• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LuckyLeftFoot

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2013
    Indianapolis

So I think I want a wheel gun and I decided the GP 100 is the one for me. I'm just having trouble deciding between the 3" and 4". I don't plan on carrying it other than as a woods/camping gun, so I'm not worried about concealing it. what're the advantages/disadvantages of both sizes? I've pretty much decided on the blued version as well. That is unless somebody can sway me. Also, does anybody kid any shops that carry either in the Indy area? I normally go to Plainfield Shooting Supplies, but when I called the other day they didn't have any in stock. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

-Lucky

easy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2010
    SEOK
    4" = longer sight radius, theoretically more accurate. Stainless won't rust like a blue gun. Both are quite shiney. Mine is 4" stainless. My wife says it's 'pretty'.

Contender

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2014
    Lawrence County
    I would buy stainless if I were going to carry it much. Even though I buy blue over stainless every time in a long gun I like a stainless revolver, just seems like they clean up around the cylinder better after shooting. I am not a Ruger fan anymore but must say out of the 6 I have had the GP100 is the one I wish I had back. It was a 4" barrel, accurate and an all around good gun. The 4" barrel was easy to carry.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    GP-100=GREAT Woods Gun..

I have had more than several of the GP-100's--In 4" and 6", in both stainless+Blue..

Over time, I have sold off all of my GP's, except a 4"-Half-Lug-Fixed Sight Stainless model.. I will keep this one--GREAT Woods, fishing, camping gun, that shoots to the point of aim with the fixed sights, with most any 150-160 grain bullet.

This one is my KEEPER...Bill.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I own a GP100 with 3", with 4" half lug, and a 4" Security Six. The only advantages to a 3" is ease of concealment and ARGUABLY a faster point/more maneuverable feel. The 4" is your standard 'duty' size and will run about 100 fps faster than a 3" with the same ammo. Accuracy is, in theory, going to be better with the 4" due to sight radius, however I see little if any difference at reasonable ranges between the two.

I'd go stainless. Especially for sweaty hikes and the like, its going to hold up better than blued.

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Again like most here, I would say the 4" for 1. You say it's not for concealment and 2. The 4" will be more accurate because the 4" will have adjustable sights (unless you really search and find an older 4" Ruger use to offer with Optional fixed) and 3. There are a heck of a lot more 4" GP 100's floating around on dealers shelves at any given time than the 3" model.

Either one is a fine gun but from the parameters you mention the 4" would be THE ONE!

Good Luck

goColt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    Boone County
    As stated earlier longer a longer barrel equals a longer sight radius. It also will give a little more velocity and accuracy. The added weight at the muzzle will help with "muzzle flip" and the overall added weight may help with reducing felt recoil. Since you said you are not going to carry it, then there is really no reason to go with a shorter barrel as long as you don't mind the extra weight. As for the finish, as stated earlier the SS is easier to maintain, however the preference for finish is a very subjective and basically is up to you. As far as finding them, I'd just call around. If you are on the west side, 500 Guns, Bradis, Plainfield are your best bets for volume. Two other smaller shops to check are C&C in Clermont and Fort Liberty in Avon are places to check. I hope this helps.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    I agree with the 4 inch barrel for all the reasons already stated. One other reason that has not been mentioned, and maybe this is just me, but if you are shooting full power magnum loads, you get a lot of muzzle blast. This is noticed more, with shorter barrels. As far stainless, I have never felt the need. I kept a revolver in my truck through winter, summer, for over 10 years, and no rust. If it is in a holster and you wipe it down before you put it up for the day, you should be fine. This is my GP. Bought it new in 1989. Great Revolver.
    0603130022_zps5719833d.jpg

bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    The only revolver I own.

Of course, it isn't stock.

4" SS GP100 cylinder milled for use with moonclips, trigger worked over and a better front sight.
    Factory Hogue grips swapped out for the older Ruger type with custom inserts.
    GP100_002.JPG

The Drifter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    Cedar Lake
    The GP-100 does not come in a 4 inch barrel ,it comes 4 1/4 inch. It is legal for deer hunting ,a 4 inch would not be. You will save about 100 dollars in the blued vs stainless . Also if you buy it new on line you will get a better price [no sales tax ] just call your favorite gun store and find out what they charge for FFL .Should be about 30 bucks. I have a blued gp-100 and a 22 year old model 19 SW blued, that I have carried off and on for years -0 rust. Less shine .

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    Have you looked at the SP-101? If you want a short barrel gun that would be the way to go. If not then go with the 4" GP-100. IMO, they are great revolvers and very accurate. BTW, go stainless you will not regret it after holstering as your woods/camping gun. Blued guns finish wear badly in holsters and that in turn kills their resale value.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    get the 4" -- it has ADJUSTABLE sights. Also, for when you shoot 357 magnum, the extra inch of barrel give you better burn
    the 3" model doesn't (both the regular 3" and the Wiley Clapp)

I prefer stainless, but you can save some by getting blued.
    I went through this EXACT same decision process about 6 months ago and got the 4" and I love it!!!!

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    The GP-100 does not come in a 4 inch barrel ,it comes 4 1/4 inch. It is legal for deer hunting ,a 4 inch would not be. You will save about 100 dollars in the blued vs stainless . Also if you buy it new on line you will get a better price [no sales tax ] just call your favorite gun store and find out what they charge for FFL .Should be about 30 bucks. I have a blued gp-100 and a 22 year old model 19 SW blued, that I have carried off and on for years -0 rust. Less shine .

Technically, he's right. it is 4.25" barrel. Also makes it legal in Canada. BUT I THINK WE ALL KNOW THAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT THAT MODEL :)
    I shopped around and ended up getting mine online.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    The only revolver I own.

Of course, it isn't stock.

4" SS GP100 cylinder milled for use with moonclips, trigger worked over and a better front sight.
    Factory Hogue grips swapped out for the older Ruger type with custom inserts.
    GP100_002.JPG

WHO did your moonclip conversion? Local?

Top Bottom