• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mojo2530

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Cedar Lake
    im some what partial to the rugers i have but until now have not invested in any rifles ( other than 22lr). havent had the extra money to lay out for something that i hopefully wont need or get a chance to use very often. but im thinking of buy a rifle now, and was looking at the mini 14 and the ruger gunscout anyone have any expierience with either of these or any other ideas. i dont hunt or at least havent yet (maybe someday) so the hunting laws arent really a consideration. it will be more for the hobby of shooting every once in a while, and checked of the shtf list. thanks for any opinions .

badmac183

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    May 25, 2011
    hamlet, IN
    My uncle had a mini 14 for awhile it was pretty fun to shoot, it could also be an acceptable SHTF weapon.
    You could also look at the mini 30 (7.62x39).

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    The mini is ok but don't expect accuracy I have tried every trick over the years and owned 5 the ranch and two standard a four inch gun for sure but don't expect moire there will new plenty of folks that there is better but I think they are exceptions not the rule

AmericanBob

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    i love my mini 30. it'll put a round where ever i want it to go and it goes bang every time i pull the trigger. as far as their other rifles go, i can't help you there. i do have my eye on a red label. we'll just have to see how kind the tax fairy is this year.

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    Solid platform

Well I love all the Rugers I have I LOVE.....The M77 is a very solid platform and everyone that I know that has an M77 LOVE THEM and wouldn't trade them for the world. The only thing I would expect and be prepared for is a HEAVY recoil...with the weight of the gun, and the barrel length I would think it would thump you good.

strahd71

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    wanatah
    i'm not an expert on rugers or anything else for that matter but, here is my experience. ruger is all over the place when it comes to quality and accuracy in my limited experience. if you find a good one then its really good,, if its bad well you could always throw it at the target. i'm sure there are other companies out there like this. but at this point i shy away from them a bit

jake

Slapstick

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    I have 3 mini's and they all have been reliable, fun guns to shoot. They are the old "pencil" barrel models and they do have a tendency to string the shots after the barrel get hot so accuracy isn't they're strong suit when firing 20 or so rounds quickly. I added a barrel strut to 2 of them and that closed up the groups and kept the stringing down. What were once 4 -5 inch shooters at a 100 yards are now closer to 2- 3 inch shooters. They may actually be a little better but I have red dots on them so I don't know if a scope would help me tighten up the groups further but for plinkiing they're just fine the way they are.

I helped a friend sight in a red dot on a new model tactical mini with the tapered barrel a couple of weeks back. After we got it sighted in he was able to shoot 1 -1 1/2 inch 10 shot groups at 50 yards, (yeah I hate him! He doesn't shoot much, he's just one of those natural shooters that doesn't practice and still out shoots you). Anyway, if you're in the market for a mini I'd get one with the newer tapered barrel, they're much more accurate than the "pencil" barreled ones.

Just my :twocents:

.356luger

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    martinsville
    This is what I think about rugers, I have owned 3 and shot probably 10 models. The ruger triggers leave a lot to be desired . On the other hand 10 min on brownells and 45 min on the work bench and you can have damn nice trigger that cost 40 bucks. All my rugers have been very accurate (gp100, 77/44, 10/22,) the rings leave a lot to be desired as well. They are blocky and kind of ugly. But in the event of a nuclear attack there will be twinkies, cock roaches, and rugers. They are built like a brick shi* house some of of my reloading guides have an "*" for "ruger use only". They are very customizable and user friendly to work on. I love those guns plus I believe the p89 takes 32 round mags from an Uzi. They are my go beat around the brush guns.

Top Bottom