Remington use to seal the internal set screws with a lacquer and if it was broken that ment someone tried adjusting and the owner was SOL)

So installing the OEM parts takes Ruger out of anything when they send it back.

As a Glock Armorer for Glock to cover me or my work if you end up sending it back OEM parts are required.

So while I get the agitation don’t take it personally

Top Bottom